one machine and one machine only?

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really limited on space and would like to get a piece of exercise equipment that I could use when the weathers foul outside or its dark (tired of walking-hiking at night). It needs to be real knee friendly, thinking of some sort of climber machine maybe. What would you get/recommend.

Richard

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
For cardio only....jacob's ladder. For the ability to perform strength training and cardio a full set of kettlebells (For the beginner, 25 pounds through 50 pounds). Hands down, these would be my first picks and there's not a close second.

x2 for Kettlebells as a space saver and butt kicker.

If it has to be a machine, get a Concept 2 rower. Great work out, and it doesn't take up much space in storage.

I agree with the rower, especially with your knee issues that it sounds like you may have...It will be my next addition to my home gym.

I also would have a hard time without my treadmill. I know a lot of guys frown upon running in general, and for your bad knees it may not be a great idea. But for me, the treadmill certainly doesn't provide the pounding on your knees and back that running/walking outside generates, and it is very versatile. You can do weighted rucks on it, walk inclines and declines, of course you can run for distance, or crank it up and down for intervals.

Jacob's Ladder cost over $4K. Though, I have never used one, it looks effective, especially if you are training for a hunt in the mountains. Still, I could buy a lot of other exercise equipment for $4K.

A buddy and I use the hell out of his versa climber. It's a vertical machine that takes up very little space but can send you through six levels of hell in a hurry. We come up with all sorts of different workouts with it that include everything from running to kettle bells. They aren't cheap, but well worth the money. The best part is the fact that no matter how big your steps are you can still get a decent workout in and not destroy knees.

shaneo11

FNG
I have to agree with a Concept 2 rower. You can find a good used one on Craigslist. Rower is probably one of the best cardio machines to get your heart rate elevated quickly or to just get you breathing heavily.

elkguide

WKR
An elliptical is another good option that isn't hard on the knees and will get your heart pumping. I have an elliptical and a Concept2 rower. Both are great and as has been said, both can make you sweat quickly!