Odd But Great

So ruling out all the "traditional" gear in your pack, what odd item(s) have you packed that now go with you on every trip?

Buster

WKR
Iphone. Too many convenience features to leave home, even if I don't get service in a lot of places. Flashlight, mirror, still camera, video camera etc. If I'm getting down and drained, I scroll through the photo album for inspiration. Before I go into an area, I look at it on google earth. Even without service, you can still pan around in the area you are hunting.

tttoadman

WKR
I think this thread could actually give us "I never thought of that" ideas. I personally carry absolutely nothing I don't need..?? My pack is way too light, and I am looking for cool stuff to help fill up that empty space.

Iphone. Too many convenience features to leave home, even if I don't get service in a lot of places. Flashlight, mirror, still camera, video camera etc. If I'm getting down and drained, I scroll through the photo album for inspiration. Before I go into an area, I look at it on google earth. Even without service, you can still pan around in the area you are hunting.

Iphone here as well. I never get service (wouldn't even entertain that idea), but I use it for the camera, video, and occas. play games on it when I'm weathered in the tent. I also download topos of the area that I'll be hunting, prior to going, and will study these while on the hunt.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
How do you load topos to the iPhone 4? How do you recharge in the field?

brewer427

WKR
Another vote for IPhone mainly for my hunting gps app.

I have a buddy who packs a couple condoms every time. His excuse is you never know when you'll need one, for one reason or another. Personally I can't think of one reason, when a female isn't present. I know longer hunt with him because I don't want to be in a situation with him where one is needed.

How do you load topos to the iPhone 4? How do you recharge in the field?
I have the PDF maps app. I initially had it on my 4s, now on my 5s. I don't think it's any different on the Iphone 4. I have a extra battery pack (can't rember the name of it right now), that I take into the field with me. It weighs just a few ozs. and will 100% recharge my completely dead phone almost 3 times.

I have a buddy who packs a couple condoms every time. His excuse is you never know when you'll need one, for one reason or another. Personally I can't think of one reason, when a female isn't present. I know longer hunt with him because I don't want to be in a situation with him where one is needed.
Funny stuff, and I don't blame you for finding a different hunting partner.
Years ago I went on a week long bachelor party that was held on a remote river in northern Alaska and one of the guys brought condoms. Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well on that trip and always looked at that guy a little differently from that point on.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
iPhone or cell phone would be far from odd these days... You'd have a hard time finding a hunter without one.

My oddest would be a paperback book to help me sleep... Of course the iPhone w/ kindle app has replaced that.

JP100

WKR
iPhone or cell phone would be far from odd these days... You'd have a hard time finding a hunter without one.

My oddest would be a paperback book to help me sleep... Of course the iPhone w/ kindle app has replaced that.

I dont have an Ipod/Ifone or smart phone of any kind. hate those things.
generally try to avoid carrying anything I dont need.
Sometimes I dress in early 1900s full woolen gear though haha. trying to get a full old school kit. Just need some hobnail boots and Ile be set haha

Last edited:

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member

Lmfao

Hardstalk

WKR
Would a leatherman charge with a 42 bit kit be odd? Its got every thing imaginable for scope work,bow sight fixes, im in the midst of altering it to hold the havalon blade attachment and scratching the can opener.

colonel00

WKR
Would a leatherman charge with a 42 bit kit be odd? Its got every thing imaginable for scope work,bow sight fixes, im in the midst of altering it to hold the havalon blade attachment and scratching the can opener.

Definitely different but if you have needed it once and had it then it has proven its usefulness. I would love to see the Havalon mod when you are done.

Hardstalk

WKR
There is minimal mechanical uses for it on most hunts. But for some reason its always on the top of my gear list. I feel naked without it (dont relay that to the guy who brings condoms)