opinion for hunting tacoma or 4runner (already have a big truck)

Nice thread and lots of love for the Toyota's here. We have two Toyotas. We have a 2008 4x4 4Runner with the V6 and I have a 1991 3.0 V6 Toyota extra Cab Deluxe 4x4 with a 6' bed.
These two vehicles have been the most dependable vehicles we've ever owned. One nice thing about Toyota vehicles is I'm not on a first name basis with the service advisor at the dealership like I was at Ford.

I've had the pickup all over the western US both hunting and fishing. One nice thing is the truck fits between brush on most trails I've ever been on. It climbs like a goat and it goes where others wont take their larger trucks.

I paid less than 15K for my truck back in 1991 now the Tacoma is 37,000.00 and more if you want the TRD Pro

I bought my Toyota after having owned the 3 worst vehicles I ever owned (3 Ford F150's back to back) All my Fords spent too much time in the shop and it was a real pain dealing with Ford's it's normal or we can't duplicate the issue B.S. Deny,deny, deny. That's the Ford way.

In 1996 Toyota contacted me with the V6 campaign on my truck. Exhaust leaks etched the head and block and the entire engine needed to be rebuilt.
My truck had 89,000 miles on it at the time. They rebuilt the engine for free and I added a new Clutch, Timing chain and all main bearings to the job for $600.00 I have 237,000 on it now.

I just don't think Toyota builds them like they used to. Both our Toyotas were built in Japan. If I were to buy another small truck it would definitely be a Tacoma but for a few thousand more you can get a truck with allot more power, room, carrying and towing capacity, a 6.5' bed and it gets the same gas mileage.

Yup I'm talking about a F150. I can't believe it but I'm actually leaning towards one soon unless Toyota fixes the Blundra with the new release coming soon.

The 91 has more comfortable seats that the 2008 4Runner which is funny.

Nice thread and lots of love for the Toyota's here. We have two Toyotas. We have a 2008 4x4 4Runner with the V6 and I have a 1991 3.0 V6 Toyota extra Cab Deluxe 4x4 with a 6' bed.
These two vehicles have been the most dependable vehicles we've ever owned. One nice thing about Toyota vehicles is I'm not on a first name basis with the service advisor at the dealership like I was at Ford.

I've had the pickup all over the western US both hunting and fishing. One nice thing is the truck fits between brush on most trails I've ever been on. It climbs like a goat and it goes where others wont take their larger trucks.

I paid less than 15K for my truck back in 1991 now the Tacoma is 37,000.00 and more if you want the TRD Pro

I bought my Toyota after having owned the 3 worst vehicles I ever owned (3 Ford F150's back to back) All my Fords spent too much time in the shop and it was a real pain dealing with Ford's it's normal or we can't duplicate the issue B.S. Deny,deny, deny. That's the Ford way.

In 1996 Toyota contacted me with the V6 campaign on my truck. Exhaust leaks etched the head and block and the entire engine needed to be rebuilt.
My truck had 89,000 miles on it at the time. They rebuilt the engine for free and I added a new Clutch, Timing chain and all main bearings to the job for $600.00 I have 237,000 on it now.

I just don't think Toyota builds them like they used to. Both our Toyotas were built in Japan. If I were to buy another small truck it would definitely be a Tacoma but for a few thousand more you can get a truck with allot more power, room, carrying and towing capacity, a 6.5' bed and it gets the same gas mileage.

Yup I'm talking about a F150. I can't believe it but I'm actually leaning towards one soon unless Toyota fixes the Blundra with the new release coming soon.

Just curious, if you had so many problems with 3 different f150’s, why would you consider another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is wrong with the current blundra?

In 1996 Toyota contacted me with the V6 campaign on my truck. Exhaust leaks etched the head and block and the entire engine needed to be rebuilt. My truck had 89,000 miles on it at the time. They rebuilt the engine for free and I added a new Clutch, Timing chain and all main bearings to the job for $600.00 I have 237,000 on it now.

What was the "V6 campaign" you speak of. My 1989 xtracab V6 SR5 has over 250k miles and I've never heard of this. Oh, and the V6's don't have a timing chain, they use a belt.......that's supposed to be replaced every 60k miles.

My wife drives a 2018 4Runner. I borrow it when I’m going to need something more capable off-road. It has the factory rear locker and this vehicle has seriously impressed me in box stock form. 3 wheeling through steep washes, plowing through snow drifts, towing Dad’s Duramax up a snow covered road, all with the stock tires. I can comfortably sleep in the back and I’m 6’3”. It’s an awesome solo hunting vehicle, and awesome for 2 people if you have a tent.

