Odd But Great

Buster

WKR
this is a great idea that I would like to follow up with... what brand are you using? Never even entertained this idea..

I second it. One of those things that most guys wouldn't think about until after they make a mistake. Any brands that stand out?

burgerta

FNG
http://www.northernsafety.com/Produ...evlar-Stretch-Foam-Nitrile-Palm-Coated-Gloves

The first time I handled a Havalon Knife my only thought was that Im gonna need to protect myself! I packed these for my Alaskan Moose hunt and boy did they save the day in the backcountry. When you have a big animal on the ground and its time to roll up your sleeves and work faster than the setting sun in Bear country its hard not to get overly aggressive with the knife. Quartering my moose I felt the blades of both my knife and my partners run over my hand while we struggled with that beast that was 1/2 under water. Thank god my hands were protected and the gloves even offered a really good grip even when wet!

OP
Where's Bruce?
Is that all you got? :)

Aron is a stellar guy...I'd like to see him around for a long time. I am exposed to photos of (often terminal) mouth cancers all the time. Hideous images of grossly deformed faces, patients suffering incredible pain with permanent damage. They are called oral invalids.

I started chewing when I was 15, Cope at 17. By the time I quit at 29(I'll be 54 in April) I was chewing almost 2 cans a day. The gums around my lower front teeth receded so far that they are almost at the bottom of the teeth. Nasty.

TEmbry

WKR
http://www.northernsafety.com/Produ...evlar-Stretch-Foam-Nitrile-Palm-Coated-Gloves

The first time I handled a Havalon Knife my only thought was that Im gonna need to protect myself! I packed these for my Alaskan Moose hunt and boy did they save the day in the backcountry. When you have a big animal on the ground and its time to roll up your sleeves and work faster than the setting sun in Bear country its hard not to get overly aggressive with the knife. Quartering my moose I felt the blades of both my knife and my partners run over my hand while we struggled with that beast that was 1/2 under water. Thank god my hands were protected and the gloves even offered a really good grip even when wet!

Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a pair of these on eBay to see how they perform. I am not admitting what happened while getting stitches if it slices right through when I purposely try to cut my gloved hand as a practice run. LOL

I use a pair of rapala fish filleting gloves when working fish. I don't see why they would not work for your elk hunters.

Thanks for the tip. I just picked up a pair of these on eBay to see how they perform. I am not admitting what happened while getting stitches if it slices right through when I purposely try to cut my gloved hand as a practice run. LOL

I'm going to check out the one's at my local industrial hardware place. BUT, when I test them I think I'll do it without my hand in there :rolleyes:

burgerta

FNG
Guys when you go to your local hardware store, look on the packages, Your looking for a Level 4 cut resistance rating... If it has that rating and fits your hand it will give you pretty darn good protection...they are not puncture resistant! So dont try to stab your hand in the test or you will be :mad:But I have tried to slice pretty hard and the glove beats the knife and that made me :)

Ray

WKR
I am waiting for Stid to post up photos of his meat hook.

Because of those photos over the years, I started packing one on moose and caribou hunts. With a weakened left arm and hand, it comes in handy to hold on to legs and what not when field dressing. My left hand gets really weak about the time I get to the front end of the critter or the underside if gutless dressing, and I can no longer grip the hide to skin it off, the meat hook gets used to hang onto the hide.

TEmbry

WKR
Guys when you go to your local hardware store, look on the packages, Your looking for a Level 4 cut resistance rating... If it has that rating and fits your hand it will give you pretty darn good protection...they are not puncture resistant! So dont try to stab your hand in the test or you will be :mad:But I have tried to slice pretty hard and the glove beats the knife and that made me :)

I got the ansell set that is level 4. Duly noted on the slice not stab method. I suppose I could test without my hand in there, but then where is the fun in that? ha

Shrek

WKR
My butcher uses a little hand hook and never really grabs any meat with his hand. He let me try it and the next time I run across an acquaintance of mine who works on Navy's aircraft rehab facility I'm going to get him to make me one out of some titanium rod if I can talk him into it. It really does work well.

2ski

WKR
As far as the condoms go, I took an "outdoor living" class in high school and one of the survival kit suggestions was non-lubricated condoms as a water purification method. Fill the condoms with water and drop some iodine in there. There were some good looking girls in my small group on our field trip....too bad it wasn't an overnighter. We all had plenty of condoms.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Wouldn't a balloon work? Who wants spermicide in their drinking water? Don't answer...the question is rhetorical.

brewer427

WKR
As far as the condoms go, I took an "outdoor living" class in high school and one of the survival kit suggestions was non-lubricated condoms as a water purification method. Fill the condoms with water and drop some iodine in there. There were some good looking girls in my small group on our field trip....too bad it wasn't an overnighter. We all had plenty of condoms.

I just don't know if I could drink water out of a condom. regardless of what situation I was in, just would fill way to wrong. That being said you could have a assortment of water flavoring depending on what type of condom you carried...if your in to that sort of thing.;)

brewer427

WKR
Wouldn't a balloon work? Who wants spermicide in their drinking water? Don't answer...the question is rhetorical.

I don't know about spermicide, but I have taken a leak in a creek before, turned to look downstream and saw some people filling there water bottles and bladders. That was a smile and wave moment.