NXS 2.5-10 Reticle MOA or MIL for hunting?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I''ve decided on a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 for a 6.5cm Tikka stainless in my MDT HNT26 chassis. Now I'm just trying to decide on which reticle to get. I've never done any sort of dialing for shooting, as I've primarily bow hunted until now. I'm canadian so I like the fact that MILR is base 10 / metric.

Does anyone have recommendations on what I should choose as new shooter? I'm a totally blank space so I can learn either one at this point. Also, I see the reticle design is slightly different on the MOAR version vs the MILR version. For those who have looked through both, what is your preference for hunting?

1704575546435.png

I like MOA because it’s what I’ve always used and it makes sense to me. Seems like most folks here prefer MIL though.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
if you have no preference you might as well go mil. More reticle choices in mil.
I prefer moa so I’m a fan of the moar reticle.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Pick the reticle you like best. Makes almost no difference in practice as long as long as the dials are accurate and you have practiced at ranges you'll be shooting.

Although all I shoot are NF scopes, I don't think any of their hold-off reticles are particularly good for hunting. Of the two above, I prefer the MOAR reticle as I dislike the gaps in the stadia line of the Mil-R and found it harder to see when light is fading or the background is in heavy shadow. I wish they just made the MOAR in Mil scale. I shoot an old school mildot on my NXS 2.5-10 but they'd be hard to find now. It is a little more visible on busy backgrounds than the Mil-R or MOAR.

Last edited:

CT_MS

FNG
I ordered mine with MOAR because the adjustments are slightly finer. A lot of people choose MIL these days because dialing MIL takes less clicks to get there faster. Also lots say tenths are easier than inches.

Dave_S

FNG
Mils. Forget the translation to linear measurements, they don't matter. I think in inches, but when you just work with what's in front of you, windage math is easier with mils. @Formidilosus has tons of posts breaking down why mils is better. Read them and you'll learn a ton.

Boltgun

FNG
Read this thread pages 4-5. It says it much better than I can. Also ironic that page six concludes with a guy wishing he had bought his NXS 2.5-10 in MIL instead of MOA…

Dave_S

FNG
Read this thread pages 4-5. It says it much better than I can. Also ironic that page six concludes with a guy wishing he had bought his NXS 2.5-10 in MIL instead of MOA…
Excellent info in that post. It's one of the ones i was referring to. I also regret buying an NXS 2.5-10 in MOA :rolleyes:

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Alright seems like MIL is definitely the preference!

But what about the reticles themselves? Assuming you get the crosshairs on the animals, anyone else agree with @Southern Lights that the NF MILR is too crowded?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I think in that the MOAR reticle looks better than the Mil-R version and it’s a bit more visible. I think Mil is a better system than MOA but not in this reticle.
Yes this is my feeling. I prefer mils, but the MOAR reticle just worked better for hunting.

Dave_S

FNG
I have an NX8 2.5-20 with the Mil-CF reticle, which seems like it has more going on than the MilR and I don't find it to a problem. I haven't personally looked through the 2.5-10 MilR, so I can't say if I think it's worse than the MOA version. That being said, I'll likely replace my MOA NF with the equivalent Mil version....at some point. If you can find a shop near you that carries them, go check them out in person.

I was just reading that thread yesterday about the wind brackets. Cut and pasted it into a google doc. Excellent info

Wonder what happened to TK-421. Seemed like he knew his stuff pretty well.

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Yes this is my feeling. I prefer mils, but the MOAR reticle just worked better for hunting.
I think in that the MOAR reticle looks better than the Mil-R version and it’s a bit more visible. I think Mil is a better system than MOA but not in this reticle.
Thanks for the info. Too bad they don't make an moar-style reticle in mil units...seems like it would be a winner

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 agree that MOAR is a better reticle design than MilR. A little upsetting that the design is different on the Mil version, for likely no reason at all.

But the wind MPH capability and base-10 of Mils means I am never buying MOA

I have two NXS 2.5-10x scopes, one is an MOAR and the other is a velocity 600 reticle. I don’t have any issues with them, as far as the reticle design or issues with the magnification. I am generally trying to shoot at a lower magnification anyway.