Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 opinions?

As for the original question… I’ve got an SHV F1 and it’s been great overall. Yes it’s 30oz, and longer than other scopes, but it’s been super reliable for me. I find the Mil-R very usable even if the outer posts aren’t as thick as a mil-quad or others. I usually carry my SHV and ATACR 4-16 around 6x and it’s readable for fast shots.

I got mine used and feel it was the perfect choice for the price.

The eyebox issue on the NX8’s is greatly exaggerated. Having said that, 20x and 32x scopes even turned down, are not the scope for kids and easy eyeboxes.
I agree with this. I’ve shot both and own the 4-32. It’s better than the smaller one, but still not the best choice if user friendliness is the #1 criteria.

IME, the NXS’s or SHV’s are easier to get behind.

Since, you are here...

Any recommendations? I think I am going to sell my LRHS scopes. I love them and they work, but Bushnell discontinued them, won't service or repair a 3-12 that lost zero, and doesn't make anything comparable for a replacement. I figure I would cut bait and go to a manufacturer that makes great scopes and not have to worry about service a decade from now.

Reliability is my number one goal. After that, its forgiveness and usability since I tend to take a lot of newer shooters out into the field. Must be FFP and a hunter reticle would be awesome as well. I tried the SWFA 3-15 and hated it - the image was terrible and the eyebox was unusable at about about 11x. I would wait for the new SWFA, but their current backorders are approaching a year, let alone selling a new product line. the 5-20 HD is a little high on magnifiction, but could work if the eyebox is more forgiving than the 3-15.

So I am looking at the NX8, SHV, (ATACR is out of my price range), and the Ten Mile... or waiting a year plus for the new SWFA scopes. Any other options I missed?

I have used a bunch of 3-15x FFP SWFA’s and haven’t seen any that exhibited those issues. The 3-9x SWFA is the one, used they pop up often. The 5-20x is a very good scope and I would and do choose it over about any NF for hunting. Quite frankly no NF has a reticle that is great for all around hunting. The Tenmile 3-18x’s have been solid from what I’ve seen, and while the reticle is better than NF offers, it still isn’t ideal and leaves something to be desired in broken low light.

I have used a bunch of 3-15x FFP SWFA’s and haven’t seen any that exhibited those issues. The 3-9x SWFA is the one, used they pop up often. The 5-20x is a very good scope and I would and do choose it over about any NF for hunting. Quite frankly no NF has a reticle that is great for all around hunting. The Tenmile 3-18x’s have been solid from what I’ve seen, and while the reticle is better than NF offers, it still isn’t ideal and leaves something to be desired in broken low light.
thanks Form. I just got a Ten Mile. I’m debating between another Ten Mile, getting an ATACR and hiding the bill from my wife, or maybe waiting to see the new stuff from SWFA. I just bought a Rokslide special in 223 that’s going to get a Rokstock, and another one in 6.5 for a hunting rifle that I’ll probably put in a Rokstock as well.

Since, you are here...

Any recommendations? I think I am going to sell my LRHS scopes. I love them and they work, but Bushnell discontinued them, won't service or repair a 3-12 that lost zero, and doesn't make anything comparable for a replacement. I figure I would cut bait and go to a manufacturer that makes great scopes and not have to worry about service a decade from now.

Reliability is my number one goal. After that, its forgiveness and usability since I tend to take a lot of newer shooters out into the field. Must be FFP and a hunter reticle would be awesome as well. I tried the SWFA 3-15 and hated it - the image was terrible and the eyebox was unusable at about about 11x. I would wait for the new SWFA, but their current backorders are approaching a year, let alone selling a new product line. the 5-20 HD is a little high on magnifiction, but could work if the eyebox is more forgiving than the 3-15.

So I am looking at the NX8, SHV, (ATACR is out of my price range), and the Ten Mile... or waiting a year plus for the new SWFA scopes. Any other options I missed?

SWFA 3-9 is for sale on this forum right now. Merry Christmas!

I have a 3-10 on my main hunting rifle, on a pic rail and rings that were torqued and loctited. I hunted 3rd season in CO, and it survived getting knocked over on some rocks, and then it was laying in the back of my 4runner uncased when I rolled it over 180 degrees. Zero was unchanged.

If they made it in an ffp, mil, exposed elevation turret model with a better reticle it would be nice, but at this point my confidence in their durability is pretty high.
It's somewhat baffling that NF a lightweight Compact scope in both the NXS and SHV line an wont offer a FFP reticle. Yet they'll do FFP in high magnifcations models in the same line.

They do FFP LVPOs too, so its not like there is no market for lower magnifcation FFP optics.

Back