Only one rifle.

16Bore

WKR
Do you handload? If not, go with what has the broadest range of factory fodder. If you do, whatever floats your boat.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Like most are saying, the .30-06 is definitely the most versite gun made and will kill everything on your list, but may be a bit smaller than I'd use for Grizzley.

I'd probably go with the .338WinMag for the best gun in your circumstances. But, it does lack a wallop when shooting so I would suggest a muzzle break for any magnum you choose to practice with. I just wouldn't hunt with it since your ears may fall out without protection. I LOVE my Weatherby with Accubrake and it removes easy for hunting.

TylerW

FNG
30-06 is the boring answer but for good reason it just works. Of the ones listed I'd go with 7mm(rem, wby, stw, whatever) now with that being said I have never used a 7mm but I know its track record and with the game you listed I think it would work fine. If it were me I'd get a M70 EW 7mm rem mag put a Swarovski z3 3-10x42 on it with tally light weight rings and load it with 160 gr. nosler, barnes, or swift bullets and go hunting but that's just me.

OP

WKR
I checked out some Tikka rifles this weekend and wasn't blown away by them "in hand". The bolt had some looseness to it and overall the rifle just didn't feel as solid as I expected. I think I need to shoot some different rifles and see how "recoil sensitive" I am. Don't know if it makes a difference but recoil doesn't bother me much with handguns. More research is necessary...

The clerk at Sportsman's Warehouse recommended 45-70, and another guy in the store who claimed to be a long range elk hunter recommended the 7mm magnum.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've learned more about rifles in the last 10 days than in my previous 37 years.

WRO

WKR
I checked out some Tikka rifles this weekend and wasn't blown away by them "in hand". The bolt had some looseness to it and overall the rifle just didn't feel as solid as I expected. I think I need to shoot some different rifles and see how "recoil sensitive" I am. Don't know if it makes a difference but recoil doesn't bother me much with handguns. More research is necessary...

The clerk at Sportsman's Warehouse recommended 45-70, and another guy in the store who claimed to be a long range elk hunter recommended the 7mm magnum.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've learned more about rifles in the last 10 days than in my previous 37 years.
Just as an fyi, just because someone works at a sporting goods counter doesn't mean they know their ass from their elbow from a hole in the ground.

Most times they don't. .

I don't have a comment for the thread question but tikkas stocks are not great, their actions a silky and they are the best shooting rifle on the dollar. You could dump a lot of money into a rifle and not come out much ahead of a stock tikka. A guy I work with learned that the hard way.

GKPrice

Banned
WRO NAILED IT as far as "sales clerks" go .... rifle stocks are like IPA's, if you like them you love 'em and if you don't then move on to the next ....... for a factory handle that fits the overall cost of the rifle Tikka T3 stocks have to be considered well done - there are better (maybe) but you'd best have your $650 in hand and ready
Tikka T3 superlights come in 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, '06, 308, 243 and maybe a few other chamberings - for the $699 you'll not find any better a "buy" for a hunting rifle - THAT said, all mentioned previously will have appeal to some folks .... (a limbsaver recoil pad will cure most all "recoil sensitive" problems)

OP

WKR
Maybe this was just a bad one. The bolt felt a bit lose and almost wobbly. Perhaps I should not judge Tikka by a single experience. I was pretty sold on Tikka from what I'd read around here.

Maybe this was just a bad one. The bolt felt a bit lose and almost wobbly. Perhaps I should not judge Tikka by a single experience. I was pretty sold on Tikka from what I'd read around here.

That wobbly feel in the bolt isn't going to affect how it shoots. I've yet to see a Tikka that didn't shoot very well. One of the best guns I've ever bought.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I too am mostly a bowhunter. I am also looking for one rifle for the same reasons. I have decided to go with the 300 win mag as well. I have my choice narrowed down to two guns. Both Savage. The Bear Hunter and the LRH. I like them both and there is advantages to both. Both seem to be very accurate as well. Still waiting on tax return to order one up.

AZ Vince

WKR
Just as an fyi, just because someone works at a sporting goods counter doesn't mean they know their ass from their elbow from a hole in the ground.

Most times they don't. .
Well said and oh so true.

AXEL

WKR
Yeppers, I have experienced this and also know some VERY knowledgable gunstore staffers. I managed a gunshop for a time and found a LOT of "customers" who were woefully ignorant, but, talked as though they KNEW IT ALL........

I guess that there are some of each kind on both sides of gunshop counters.

husky390

WKR
Of the three, 300wm is what I'd choose. However, I'd recommend the 30-06 for the same reasons others have stated. Axel is definitely right about the recoil of the .338wm. Some guy's aren't bothered by it and I didn't care for it after shooting my friends rifle so I bought a .375H&H instead which I love to shoot but hate to carry.

jb79

WKR
Did almost the same post a year ago after all the comments and the post getting locked I decided on the rem LR in 300 win and then they recalled them and I could get one.... Long story short went with the tikka in 7 mm and have no regrets

AZ Vince

WKR
Yeppers, I have experienced this and also know some VERY knowledgable gunstore staffers. I managed a gunshop for a time and found a LOT of "customers" who were woefully ignorant, but, talked as though they KNEW IT ALL........

I guess that there are some of each kind on both sides of gunshop counters.
True.
Like you I've run in to both. It just seems the customers that know it all are more prevalent from my perspective.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm focused on bowhunting but would like to have a properly set up rifle for when the bow doesn't produce. I'll only have one rifle for pronghorn, deer, elk, and ???

I live in west central Wyoming. Hunt in the mountains and am frequently in areas with grizzly bears so there's a certain self defense component to this firearm as well as the hunting.

7mm
300 wm
338 wm

Which would you prefer and why that choice over the others?

Thanks in advance. Total rifle gumby, I currently have a couple of .22's as my only shoulder fired weapons. There are way too many choices in rifles, it's a bit overwhelming to decipher all of the info.

If I was personally in your shoes, I would get a Tikka T3 lite in 300 wm. I would put a 4.5-14x50 VX3 with moa turrets on it with a rail and Nightforce titanium rings. I would also have the APA Micro Bastard muzzle brake installed. This setup would work well for all North American game animals in a very wide range of conditions.

The same setup in 7mm mag would be my second choice for your situation.

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on the store clerks,
Years ago I witnessed a clerk at Walmart pushing pointed 150 bullets for a father & son's 30-30 leveraction. This was before the "lever-evalutaion" ammo came out. The sale went on without comment from me, as lighter recoil was the selling point. Later I aproached the Dad and told him of the danger of shooting pointed rounds (point to primmer) in a tubular magazine. Recomended that he get some quality advice if if he would not except my warning. I think those loads were designed for a TC Contender single shot that was all the rage at the time. You would think the ammo maker would have printed a warning on the box too. Let me say that they have some sharp guys that work the counter of our local gun shops and this was not directed at them.

LaGriz

AXEL

WKR
I am not too keen on big, high power variable scopes, PF rifles and those difficult to load quickly from the top where one is concerned with possible danger of bears, especially Grizzlies.

I also feel that if one is a bow hunter and only uses a rifle as a last resort for hunting and defence, then he is much better served with a CRF five shot piece of Mauser design and a small scope such as the Leupy 4x or my fav, the VX3 1.75x6 HD.

But, I am not familiar with the OPs skill levels, personality traits when confronted and area he hunts, so, this is only from my experience with Grizzlies here in BC. YMMV, JMHO.