OnxMaps Imagery

I agree with the above that ONX is not good resolution but I find I don't use it anyway, I run almost all topo setting and scout the area I am hunting so I already know what im looking at, I just want good solid offline maps and elevation with trails and private ground. I also use the map tools for measureing and my all time favorite deal is the share feature. I turned like 6 buddies on to ONX and we share data so easily. ONX must have done a great marketing deal cuz I never heard of the other options in my circles. Never heard of basemap until Snyder mentioned it two years after we had ONX and of course GoHUNT is new sooooo.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Call me simple - but even though I pay for Gaia, OnX keeps pulling me back for some reason. I keep thinking of switching over but I can't decide.

I don't know if it's the marketing, color scheme, simplicity of the UI, or the multitude of waypoint icons to choose from, but something about OnX tickles my pickle.

Yet Gaia has a lot more features and abilities.

Sigh.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Only one issue with ONX and its a big one, the renew set up is completely dumb. They want you to wait until it runs out and expires before you can renew current membership. Well I bought mine around Elk season so last year I was going to be in Elk camp and no access to computer so I called and You couldn't at the time renew ahead of time so I told them they just lost a customer cuz that's like paying your bills after they are overdue???? dumb They ended up just giving me the next year free but this year I will be in the same boat if they didn't fix it. I sent in complaint and suggestion on it so we will see. Makes no sense to me

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Only one issue with ONX and its a big one, the renew set up is completely dumb. They want you to wait until it runs out and expires before you can renew current membership. Well I bought mine around Elk season so last year I was going to be in Elk camp and no access to computer so I called and You couldn't at the time renew ahead of time so I told them they just lost a customer cuz that's like paying your bills after they are overdue???? dumb They ended up just giving me the next year free but this year I will be in the same boat if they didn't fix it. I sent in complaint and suggestion on it so we will see. Makes no sense to me
That's really weird they don't have an auto-renew or something. I'm sure they'll add it. At least they tried to make it right and gave you a year free. I'd call it square.

BaseMap

Gotcha, thank you. I'm currently using Gaia, $40/yearly and running Google earth map imported. What's your elevator pitch vs that setup?

Google Imagery. 3D mapping on iOS. Over 800 layers. Large high res-imagery for offline mapping. $30/year for all 50 states

muddydogs

WKR
Call me simple - but even though I pay for Gaia, OnX keeps pulling me back for some reason. I keep thinking of switching over but I can't decide.

I don't know if it's the marketing, color scheme, simplicity of the UI, or the multitude of waypoint icons to choose from, but something about OnX tickles my pickle.

Yet Gaia has a lot more features and abilities.

Sigh.

I think the opposite of you. I was all into Gaia mainly for the price over Onx but after the 4 time in 4 hunts I had problems viewing maps and waypoints while out hunting I switched to Onx. I switched to Onx while on a hunt in AZ setting on the side of a mountain with minimal coverage and just from what I got with the initial download I could tell Onx was better. A couple days later we made a town run and while grabbing lunch I hooked into WIFI and downloaded a bunch of Onx maps for my area and at that time I realized Gaia was very subpar compared to Onx.
I have found that Onx has everything that Gaia has for mapping but Onx is much easier to use and down load maps for.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Onx has everything that Gaia has for mapping

Not true. Here are some things Gaia has that OnX does not:

-Vector street view
-Slope-angle shading (super useful)
-Ability to integrate Google Earth
-Can send a waypoint to Google Maps for navigation
-Shows more marked parking and pull offs (for me)
-Can organize waypoints/content into folders
-Fishing topo maps
-When creating lines on the map you can have them snap to the trails/roads. It will also show you the elevation for said lines.

That being said, I chose to use OnX for hunting (I only hunt in one state) and I use the free version of Gaia for hiking, mountain biking, basically any other excursion or POI that isn't hunting.

muddydogs

WKR
Not true. Here are some things Gaia has that OnX does not:

-Vector street view
-Slope-angle shading (super useful)
-Ability to integrate Google Earth
-Can send a waypoint to Google Maps for navigation
-Shows more marked parking and pull offs (for me)
-Can organize waypoints/content into folders
-Fishing topo maps
-When creating lines on the map you can have them snap to the trails/roads. It will also show you the elevation for said lines.

That being said, I chose to use OnX for hunting (I only hunt in one state) and I use the free version of Gaia for hiking, mountain biking, basically any other excursion or POI that isn't hunting.

Guess most of that is meaningless to me. I use google maps for road navigation and Onx for hunting, if I need a marker on Google maps I just add one. I don't use Google Earth much as the photo's in Onx work just fine. As for slope angle, pull offs and parking areas I get all that from the photo and topo lines. I don't even care about marked parking areas or pull off's, never even crossed my mind, all I need is a spot big enough to get the pickup off the road so it won't impend traffic and i'm good to go.

I do realize that I have been navigating with topo maps and photos for 30 years so some of this just comes natural to me, I can look at a photo and get an idea of how steep it is even without topo lines, Heck I started using photo's when they were 1 to 60,000 black and white or inferred. I get why some people find some of this stuff useful as they haven't spent a better part of a life time navigating to an exact spot / pin prick on a photo.

I do miss the folder options in Gaia, they kept stuff organized.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I do miss the folder options in Gaia, they kept stuff organized.

I agree! Now that I'm using OnX for hunting I love it. It works better for me. The folder thing would be a huge feature though if they could add it without making the UI too clunky.