Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 opinions?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m interested in this scope, I’ve had the shv and nxs but not this model. Can people who own or have used this one tell me about it?

Thanks!!!

I love mine. Tracking and RTZ are awesome. Glass is pretty good also. I made a zero stop for mine once I got it zeroed.
I have the MOAR reticle and have had no issues with it even in low light.

sndmn11

WKR
I like ours.

My uncle has one and the FFP reticle is too thin for my liking at 4x. With the illumination it is fine there. At higher power it is fine. My bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x has noticeably better eyebox, eye relief, glass, reticle at low power, and has not missed a beat with tracking.

Shraggs

WKR
Recently picked one up, have not shot it yet. Form, and lawnbi both felt it is one of the best choices if retention of zero is important - snd is actually available, wanted an swfa 3-9. Right good luck.

It’s a NF. I trust it.

The eye box is a bit tight but very manageable.

I think 3.1” eye relief, a bit short for me on my tikka. The bell is big so had limitations moving it back. I stuck with sport match t084 rings and figured I’d be close. Something above 13mm and no issue. I plan on shortening the lop by cutting the butt stock down so I’ll solve that.

In general I like the reticle, it’s close to my preference in swfa in format, mils of course. Definitely thinner. For up close and on 4x the illumination certainly overcomes inability to use it the darker timber. Not sure I’m going to like the broken windage at every 2 mils or not, but it’s odd in appearance.

This is a set up for over 500 yards, as below that I have covered. It’s a 6.5 cm, but I may make a 6 cm, waffling. Love spotting my own, and the weight was a negative but honestly the rifle is pretty light and the weight will be a benefit. Ymmv.

Overall this is my favorite scope. I put one on my Tikka .223 "trainer" to test Mil and FFP. I wish they made a 3-10x42 just like it.

HCMike

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m interested in this scope, I’ve had the shv and nxs but not this model. Can people who own or have used this one tell me about it?

Thanks!!!
Nightforce scopes for hunting are the best . 100% reliable in respect to tracking and durability, really good glass. Own a NXS which is a little heavy but well worth a few ounces. Ordered a SHV hoping to be the next best thing. Quality there but disappointed in 2 areas. First focal plane I did not like (my error not NF) but the eye relief was not acceptable. Being so short makes it very critical for full view.

BjornF16

WKR
Finally pulled the trigger on one. I’m still evaluating it on my .308 Win.

Don’t likes: Heavy (28.6 oz), longish

Likes: FFP, NF quality and reliability, good glass, capped windage, parallax distances seem accurate

Still evaluating: reticle (not as bad as I feared). Need to shoot with it at long range

(I also got NX8 4-32; waiting on 2.5-10 NXS)

I’ll probably put it on my Wby Backcountry 280 AI and hunt with it this season. That rifle is light enough to accommodate the weight.

That means I’ll probably sell the LRTS 3-12 that currently rides on the Backcountry

Last edited:

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought an shv after 20 years of all leupolds. A guy I know is a buyer for the military, after listening to what he does to them, I bought one. I wanted tough and simple, I think I got all that in an shv 3-10 x 42 . So far so good

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Two of my hunting pards have them on their Christensen Ridgelines. One has a 6.5-284 and a 300WM and put the the 4-14x50 with MilR reticle on both of them. They dial and return to zero perfectly so far. Little heavy but with the lightweight Ridgeline it's not too bad.

I wish they would put the elevation turret on the 3-10x42.

TheCougar

WKR
Finally pulled the trigger on one. I’m still evaluating it on my .308 Win.

Don’t likes: Heavy (28.6 oz), longish

Likes: FFP, NF quality and reliability, good glass, capped windage, parallax distances seem accurate

Still evaluating: reticle (not as bad as I feared). Need to shoot with it at long range

(I also got NX8 4-32; waiting on 2.5-10 NXS)

I’ll probably put it on my Wby Backcountry 280 AI and hunt with it this season. That rifle is light enough to accommodate the weight.

