Opening day vs 3rd weekend of season

I drew Montana this year, my original plan, pretty much from the moment I drew has been that with limited time I would drive to my unit(roughly 5 hr drive) Friday before opener with the intent of scouring the unit that afternoon/evening in hopes of camping on the best buck I can find in order to be on him for opening morning. The hitch in this plan is we are planning a birthday party for my son on Sunday so it is a 1 day hunt. This plan suddenly doesn’t work for my wife because of the Friday portion and I’m thinking about waiting for the 3rd weekend. Am I doing myself a disservice trying to hunt a weekend after general deer and elk open? Or would I maybe be better off with 2 full days of hunting? Any thoughts or ideas welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
You gotta do what you gotta do. Be a little more involved in party planning vs hunting season next time.

So many hunters w kids during season and weddings and kids weddings, etc. life does get in the way.

If yer only gonna give 2 days, do the opening day thing. Gotta sleep in the bed you made.., hoping you realize the parties will be around this time every year when you plan future hunts.

Im flying out saturday, back the following saturday then gottabdo a dinner thing on sunday. Pfff. Not my idea. I was gonna go scouting local.

OP
Andrew12gauge
You gotta do what you gotta do. Be a little more involved in party planning vs hunting season next time.

So many hunters w kids during season and weddings and kids weddings, etc. life does get in the way.

If yer only gonna give 2 days, do the opening day thing. Gotta sleep in the bed you made.., hoping you realize the parties will be around this time every year when you plan future hunts.

Im flying out saturday, back the following saturday then gottabdo a dinner thing on sunday. Pfff. Not my idea. I was gonna go scouting local.

My mom usually doesn’t do a birthday celebration but decided she wanted to this year, I know when my sons birthday is and I look forward to next year when it means he is old enough to hunt big game himself. The biggest issue is the teacher inservice day I didn’t know about on Friday, that is the part my wife is taking issue with. Apparently calling a babysitter is just a bridge too far. Oh well, turns out work got real busy this week and I am just gonna wait and go in 2 weeks. Antelope aren’t hard to kill I’m sure I can get it done in 2 days

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck! I just got back from Wyoming antelope hunt. We tagged out in 1-1/2 day’s a week after the opener.

Rich M

WKR
My mom usually doesn’t do a birthday celebration but decided she wanted to this year, I know when my sons birthday is and I look forward to next year when it means he is old enough to hunt big game himself. The biggest issue is the teacher inservice day I didn’t know about on Friday, that is the part my wife is taking issue with. Apparently calling a babysitter is just a bridge too far. Oh well, turns out work got real busy this week and I am just gonna wait and go in 2 weeks. Antelope aren’t hard to kill I’m sure I can get it done in 2 days

You've got a great attitude.

Reading my post it sounds so negative, didn't mean it to sound so negative.

We rarely celebrate the occasion on the day it's for.

But that's just us. A former career dictated that, so it's just part of life now.

P dog

FNG
I plan on heading to MT for antelope the third weekend to. I know there will be the deer and elk hunters out and about but i think that will add to the hunt?.. just got back on Tuesday from WY doing a combo antelope/elk hunt and it turned out great. Bagged one of each.

OP
Andrew12gauge
Well, as an update, I spent the weekend in the unit I had my tag for, considering most of the unit is public I assumed I was going to be able to find a buck on someplace I could hunt. I was wrong, I saw 6 does immediately upon entering my unit, didn’t want to shoot a doe, so let them walk. Never saw another antelope on public, saw about 400 on private and they definitely flirted with the property lines but just refused to cross. I definitely think the number of elk hunters had them pushed onto those private refuges as there were almost no antelope hunters that I talked to.