Nightforce Hunting Scope

mt100gr.

WKR
It's plenty fine for dialing. I like the protected turrets. And not having zero stop is not an issue. It's indexed for number of revolutions. Just note (hint: put a sticker on top of that covered turret) which revolution zero is on and it's great.

OP
General RE LEE
Hmmm yep I already have a VX5HD that is superb in low light, no tracking issues yet and is purpose built to dial. Maybe I’ll get another VX5HD vs a SHV with a cap on the elevation turret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
Hmmm yep I already have a VX5HD that is superb in low light, no tracking issues yet and is purpose built to dial. Maybe I’ll get another VX5HD vs a SHV with a cap on the elevation turret.

That, my friend, would be a serious gamble in the dialing department. There are tradeoffs in what you're looking for. ....

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I shoot out to 500 regularly with my nightforce shv 3-10 (kimber Montana 308), you can dial it just fine, I like the capped turret but still having the ability to dial if I feel the need. I keep it zeroed at 200yds but I play with the dial quite a bit when shooting past that. They have been an awesome scopes, I have a few of them.

I was trying to sell one for a few weeks here on the classifieds, had a lot of tire kickers luckily no takers and I came to my senses and have decided to just hold on to it.

I’m not trying to offend anyone here, but why would someone want a custom turret that is rarely ever going to be exactly perfect, vs learning/knowing how to dial for individual situations and environmental conditions. I see a lot of mention of custom turrets. Instead of being committed to a single custom turret for one set of environmental particulars, why not just make your own (if you insist on having one) with a tape strip? Atleast then you can make it to match the environmentals at the time of your hunt.

Let me preface by saying I’m a Night Force fan. I’ve competed with them for many years. I have 3 of the FFP ATACR F1’s in 5-25, one ATACR F1 4-16, and one F1 7-35. That being said, I think the SHV line is one of those “you get exactly what you pay for” type of products. Just the same as Vortex has their Razor line and then there is all their other lower end products.

If you have a budget to stick with, go for the SHV. If this is a scope that you plan to crank on the turrets a lot for target shooting, it’s not a matter of if it will fail, but rather when it will fail. If you have the extra money, take a look at the new (2019) NXS offerings. They have 30mm main tubes to cut down on weight. The turrets are made to be dialed. Open elevation with capped windage. Solid zero stop feature.

****Just remembered you wanted a duplex reticle. None of the new NXS line is going to offer that. It’s a rare occasion that someone wants a target scope made for dialing with a blank reticle. Blank meaning absolutely nothing to use in the reticle for correcting missed shots.

OP
General RE LEE
I’m not trying to offend anyone here, but why would someone want a custom turret that is rarely ever going to be exactly perfect, vs learning/knowing how to dial for individual situations and environmental conditions. I see a lot of mention of custom turrets. Instead of being committed to a single custom turret for one set of environmental particulars, why not just make your own (if you insist on having one) with a tape strip? Atleast then you can make it to match the environmentals at the time of your hunt.

Let me preface by saying I’m a Night Force fan. I’ve competed with them for many years. I have 3 of the FFP ATACR F1’s in 5-25, one ATACR F1 4-16, and one F1 7-35. That being said, I think the SHV line is one of those “you get exactly what you pay for” type of products. Just the same as Vortex has their Razor line and then there is all their other lower end products.

If you have a budget to stick with, go for the SHV. If this is a scope that you plan to crank on the turrets a lot for target shooting, it’s not a matter of if it will fail, but rather when it will fail. If you have the extra money, take a look at the new (2019) NXS offerings. They have 30mm main tubes to cut down on weight. The turrets are made to be dialed. Open elevation with capped windage. Solid zero stop feature.

****Just remembered you wanted a duplex reticle. None of the new NXS line is going to offer that. It’s a rare occasion that someone wants a target scope made for dialing with a blank reticle. Blank meaning absolutely nothing to use in the reticle for correcting missed shots.

I got rid of the custom CDS dial in my VX5HD and will just use a ballistic app and the MOA turret.

KurtR

WKR

Why because people want easy and have seen to much of the 1000 yards out of the box bs. You mean i cant just point the gun at 1000 yards do a bunch of "clicks" to a number on the twisty thing and hit every thing. Learning takes time and work. You are 100% right on.

I have the SHV in 4-14 x50 and the moa reticle first focal plane. Great low light and super clear. I love that scope easy to dial in .

LaHunter

WKR

I agree, if someone is going to be shooting PRS or some other type of application where you are dialing a ton, then the SHV is probably not the best choice. Just look at what most of the PRS guys are using. That is a whole different ball game. If someone is looking for a scope that is used primarily for hunting / target practice, then the SHV line would be a good option. I don't think I would compare the SHV line to the non Razor Vortex scopes however. The NF SHV seems to have a much better track record for reliability.

OP
General RE LEE
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very stout build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop.
Good glass, Moar reticle is nice,
Illuminated.

How is the MOAR reticle in brush/dark backgrounds without illumination?

OP
General RE LEE
Also how does NXS glass compare to VX5HD or VX6HD? My VX5HD has some seriously clear glass and major FOV at low power.

HuntnPack

WKR
General,, For me I’ve used a few NF & the Moar reticle is my favorite. Most of my use has been in more open clear cuts etc. & open country, most times I use w/o illumination without issue. The 2.5 nxs is my first with the smaller reticle which I kinda like, but if strictly used in brush etc. for some guys a larger duplex style may be better, & or illumination . I’ll be utilizing the illuminated feature more tho as my eyes are getting older. I’ve messed around outside with this 2.5 & really like the red & Green lit reticle.
Variable intensity settings is a big plus.
As far as glass compared to the Vx5 I’ve owned it is comparable. The NXS
Gets the nod if dialing turrets.
the NF 2.5 is just a little tank of a scope.
Feels & looks tough !! ie..Reliable.
Mine is going on a lightweight backpack rifle.
hope that helps.....

WKR
Son used an SHV for several years. He removed the cap on top and never put it back on lol. Caused zero issues hunting in all kinds of weather and scope dialed very well for him. He had a Moar reticle in it and sold it to go with mil in a different scope. Hard to beat the SHV prices I have been seeing.

That said, I really like the little 2.5-10x42 NXS I just bought.

Jon Boy

WKR
Son used an SHV for several years. He removed the cap on top and never put it back on lol. Caused zero issues hunting in all kinds of weather and scope dialed very well for him. He had a Moar reticle in it and sold it to go with mil in a different scope. Hard to beat the SHV prices I have been seeing.

That said, I really like the little 2.5-10x42 NXS I just bought.
I lost my cap for my Shv and never replaced it, zero issues. I put a piece of blue tape flush under the turret to act as my zero stop in case I forget how many revolutions I dial or it gets moved (never happened btw) Works great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Try 28 minutes after sunset in severely overcast conditions with some range added...I could not even make out a deer at 260 yards through my SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 (which has pretty good glass) last week one evening that I could pretty easily identify through my 10x50 Leupold BX-4's. No way I could have attempted an ethical shot.