Nightforce NX8 vs NXS??

JP100

WKR
Looking for a new scope for a 'long range' rifle I have for shooting feral goats(more like a PRS set up. so not specifically a hunting rifle.
Currently looking at a 5.5-25 NXS or the 2.5-20 NX8

I have never seen a NX8 in person.

Any glass differences between the two??

I have used a NXS in the field before. and found they work well
I do not need super bright glass(primarily daytime shooting), but my main concern is eye relief and eye box

I have used higher zoom scopes before and find the eye box/eye relief gets more fussy with higher mag ranges(ie 5x scope vs a 8x scope)
I shoot alot of awkward angles, uphill down hill etc, so good eye box is essential

I would recommend the 4-32x NX8 but just treat it like a 4-24x as the eyebox can get tight above 24x. The NXS is still a great scope but I prefer the FFP and capped windage available in the NX8.

A Mark5 would also be an excellent choice.

I have the 4-32 nx8 and the 5.5-22 nxs. The nx8 is slightly nicer. But not nice enough for me to mess with selling my nxs to buy another nx8. If you want an F1 you'll need to go nx8. If you want an f2 go with the nxs. I believe you would be pleased with both.

I really don't understand why people complain so much about the "eye box" of the nx8. It's no worse than any other 25+ power optic I've looked through.

I had a 22x NXS for many years and now have a 32x NX8. The nx8 is better than the nxs in every way. Glass seems better but it could be I was just used to the crappy swfa glass that the nx8 replaced. There is no eye box issue if you use a full rail for mounting.

I much prefer the NXS over the NX8, especially the 2.5-10! The NXS has a far more forgiving eyebox and is more user friendly. That said, I also think 25x is way too much in SFP. FOV matters and that much mag shrinks it too much. Does more harm than good. If you want to stay SFP, the 3-15x50 NXS is your huckleberry.

What's everyone's thoughts on F1 or F2 for the 4-32 NX8 for hunting applications? I'm trying to decide which one to buy myself.

Haven't hunted with the nx8 yet, end of this month, but running it at 22-22x looks fine (moar) and that's where it'll be for most of my hunting. I'll do some shooting at 10x ish for this months Bear hunt but don't see an issue if I need to dial the power down. I hunted many years with the 22x nxs and never had an issue but my rifle hunting is in open country, if you're walking thru a pine or fir forest you might want to have the option to turn the power down. The nx8 mag ring doesn't turn the whole eye piece like the nxs.

What's everyone's thoughts on F1 or F2 for the 4-32 NX8 for hunting applications? I'm trying to decide which one to buy myself.
I had and F1 NX8 and hated it - ultimately sold it and bought the F2 NX8. At low magnification I could barely make out the reticle on the F1. I didn't try with illumination, so maybe that would have made a difference...

I'd recommend you look through each focal plane to see what you prefer.

I had and F1 NX8 and hated it - ultimately sold it and bought the F2 NX8. At low magnification I could barely make out the reticle on the F1. I didn't try with illumination, so maybe that would have made a difference...

I'd recommend you look through each focal plane to see what you prefer.

I'm definitely leaning towards F2 because I'd like to have the option to shoot stuff inside of 100 yards on minimum zoom. The sub tensions at 16x seem to make it very usable for intermediate ranges as well. Always like to hear others opinions before I finalize the purchase.

I have the 2.5-20x NX8 and I personally like it a lot, never really noticed a finicky eye box and I’ve never had an issue where I couldn’t make out my target. Generally at first and last light I’ll turn on the illumination on the minimum to light up the reticle but after that I can typically shoot without it.

No experience with the NXS to compare as I prefer First Focal Plane optics.

If I was in your shoes I’d be looking at a Mk5 3-18 or a Zeiss LRP S3 over an NX8.

I find both quite a bit easier to get behind than the NX8 or NXS, and definition/clarity is significantly better on the Zeiss.
I’m really not a huge fan of Leupold reticles but the optics make up for it imo.

It’s a pretty odd mix of scopes you’ve mentioned so far. On here you’ll get a bunch of people regurgitating stuff that will tell you NF. I’d say you should give more info on your end goal. What cartridge are you using, in what conditions, how far & how close, what size targets, weight goal, budget, preferences?

I was shooting a 2.5-20 NX8 a few weeks back, and I wouldn’t have taken that scope for free. Personally, if you’re going NF, I'd tell you to step up to the ATACR line. Otherwise, I’d take a gen 2 razor or Mark 5 over an NXS or NX8. A used 4-16x42 ATACR can regularly be found for $1800(ish) in the US, and competes more directly with a Mk5 and Gen 2 Razor. From the 4-16 ATACRs, 4.5-27 G2Rs, and 3.6-18 MK5 that I've had, I think they are all decent mid-tier choices.

I dont think its an odd mix.
My end use is 'goat shooting', not really hunting as such, but basically killing goats at everything from inside 100 to 600+ yards. The rifle for this scope is a Tikka .260 in a Chassis(basically like a a PRS build)

I would like a minimum around 4-5x and a max around 20-25x, FFP and I prefer MIL over MOA as is just less math in my brain(or seems that way). Often shooting multiple animals and multiple ranges, so sometimes I am not dialing and just holding. Weight isnt really a concern.
I want a good eye box and good eye relief for awkward shooting angles/positions.
Conditions wise, everything, rain, sun, snow, wind, mountains etc.

On the table right now are
NXS 5.5-25x56(maybe no FFP??)
NX8 2.5-20x x 50 (worried too much mag range will get a fussy eye box, and 20x with a 50mm objective)
Mark 5 5-25x x 56mm(found one locally at not a bad price so leading choice)
and maybe a vortex razor 4.7-27 x 56mm(just dont like vortex, had a 100% failure on the 3 products ive owned)

I am in NZ, so pricing and availability are very different for me(potentially going to import one anyway)

and maybe a vortex razor 4.7-27 x 56mm(just dont like vortex, had a 100% failure on the 3 products ive owned)
Be cognizant of the fact that Gen II Razors are a total boat anchor of a scope. Like seriously, I don’t consider myself a weight weenie, but they are HEAVY. Great on a PRS rifle but any rifle lighter than about 10 pounds and things get a little topsy turvy.

The 5-25 Leupold is a solid choice especially sans-import bs.

I’ve culled a lot of goats with an NXS 3.5-15x50. That’d be my choice. I think it’s the right magnification range for what you describe. I have 2.5-10x42 NXSs on my true hunting (not culling) rifles.

Back