Nightforce Hunting Scope

KurtR

WKR
Try 28 minutes after sunset in severely overcast conditions with some range added...I could not even make out a deer at 260 yards through my SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 (which has pretty good glass) last week one evening that I could pretty easily identify through my 10x50 Leupold BX-4's. No way I could have attempted an ethical shot.

whats the difference between severely overcast and just over cast? i guess i couldnt make a deer out once in a blizzard at noon so there is that.

ChrisAU

WKR
whats the difference between severely overcast and just over cast? i guess i couldnt make a deer out once in a blizzard at noon so there is that.

There is a stark difference in 30 minutes after sunset with clear skies, partly cloudy skies, and heavily clouded skies in the amount of light available. I'm not sure how else to explain the difference in the ability of sunlight to penetrate various thicknesses of cloud cover.

I actually prefer the overcast days for hunting because the deer seem to move earlier. On days with clear skies I could hunt for an hour after sunset with a Wal Mart Tasco. But I've also been in legal light (half an hour after sunset here) and been blind with good glass. Twice last week actually.

KurtR

WKR
There is a stark difference in 30 minutes after sunset with clear skies, partly cloudy skies, and heavily clouded skies in the amount of light available. I'm not sure how else to explain the difference in the ability of sunlight to penetrate various thicknesses of cloud cover.

I actually prefer the overcast days for hunting because the deer seem to move earlier. On days with clear skies I could hunt for an hour after sunset with a Wal Mart Tasco. But I've also been in legal light (half an hour after sunset here) and been blind with good glass. Twice last week actually.

So severely is right after heavily? Relax messing with you. what glass were you not able to use?

ChrisAU

WKR
So severely is right after heavily? Relax messing with you. what glass were you not able to use?

Its somewhere after heavily but before incredibly.

SWFA 3-9x42. Had multiple instances the last few weeks in the whitetail woods at last light that it disappointed me in that regard, but that one stands out. I decided to try a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x56, came in today. Going to compare them this evening I hope. I don't think I'd have noticed it so much if not for the Leupold BX-4 10x50 binos I got a few weeks ago. One evening I was watching grass fall out of a does mouth at 65 yards and then couldn't see her very well at all through the scope, which soured me a bit on it considering I was watching her waiting on a buck to come push her. The scope has performed flawlessly as a mechanical tool, dialed for the elk in my avatar and a couple of whitetail this year and it has always been spot on and returned to zero. I still maintain it is an excellent lightweight dialing option for western hunting, but I'm starting to think there are better options for whitetail's that won't move until 3 minutes before the end of legal light any time but the rut it seems like.

KurtR

WKR
Its somewhere after heavily but before incredibly.

SWFA 3-9x42. Had multiple instances the last few weeks in the whitetail woods at last light that it disappointed me in that regard, but that one stands out. I decided to try a Meopta Optika 6 3-18x56, came in today. Going to compare them this evening I hope. I don't think I'd have noticed it so much if not for the Leupold BX-4 10x50 binos I got a few weeks ago. One evening I was watching grass fall out of a does mouth at 65 yards and then couldn't see her very well at all through the scope, which soured me a bit on it considering I was watching her waiting on a buck to come push her. The scope has performed flawlessly as a mechanical tool, dialed for the elk in my avatar and a couple of whitetail this year and it has always been spot on and returned to zero. I still maintain it is an excellent lightweight dialing option for western hunting, but I'm starting to think there are better options for whitetail's that won't move until 3 minutes before the end of legal light any time but the rut it seems like.

i would say the 42 mm objective is hampering more than glass quality. The 56 should do the job dang good

I have the SHV 6-20, took the caps off and have never turned back. Scope has a solid zero stop that is adjustable. Glass is some of the best out there and specially for the price. Great scope all around.

OP
General RE LEE
Bright clear glass makes a huge difference hunting the last 30 minutes of legal light from a tree stand in the woods. I challenge someone to make out features of a deer on a cloudy day in the woods with with cheap glass vs quality glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE
Where I hunt the big boys don’t step out till literally the last 2 minutes of legal. I challenge someone to compare cheap glass to bright glass with a deer 300 yards away in a field that has woods in the background.

KurtR

WKR
Bright clear glass makes a huge difference hunting the last 30 minutes of legal light from a tree stand in the woods. I challenge someone to make out features of a deer on a cloudy day in the woods with with cheap glass vs quality glass.

Don’t make a habit of using junk and there is nothing in night force line up that won’t perform. Glass still isn’t at the top of the list as using a scope that will return to zero and has quality internals the glass takes care of its self.

khuber84

WKR
As soon you get proficient at 600y, you're going to want to go further. I'd say a 4-16x44 atacr, or leupold mk5hd 3.6-18x44. These are both great scopes with the mk5hd being 5 ounces lighter at 25oz weight. The glass is great, but the atacr has a slightly better eyebox. Turrets/parallax/image quality are very close. You can get the leupold for under 1500$ the pr1-moa reticle from leupold is great for long range shooting. And at 4-5x is still usable for close shots. I really like the mk5hd line. But the atacr is a great rugged reliable scope, it's just a bit hefty.

For hunting and recreational shooting to 600 I’d run a SHV 3-10 if budget allows the NXS 2.5-10 is awesome also. Both come in a few different reticles also.
Which model ? The illuminated does not have a parallax adjustment (not sure how that will effect shooting out to 600)

Which model ? The illuminated does not have a parallax adjustment (not sure how that will effect shooting out to 600)
If you want adjustable parallax try to find an older used model most are non illuminated. For 600 yards if you have it adjusted properly you would be fine with the fixed parallax also.