No more let off requirement for Colorado Big Game

Colorado removed their 80% letoff requirement for 2022. I’ve never shot a bow with more letoff than 80%, I’ll probably try 85% though since it’s an easy switch. Not sure I’ll like it to be honest. Any thoughts?

OP
streetdoctor
What do you think the extra 5% will do for you?
I held on an elk last season for nearly 3 minutes before firing. 5% is 5%? I pull pretty hard into the back wall though so don’t know that it will matter and may even cause some bad habits. Some guys like a 90% letoff though.

Just looking to create dialogue in case someone here knows more than I do which is almost certainly the case.

Marble

WKR
The extra 5% is great until you need to letdown.

Then factor in that string pressure is probably the least forgiving thing in broadhead flight, so I like low let off.

I wish I could find more 65% letoff.
That's how I feel. My current bow is 85% and when I have to let down its rough.

With my target bow at 65% is much easier.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

This is what makes the TRX 34 so attractive to me.

The 70v's are kinda hateful. But the 75's are nice.

I played with cables on my 40, it has 75's but they are down to an actual 67%. I can't remember what the 36 is, but it's a lot more. I have holding weight pretty close on both, but that 40 is 51# while the 36 is 59#.

I was going to go the 34 route, but really the 33 checks most all the boxes I was looking for with the 34. So far I got no complaints.

Reactions: Zac
Wow, glad to see the commission made such a hard decision..... This song is so fitting, replace Ohio with Colorado.

Has anyone in CO run into a CPW officer with a bow scale? Just curious how this was enforced previously, or if it was at all.

I actually lowered my letoff.
It was great at first but I found myself not respecting and nudging my anchor forward clear to the front of the valley and having unexpected mini collapses.

Has anyone in CO run into a CPW officer with a bow scale? Just curious how this was enforced previously, or if it was at all.
I’ve talked to MT FWP wardens who have said that they typically don’t check unless it’s blatantly somewhere on the bow.

I don’t get the big deal honestly. As long as you aren’t in the woods with a crossbow/compound that has 100% letoff what difference is 5 or 10% really gonna make for the shooter or the animal? Honestly, I find lower letoff easier to shoot consistently anyway as I’m sure most do.

I feel like most guys who would be against this are the same alarmist types who would also be against lighted nocks, mechanical broadheads and 209 primers - “OMG EVERYONE IS GONNA SWITCH TO ARCHERY/MUZZLELOADER NOW”. Maybe for a year or two until they realize that those mechanical broadheads/lighted nocks/209 primers don’t magically make every animal in a 2 mile radius suicidal.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was always curious how this was handled under the old law. PSE's newer bows are sold as 80-90% letoff, but if you measure it, depending what draw length slot you're using on the cam you could be over 80% letoff even though the draw stop was in the 80% setting.

I was always curious how this was handled under the old law. PSE's newer bows are sold as 80-90% letoff, but if you measure it, depending what draw length slot you're using on the cam you could be over 80% letoff even though the draw stop was in the 80% setting.
I’m not sure about CO but MT has in the regs it is as advertised by the bow manufacturer. If you are in the 80 slot or mods have 80 printed, you are good. The actual measured let off isn’t what they consider, at least that is how I understand it. I think it’s just from a practicality standpoint point.

Ches

FNG
I like 90% let off, at 68, 60 lbs and 90% let-of makes a great tree stand whitetail rig. In my younger years, I was all about speed, I still like it but comfort is way more important.

4ester

WKR
Higher letoff is not always a good thing. Deeper in the valley causes a delay in the arrow moving forward.

You will see most target archers will shoot between 18-22# holding weight. But to each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk