Nightforce NXS

Does anyone have feedback on the NXS? I’m considering the 5-22x56 for a rugged hunting scope. I realize these are heavy but it seems to check most of the boxes for me. Other option is Maven RS5. Would appreciate any feedback on the NXS in regards to comparisons to other scopes and overall results with glass quality and tracking. Thanks!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
Not the model you are looking at but I have 3 of the NXS Compacts on my primary hunting rifles and they have been 100% bulletproof and work perfectly for my hunting. They are a great scope IMHO.
That’s awesome! Those compacts look neat! Have you compared glass to any other similar scopes? I’m leaning towards this scope for its ruggedness

I have compared it to a few different scopes and for my eyes its pretty darn nice. I just sold a Schmidt & Bender PM II 10x42 to buy another Compact. Most will agree the glass in a S&B is about as good as it gets and again for my eyes the NXS held up when compared side by side. Maybe not as crisp as the S&B but overall its a fantastic scope when you look at all the features you get. The Compact is 20.5 ozs which is about as lightweight as you can find for a scope that you can dial and will hold up.

The only other scopes I have to compare to are all Leupolds - not even worth comparing.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I have compared it to a few different scopes and for my eyes its pretty darn nice. I just sold a Schmidt & Bender PM II 10x42 to buy another Compact. Most will agree the glass in a S&B is about as good as it gets and again for my eyes the NXS held up when compared side by side. Maybe not as crisp as the S&B but overall its a fantastic scope when you look at all the features you get. The Compact is 20.5 ozs which is about as lightweight as you can find for a scope that you can dial and will hold up.

The only other scopes I have to compare to are all Leupolds - not even worth comparing.
This is helpful thank you! I am moving from an LHT as I’m just not comfortable using it on certain trips. It just seems that NF can be trusted no matter where you go and I want to have that peace of mind. Thanks for the feedback!

cmahoney

WKR
I have had that same scope with a MOAR reticle on my 300 RUM for 7 years. It’s been great. I have total confidence in it, even if I take a spill and bump my rifle. Smart move going to NF, the money you save on a vortex isn’t worth it when you factor in a missed shot and all the expenses associated with that trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is helpful thank you! I am moving from an LHT as I’m just not comfortable using it on certain trips. It just seems that NF can be trusted no matter where you go and I want to have that peace of mind. Thanks for the feedback!
I think you will be happy with the NXS. I actually bought a LHT HD thinking it would be a good option - much cheaper and seems to get pretty good reviews so far. But just couldn't bring myself to mount it on my rifle so sold it and got another NXS which IMHO is worth the extra $$$

wapitibob

WKR
I had an NXS for years, they can have a parallax issue. I didn't notice it on mine but it's the only thing holding me back from getting one. I've looked at the LHT and Mark5's and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Atacr's aren't much more than an nxs if you get a show demo and they're better than an nxs.

Have any of you using the NXS had any issue with the windage spinning on you while on your pack? Thats the one thing that makes me nervous having an exposed windage turret. They arent a locking windage turret correct?

I've got the NXS on my long range rifle, and some other makes/models/brands. Swarovskis have a bit brighter glass and more forgiving eye box, but the turrets on the Nightforce are more reliable in my opinion.

With regards to the windage turret, I agree that locking would be nice. I hold for wind and dial for elevation. Just make sure you zero your turret once your rifle is zeroed and you can easily see if it has turned. The detents are pretty good and it doesn't spin easily, but it could get knocked off in the field.

I've got the NXS on my long range rifle, and some other makes/models/brands. Swarovskis have a bit brighter glass and more forgiving eye box, but the turrets on the Nightforce are more reliable in my opinion.

With regards to the windage turret, I agree that locking would be nice. I hold for wind and dial for elevation. Just make sure you zero your turret once your rifle is zeroed and you can easily see if it has turned. The detents are pretty good and it doesn't spin easily, but it could get knocked off in the field.
I only have 2 hunting seasons on the NXS but so far no issues with the windage moving while out hunting. Like Gunner posted after I get it sighted in I zero the windage and can quickly look to see if its been knocked off but so far so good (y)

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR

It’s a non issue

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I have had that same scope with a MOAR reticle on my 300 RUM for 7 years. It’s been great. I have total confidence in it, even if I take a spill and bump my rifle. Smart move going to NF, the money you save on a vortex isn’t worth it when you factor in a missed shot and all the expenses associated with that trip.

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like you have had a good experience with it!

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I think you will be happy with the NXS. I actually bought a LHT HD thinking it would be a good option - much cheaper and seems to get pretty good reviews so far. But just couldn't bring myself to mount it on my rifle so sold it and got another NXS which IMHO is worth the extra $$$
Good to know thank you! The LHT is pretty neat but this forum digging many posts has made me realize the value of durability. It just seems like NF is on another level.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I had an NXS for years, they can have a parallax issue. I didn't notice it on mine but it's the only thing holding me back from getting one. I've looked at the LHT and Mark5's and just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Atacr's aren't much more than an nxs if you get a show demo and they're better than an nxs.
I’ll check those out! I have the LHT but looking to go NF for durability. Thanks for the feedback

OP
Kyle Wheeler

Which reticle do you have? I am liking the MOAR standard option and think this will be nice for long range shooting or hunting.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
What do the demos usually go for? Thanks!
Euro Optic or RedHawk demos are the lowest I’m seeing. I’m sure EBay or classifieds they will pop up. I’m on the hunt and don’t see many deals on NF. I see that as a good thing haha.

Reactions: BCD