Old bows vs new

nowen22

FNG
I would rather have 100% confidence in my setup than a brand new bow just to have a brand new bow. I feel like it takes a solid 1-2 years to get comfortable during a hunting situation with a given bow. If you are going to buy a newer one, buy one that is 1-2 years old and has already lost it's value off the shelf. Technology hasn't improved that much so there is no need to pay excessively for it.

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, they just keep on getting better, but maybe that is just me. I am not that guy that buys a new bow every year, had a Hoyt carbon Matrix Plus for probably 8 years, and loved it, never any problem. Bought a new OK Smoke, and I feel it blows away my loved Hoyt. Is it faster, maybe, have not tested that yet. Is it lighter, no, about the same weight but it is AL. Is it smoother on the draw, oh ya, big time. And super quiet at the release of an arrow, wow, no comparison. So yes, I say they keep making better bows.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. I have a ~2007 ish Browning Illusion that has shot thousands of arrows and killed a pile of critters. I know it well and can always make a decent group. However, it is noisy and not super fast. I shoot 450 grains at about 275fps. There is a pretty loud click at the start of the draw that I can't seem to get rid of, or the guy at the bow shop.

I have been contemplating the newer bows as well, but dang are they expensive. My rest and sight are just as old and I'm sure their have been improvements. Is anybody still using a whisker biscuit?? Not sure what I want to do but in order to be comfortable by September I figure I better get moving!

TSAMP

WKR
Switching from a whisker to a drop away has been the single best contributor to accuracy i have seen yet in my archery experience.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have issues with the drop away while you are hunting? I like to keep an arrow knocked most of the time whether I am walking or waiting. Seems like walking around with an arrow on a drop away would be an issue?

TSAMP

WKR
Do you have issues with the drop away while you are hunting? I like to keep an arrow knocked most of the time whether I am walking or waiting. Seems like walking around with an arrow on a drop away would be an issue?
No, there are plenty of full containment models that keep the arrow in position.

chasewild

WKR
Think of it as a new experience, kind of like a new hunt. Try it, but don't sell the old one, just see what its like. If you don't like it, sell it on here (for a little bit of a haircut) and then try again next year.