Old buffalo, antelope and kudu skulls

AnnaW

FNG
Hello all,

My great-grandfather shot various animals in Sudan about 100 years ago (about 8 antelope and kudu, plus one buffalo). The cleaned skulls were displayed at the family home, but in a dampish room, and with no cleaning or care over the last 100 years. I have now inherited them, and I'm not sure what to do with them to preserve them (some skulls are damaged, some have a few teeth falling out, etc.). I have looked at many online sites but the information is about how to clean fresh skulls, not how to preserve ones that are 100 years old. I'm not too fussed about getting them white - I just want to preserve the skulls (and antlers), and make sure there are no bugs! For example, I did notice a bit of woodworm within the "marrow" (or whatever it's called!) of one of the antlers. Currently, they are just being kept under tarpaulin outside my house, so I'm very grateful for any advice you can give on what I should do to them! Many thanks in advance. I will attach some photos.
IMG_8182 Medium.jpegIMG_8183 Medium.jpegIMG_8184 Medium.jpegIMG_8185 Medium.jpeg
Anna

P.S. You'll see there are also other "challenges" for me in the pics - namely a crocodile skin sword and some shields made of skin!

ODB

WKR
No help from me, but very interesting! Hunting Sudan that long ago would have even then been very special. Do you know who he hunted with? Cottar? Judd? Any other info you mind sharing?

Fitzwho

WKR
Where are you located? Contacting a local taxidermy spot would be a good starting point. I’d love to help you get them cleaned up.

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
I could probably offer a few solutions but am not positive on outcomes. considering the condition they are in, they might not do well with any aggressive chemicals or cleaning techniques. If it were me I would start with a call to a professional taxidermist that deals in euro mounts. Here is the taxidermist I use for all my euro mounts. He’s a wealth of knowledge and might be able to aim you in the right direction:

Thanks a lot! I will look them up. Sounds like a good starting point; I hadn't thought of a taxidermist (complete novice over here!).

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
No help from me, but very interesting! Hunting Sudan that long ago would have even then been very special. Do you know who he hunted with? Cottar? Judd? Any other info you mind sharing?
Thanks for commenting! I'm afraid I don't know much at all about it - I will ask an aunt who will know more. I have a well-known great grandfather hunter called J.A. Hunter (who hunted in Kenya around the same time) - but funnily enough, these were not his, but the other great grandfather called Lionel M B Salmon (who was not known for his hunting). I imagine he went into Sudan via Kenya.

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
Where are you located? Contacting a local taxidermy spot would be a good starting point. I’d love to help you get them cleaned up.
Thanks! I'm on the south coast of England. Pity, as I see you are far away in Texas! But thanks for commenting and offering to help :) I will look into local taxidermists, I think.

ODB

WKR
Thanks for commenting! I'm afraid I don't know much at all about it - I will ask an aunt who will know more. I have a well-known great grandfather hunter called J.A. Hunter (who hunted in Kenya around the same time) - but funnily enough, these were not his, but the other great grandfather called Lionel M B Salmon (who was not known for his hunting). I imagine he went into Sudan via Kenya.

You are related to JA Hunter? So you are niece of Alex and Tara?

I wonder if LMB Salmon is related to "Samaki" Salmon, who was chief game warden in Uganda and got the Prince of Wales lost!.

I would also guess he started his hunt in Kenya - back in the day it was THE starting point because all of the major safari outfitters were based there - Safariland, Newland and Tarleton, White Hunters, etc.

Have you been to Kiboko Lodge in Kenya that JA and Hilda built?

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
You are related to JA Hunter? So you are niece of Alex and Tara?

I wonder if LMB Salmon is related to "Samaki" Salmon, who was chief game warden in Uganda and got the Prince of Wales lost!.

I would also guess he started his hunt in Kenya - back in the day it was THE starting point because all of the major safari outfitters were based there - Safariland, Newland and Tarleton, White Hunters, etc.

Have you been to Kiboko Lodge in Kenya that JA and Hilda built?
JA Hunter, Alex and Tara - correct! Although I've been to Kenya a few times, I haven't been to Hunter's Lodge in Kiboko Springs yet. I hope to get there next year. Have you been?

LMB Salmon was not related to Samaki Salmon (I looked him up - funny story though!). Yes, Kenya was the gateway in those days wasn't it. I'm happy that Tara and Alex both continue in the safari tradition...

Reactions: ODB

Weldor

WKR
I've brought back old whitetail skulls by soaking in a pan with water and peroxide. Left them out in the sun while soaking for a couple of days. I Iet them dry in the sun, checked for cracks ,teeth. I sealed them with clear plastic spray, they seem to be holding up.

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
I've brought back old whitetail skulls by soaking in a pan with water and peroxide. Left them out in the sun while soaking for a couple of days. I Iet them dry in the sun, checked for cracks ,teeth. I sealed them with clear plastic spray, they seem to be holding up.
Thanks for replying - I'm getting lots of good ideas on this forum, so I appreciate everyone's time! One question for you - did you seal the antlers so they didn't get peroxide on? I don't want to change the colour of the antlers if I can help it.

ODB

WKR
JA Hunter, Alex and Tara - correct! Although I've been to Kenya a few times, I haven't been to Hunter's Lodge in Kiboko Springs yet. I hope to get there next year. Have you been?

LMB Salmon was not related to Samaki Salmon (I looked him up - funny story though!). Yes, Kenya was the gateway in those days wasn't it. I'm happy that Tara and Alex both continue in the safari tradition...

VERY cool. I haven’t been to Kiboko. My trip in 2019 went counterclockwise around Mt Kenya mostly staying in the north since it was during the long rains.. Did spend time at ol Pejeta but didn’t know Alex lived there at the time. Next time out I will spend more time south toward Tsavo.

I think I’d have a good time on safari with Alex. Sadly the fellow I went with in 2019 (Martin Seth-Smith) passed away last year.

Yes, am glad they are carrying on the tradition as well - it is a rich and fascinating history.

Sorry for the detour from your initial post, but great to see you check in! Safari njema!

There might be a few in Safari Club International in your area that can point you in the right direction. Or some of the Wesley Richards Safari guys in London.
The skin shields are very cool and some of those wealthy collectors might point you to restoration services or buyers, collectors, museums interested in the history and collection you have.

Weldor

WKR
Thanks for replying - I'm getting lots of good ideas on this forum, so I appreciate everyone's time! One question for you - did you seal the antlers so they didn't get peroxide on? I don't want to change the colour of the antlers if I can help it.
Wrapped them with tape and plastic. Also used wire to hold the skulls so they won't sink in pan to antler height, held them just below the line.

OP
A

AnnaW

FNG
VERY cool. I haven’t been to Kiboko. My trip in 2019 went counterclockwise around Mt Kenya mostly staying in the north since it was during the long rains.. Did spend time at ol Pejeta but didn’t know Alex lived there at the time. Next time out I will spend more time south toward Tsavo.

I think I’d have a good time on safari with Alex. Sadly the fellow I went with in 2019 (Martin Seth-Smith) passed away last year.

Yes, am glad they are carrying on the tradition as well - it is a rich and fascinating history.

Sorry for the detour from your initial post, but great to see you check in! Safari njema!
Nice to hear about your trip to Kenya. I hope you manage to go there again soon, and to meet up with Alex. Sorry to hear about your friend who passed away.

Thanks for the detour chat!