That means I’ll probably sell the LRTS 3-12 that currently rides on the Backcountry
Any reports back on this? Looking at upgrading/adding scopes and the list of scopes is the SHV, NX8 (not sure which one), and Ten mile. ATACR and ZP5 are out of the budget.

BjornF16

WKR
Any reports back on this? Looking at upgrading/adding scopes and the list of scopes is the SHV, NX8 (not sure which one), and Ten mile. ATACR and ZP5 are out of the budget.
Solid scope. I’ve mostly given up on my lightweight quest in favor of reliability.

I’ve put this scope on a 375 H&H for load development. Handles the recoil fine.

I’ll just say also my Tenmile is currently my favorite scope, followed by NX8 4-32

TheCougar

WKR
Solid scope. I’ve mostly given up on my lightweight quest in favor of reliability.

I’ve put this scope on a 375 H&H for load development. Handles the recoil fine.

I’ll just say also my Tenmile is currently my favorite scope, followed by NX8 4-32
I may end up with one of each…. How is the eye box on the NX8? I hunt with my kids and I need a scope that’s easy to get behind without scope shadow.

I've been able to use a 20x NX8 and I didn't care for the eye box at all. I've heard the 32x is better but I've got no experience with that one.

BjornF16

WKR
I may end up with one of each…. How is the eye box on the NX8? I hunt with my kids and I need a scope that’s easy to get behind without scope shadow.
I think the eyebox issue is overblown. I’ve had the NX8 in 2.5-20 as well but moved that on only because it was MOA and I didn’t find the reticle useful at 2x and 3x. I’m happy with the 4-32. I don’t shoot at 32x except on range. Eyebox is a non-issue for me.

TheCougar

WKR
I think the eyebox issue is overblown. I’ve had the NX8 in 2.5-20 as well but moved that on only because it was MOA and I didn’t find the reticle useful at 2x and 3x. I’m happy with the 4-32. I don’t shoot at 32x except on range. Eyebox is a non-issue for me.
Which reticle do you have?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

The eyebox issue on the NX8’s is greatly exaggerated. Having said that, 20x and 32x scopes even turned down, are not the scope for kids and easy eyeboxes.

TheCougar

WKR
The eyebox issue on the NX8’s is greatly exaggerated. Having said that, 20x and 32x scopes even turned down, are not the scope for kids and easy eyeboxes.
Since, you are here...

Any recommendations? I think I am going to sell my LRHS scopes. I love them and they work, but Bushnell discontinued them, won't service or repair a 3-12 that lost zero, and doesn't make anything comparable for a replacement. I figure I would cut bait and go to a manufacturer that makes great scopes and not have to worry about service a decade from now.

Reliability is my number one goal. After that, its forgiveness and usability since I tend to take a lot of newer shooters out into the field. Must be FFP and a hunter reticle would be awesome as well. I tried the SWFA 3-15 and hated it - the image was terrible and the eyebox was unusable at about about 11x. I would wait for the new SWFA, but their current backorders are approaching a year, let alone selling a new product line. the 5-20 HD is a little high on magnifiction, but could work if the eyebox is more forgiving than the 3-15.

So I am looking at the NX8, SHV, (ATACR is out of my price range), and the Ten Mile... or waiting a year plus for the new SWFA scopes. Any other options I missed?

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Just bought an shv after 20 years of all leupolds. A guy I know is a buyer for the military, after listening to what he does to them, I bought one. I wanted tough and simple, I think I got all that in an shv 3-10 x 42 . So far so good

I have a 3-10 on my main hunting rifle, on a pic rail and rings that were torqued and loctited. I hunted 3rd season in CO, and it survived getting knocked over on some rocks, and then it was laying in the back of my 4runner uncased when I rolled it over 180 degrees. Zero was unchanged.

If they made it in an ffp, mil, exposed elevation turret model with a better reticle it would be nice, but at this point my confidence in their durability is pretty high.