NXS 2.5-10 Reticle MOA or MIL for hunting?

I wish the mil reticle was the same as the moa reticle on them, I have the moa version and plan on getting a shv 3-10 with the same because I like the illumination on it better than the NXS

Mils seem to be the most logical measurement, but I don’t love the reticle for mils

Everything is always a compromise with scopes it seems

Reactions: Duh

CT_MS

FNG
I wish the mil reticle was the same as the moa reticle on them, I have the moa version and plan on getting a shv 3-10 with the same because I like the illumination on it better than the NXS

Mils seem to be the most logical measurement, but I don’t love the reticle for mils

Everything is always a compromise with scopes it seems
A truer statement has never been said.

Jbuck

FNG
I run the Mil-R version and have zero complaints. It's easier to teach my kids that dialing up 1.6mils is 16 clicks. Versus telling them 1.6moa means just under 6 clicks. I know they could learn either just fine, but for me the mils was easier.

ATL

FNG
I own a NF 2.5-10x42, Mil-R. It is one of my favorite scopes, along with my ATACR 4-16 Mil-R. Get the MIL reticle.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone with the Mil version know the actual reticle thickness as measured in Mils (0.05) etc...

Nightforce lists the specs for some of the other NXS scopes but not the 2.5-10.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
Between the two reticles in the 2.5-10x42, the MOAR is more visible to my eye with the closer outer brackets...I shouldn't say closer, the outer bars have less hollow section than the MIL version. I much prefer MIL for dialing and holds but NF's MOAR is easier to pick up in the 2.5-10. Being SFP, as x's are decreased to "thicken" the inner reticle, the outer bars widen further. Illumination levels are low and don't help much in daylight. The amount of area illuminated is to much for low light. The current reticles in the 2.5-10 are a compromise. For my use, neither are bold enough for thicker, broken backgrounds or woods...but...both work fine in open areas.

The 3-10 SHV MOAR is an improvement in busy backgrounds with only the inner plex illuminated and daylight visibility. It's a bit bright in lowest light at it's lowest setting through.

With it being SFP, I wish NF would put a reticle with Forceplex subtensions and a 2.5 mil dot (outer bar would be the 2.5) reticle at 10x, hashes for .5 mil, dot for mil. Set at 5x it would turn into a full mildot with both hashes and dot's at 1 mil. Illuminate only the inner .5 mil section or better yet, a dot. Of course adjustments in mils. Call it the MIL-Force Hunter.

WKR
Found an older version with mildot reticle in the 2.5-10. I like it quite a bit. Others I have are all Mil-R. Fine scopes for 99% of hunting.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Sent Nightforce a message and replied that the reticle is 0.038 MIL thick.... pretty fine.

If you haven’t learned a system yet, go MIL. I just switched, and I’m a believer. You can calculate wind and elevation holds extremely easily. Look up the “miles per hour” method for wind holds, and there’s lots of good explanations for quickly calculating holdovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright seems like MIL is definitely the preference!

But what about the reticles themselves? Assuming you get the crosshairs on the animals, anyone else agree with @Southern Lights that the NF MILR is too crowded?

It’s not a problem. I was worried about it also, until I used one a bunch. I’ve got the exact scope you’re considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll always say go with MIL, though I do agree the reticle doesn't look as nice. Functionally I imagine it won't be an issue.

Just did this exact thing.
Actually had two moar versions and sold and bought the mill just for the sole fact that most things are headed there.