Only one rifle.

OP

WKR
My uncle lent me a Remington 700, 300 WSM a while ago. Finally got to the range yesterday to give it a test. That thing beat the hell out of me. I'm still needing to learn how to hold properly and the techniques of shooting big caliber rifles but that was quite a thump. Was shooting 180 grain Winchester ammo. Of note, there is no recoil pad on the rifle, just a hard rubber end to the stock (not sure of terminology) and I'm wondering if that would make a big difference in felt recoil?

On the bright side, I did ring steel out to 800 meters (it's a big plate, 4'x4'). It was both more fun and more painful than I anticipated.

Last edited:
There is no good reason to shoot a 300 without a recoil pad. Those rubber butt pads don't do much other than cover up the bare wood. Get a good Pachymar or Simms pad on there and you'll appreciate the difference.

husky390

WKR
I agree with Jason. My Uncle had a 300 Weatherby that had the original 25 year old recoil pad that was as hard as a rock. It was brutal. +1 on the Limbsaver pads.

OP

WKR
Good to know. I thought maybe I was just a recoil sensitive person, having thoroughly failed a test of manhood, but maybe I'll reserve judgement until I have proper equipment.

BigDog00

WKR
Definitely get a pad! I have a Rem 700 in .300 WSM as well and honestly I can shoot that thing all day long. I also have a Rem 700 in .30-06...I can only manage a around 10 shots before I'm too beat up (it has a good pachymar pad too). I love my .300 WSM...I will say that I swapped the tupperware stock that came with it for a B&C Alaskan.

Shrek

WKR
A good pad will help a bunch but a 300 wsm pushing a 180gr bullet out of a sporter weight rifle is at the limit or beyond of what most people can shoot well without a brake. Sure there a those guys who can sit down behind a nine pound all up 300 rum pushing 230's without a brake but that's not most people. I'm 6'4" and 256lbs tonight and a big 30 cal will beat a flinch in me in just a couple of shots if I haven't been shooting a lot.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Recoil pads are wonderful things, however in my mind, the most wonderful thing is a rifle that fits you. Length of pull, a bit of cast, pistol grip or straight, palm swell or not, these things all make a huge difference in how well you are going to shoot. Recoil, to my way of thinking, is dependent on bullet weight and speed, vs rifle weight and fit. Thus, heavier guns have the advantage. Any shotgunner or trap shooter will tell you that the number one thing is gun fit. These are guys that shoot hundreds of rounds in an afternoon. Granted, they are only target loads, but they do add up. So my advice is to get whatever rifle, in whatever chambering suits you, as long as whatever rifle you get fits. If it fits, you can shoot it well, and if you can do that, even if you end up with a 7-08, you are miles ahead of some guy with a 338 lapua that can't shoot worth shit and flinches all the time.

GKPrice

Banned
My uncle lent me a Remington 700, 300 WSM a while ago. Finally got to the range yesterday to give it a test. That thing beat the hell out of me. I'm still needing to learn how to hold properly and the techniques of shooting big caliber rifles but that was quite a thump. Was shooting 180 grain Winchester ammo. Of note, there is no recoil pad on the rifle, just a hard rubber end to the stock (not sure of terminology) and I'm wondering if that would make a big difference in felt recoil?

On the bright side, I did ring steel out to 800 meters (it's a big plate, 4'x4'). It was both more fun and more painful than I anticipated.[/QUOTE

The Sims is known commonly as the "Limbsaver", the name is deserved - there should be a "bolt on" model for a Rem 700 ($35.99 -39.99 sometimes a bit less)

Firehawk

WKR
These questions are always fun to discuss. In reality, we rarely need anything more than a .308 or .30-06. That said, what is the fun in that? I love my 7-08 rifles, my 7mm rem mag is a fine elk killer and my favorite rifle is my Kimber Montana in 325 WSM. I sure am glad I don't have to limit myself to just one. 😀