One pair of boots - what do you choose?

Assume you are on a budget and can only have one pair of boots that you will use for hunting in blinds/stands in Georgi and stalk hunts in Wyoming. What boots would you choose? Do Schnee’s Hunter II work?

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I have used La Crosse Alpha Burlys for 10yrs and tried on Mucks and several more and bought a new pair of Alphas. They fit great and are the most comfortable boots I have ever put on.

Mosby

WKR
I really like my Muck boots but I would never take them hunting out west. I recently bought a pair of Schnee's Elk Hunter II and they are a really nice and versatile boot. I used them this year in Colorado every day in the snow and muck and they were great but I wouldn't wear them in warm or hot weather. If I could only have one pair, I would go with Lowa's(or similar) w/200 gram of thinsulate. I wear mine from September into December for elk and deer.

LaHunter

WKR
Assume you are on a budget and can only have one pair of boots that you will use for hunting in blinds/stands in Georgi and stalk hunts in Wyoming. What boots would you choose? Do Schnee’s Hunter II work?
Those two applications are completely opposite of one another. I'm doubtful one pair of boots would be ideal for both conditions. Don't try to take short cuts with footwear for hunting in the mountains. A bad boot choice will take you 'out of the game' quickly when hunting mountain terrain. Many experience western hunters will tell you that your boots are your #1 gear priority.
I wear Lowa Ticam II & Lowa Tibets with Smartwool light wt or mid wt merino wool socks while hunting out west. Both are uninsulated and I have worn both in knee deep snow with temps in the single digits and my feet/toes don't get cold because I am usually moving. If I stop and glass for extended periods, my toes will begin to get a little cold, however.
When whitetail hunting around home, I will wear insulated boots when the temps are in the 30s or lower.

Kotaman

WKR
I have used La Crosse Alpha Burlys for 10yrs and tried on Mucks and several more and bought a new pair of Alphas. They fit great and are the most comfortable boots I have ever put on.

So I get this right...You are recommending a pair of Lacrosse Alphas for an all purpose boot which includes a spot and stalk hunt in Wyoming? Whoa....

The best "all around" boot I own are either my Crispi Colorados or my Crispi Nevadas. One is leather, one is synthetic. I can use these in the stand, in the mountains or on the prairie. With that said, I typically wear rubber boots to the treestand and a more stoudt mountain boot in the tough stuff (Lowa Bighorns). I have a boot for every occasion but the Colorados and Nevadas are about as "general use" as it gets.

EastMT

WKR
I would go try on as many high end boots as you can find. Walk around the store a lot, find the one that fits you the best, insulated as you need or don’t need. Write down the size, and watch RS, EBay, Craigslist. I was able to find $500 boots, hiked in one hunt for $250 this way after they didn’t fit someone toe box right.

Decide if you want a sole stiff as a board (I do) or a bit flexible. If you hunt steep terrain I like stiff, flat sage brushy land I like flexible. Since I only wanted to buy one pair, I got the super stiff boots as my ankles are terrible, and shorten my stride on flat ground and it saves some wear and tear on my feet.

All the brands are great boots, but if your feet are wider in one place, narrow in another they could be the worst purchase and waste of money even though they are high quality.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

Spend the money on a good pair of mountain boots for out west. Then go to tracker supply or similar store and buy a cheap pair of rubber boots for $20 to use for your whitetail stand hunts. If you need insulation buy them big and get felt liners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
My wife would love it if I had only one pair of boots instead of 10! With more coming! With that being said for hunting I’d go with a set of Kenetrek Mountain Guides. If I’m sitting it doesn’t matter how stiff they are, paired with gaiters they can keep your feet dry for a really long time and most importantly they give me enough support to deal with whatever hills, mountains, muskegs or tussocks try to throw my way regardless of the weight.

That being said I have an insulated pair of mountain guides and insulated Muck boots on my to buy list that will join the Kenetreks I have and the extratuffs I wear when I know it’s going to be a long, wet and miserable hunt.

jordan714

FNG
Another option would be to direct your focus on a boot to hunt out west and then, if necessary, purchase some boot blankets to provide extra insulation for sitting in the stand.