Northwest Montana elk boot

Tyahnke

FNG
I am doing my first elk hunt next fall in Northwest Montana. I know I’ll need some better boots than what we use in the Midwest. I’ve narrowed my search to the Briksdal Mtn with 3 flex and the Briksdal Mtn SF with a 5 flex. Guys with more experience in the mountain terrain what would you go with?

2-Stix

WKR
I would stay leather. Nevadas.

I run the laponnias, nevadas and wildrocks depending on the season I am hunting.

Last edited:
That depends on where and when. Some areas in NW Montana usually have at least 3 weeks of pouring rain followed by wet snow at best. The devil is in the details.

OP
T

Tyahnke

FNG
I am doing my first elk hunt next fall in Northwest Montana. I know I’ll need some better boots than what we use in the Midwest. I’ve narrowed my search to the Briksdal Mtn with 3 flex and the Briksdal Mtn SF with a 5 flex. Guys with more experience in the mountain terrain what would you go with?
Our hunt is the 3rd week of September up in the trout creek area.

Article 4

WKR
I have worn Crispi, Lathrop and Sons and Schnees throughout the years. They are all very good boots...including the Briksdal

First, get someone to fit your feet correctly. No matter what high end boot you pick, they have to fit to perform out here. I would recommend a mid flex boot...you dont need a sheep country boot
Nothing will end a hunt quicker the F-ed up feet!!

2-Stix

WKR
I have worn Crispi, Lathrop and Sons and Schnees throughout the years. They are all very good boots...including the Briksdal

First, get someone to fit your feet correctly. No matter what high end boot you pick, they have to fit to perform out here. I would recommend a mid flex boot...you dont need a sheep country boot
Yes...first things first...they need to fit, mid flex is good, and you need to be ready for weather.

OP
T

Tyahnke

FNG
That depends on where and when. Some areas in NW Montana usually have at least 3 weeks of pouring rain followed by wet snow at best. The devil is in the details.
Our hunt is the 3rd week of September up in the trout creek area.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
If you are after a conventional boot and if these fit your feet you’d want for nothing:

If you want a minimalist style and if these fit your feet and you’re prepared for them:

OP
T

Tyahnke

FNG

Any recommendations on where a guy could get them fitted?

I was raised in that country. The peak of the rut was usually at about the 21. The weather often was rain to wet snow depending on the elevation but not usually bitter cold. I would lean toward pacs.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I run kenetrek mountain extremes and schnees beartooths, both 0g insulation. Been great for this corner of the state. I prefer full leather and uninsulated during archery. Be prepared for rain / dew. The brush will soak you quick

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have fun know that country very well. If the Crispi Nevadas fit they would be a good choice. They are about as waterproof as a leather boot can be and that country will soak you before you get out of the rig🤣 good luck

First of all you need to try a bunch on to make sure they fit. You don’t want to drop 4 Benjamin’s on boots that don’t fit and wreck your feet.

Hoffman’s are excellent
Crispis are good
Schnee’s are good
Lowas are good but have awful CS
Zamberlan are good but have awful CS

Kenetrek mtn extreme.

I enjoy Crispi for everyday wear but the two pairs I’ve had leaked like a sieve and soles lasted maybe 2 years.
I used to go through a pair of Danner boots every year or two. I bought my Kennetrk Mountain extremes about 15 years ago and just took them in this week for their first rebuild. They are the best hunting product I've ever owned

Check the crispi wyomings if you don’t need insulation. I have those and montanas and I like the wyomings better.