There was a recall called the the V6 service Campaign where Toyota replaced blown head gaskets and any other damage it may have caused. My vehicle was affected and they made the repairs. I was wrong on the timing chain it is indeed a belt and I've had several news ones over the years.

Here's a quick link below

What was the "V6 campaign" you speak of. My 1989 xtracab V6 SR5 has over 250k miles and I've never heard of this. Oh, and the V6's don't have a timing chain, they use a belt.......that's supposed to be replaced every 60k miles.

well, as the original poster, i will report i bought a used 2016 4runner trail model with 25k miles. it has so many cool features i am overwhelmed. i think it even has a flux capacitor, which is nice to use if i miss a shot, i can just go back and re do it. i don't understand why it doesn't have a decent 9 speed auto tranny and a turbo, which are 2 things it has obviously needed for about 15 years ( ATTENTION TOYOTA!!)

looking forward to doing a little scouting this next week with it. see if i can get stuck and unstuck.

V6 first gens have a belt, my 06 V6 has a chain

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hunt in my 2007 4runner, works really great when it is solo doing overnighters or quick weekend trips. It's really too small to sleep comfortably in the back for me 6'4" and have had issues getting stuck in the mud when I go to Kansas /Nebraska (probably more the tires than SUV) but never had that issue with my Truck. Think I will go tundra double cab when the 4 runner goes

Hunt in my 2007 4runner, works really great when it is solo doing overnighters or quick weekend trips. It's really too small to sleep comfortably in the back for me 6'4" and have had issues getting stuck in the mud when I go to Kansas /Nebraska (probably more the tires than SUV) but never had that issue with my Truck. Think I will go tundra double cab when the 4 runner goes
What tires are you running on that 4Runner? That definitely sounds like more of a tire issue, as those things will go anywhere with the proper shoes on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I need some input.

Gen 3 or Gen 4 4Runner?

1999/124k and 2005/140k. Both SR5. The 99 is cheaper and has less miles but is six years older. Both one owner vehicles.

Torn. I just want a reliable vehicle. The 99 has a little damage while the 05 is cherry. Both vehicles will easily do another 100k. Anyone have thoughts?

I’d do the 05 just bc you’re electric motors are 6 years newer. 5 window motors adds up quick. Starter...alternator. Both seem more affected by age then mileage.

That's my thought in general as well. Six years less wear on everything. Probably just as reliable. Sure like keeping money in my pocket though. 😀

So I need some input.

Gen 3 or Gen 4 4Runner?

1999/124k and 2005/140k. Both SR5. The 99 is cheaper and has less miles but is six years older. Both one owner vehicles.

Torn. I just want a reliable vehicle. The 99 has a little damage while the 05 is cherry. Both vehicles will easily do another 100k. Anyone have thoughts?

Really just depends on what you want/need. If were talking strictly a hunting rig I could care less about some cosmetic damage. Not sure if they were still available for that year, but if the 99 has a manual trans that would be my choice. If not I would probably lean towards the 05. The 3.4 is a little sluggish with the auto in my opinion. Though I'm no stranger to heavily modifying a vehicle so if the price was right I'd drive the 99 w/auto till I couldn't stand it anymore and swap it over to a 5 spd - got one sitting in the shed ready to go (y)

99:
Narrow'er so it will rub less brush.
The back seat will not fit adults at all unless they are vertically challenged.
Can be swapped over to manual hubs if it doesn't have them already. Huge win here.
Make sure that timing belt was changed on 3.4, or do it ASAP if it wasn't.
New brushes in the alt and new contacts + plunger in the starter is an easy 2 beer job if you can turn an wrench and are worried about the age. In my experience you've got a lot of life left in those with that low mileage though.

05:
More room, more power same MPG.
You won't find a car with an easier oil change than the 4.0. Oil filter is on top of the engine.
5spd auto vs 4spd in the 99. Combined with the extra HP and torque, makes a big difference.
No trans dipstick - supposedly filled with 'lifetime' ATF. Ya, right. Change it ASAP if the previous owner didn't.

Last edited:
Nice points, flyinsquirel.

Is there any real difference in safety between these generations?

I'm doing research, but thought I would ask here as my primary purpose is to hunt. Drive an F250 now.

I’d go with the 4th gen.

Having owned both, the 3rd (2000) was a good bit more narrow. Handy for trails but a bit tight for two broad shouldered guys with cold weather gear on hunting or ice fishing. Sold the 3rd gen with about 240k on the clock but one of the cats went bad so gave me traction issues because of Toyota’s CPU system.

4th gen has the 5spd so nicer for long distance drives. I wouldn’t hesitate driving my 07’ out to CO from WI for hunting. The 3rd gen just never gave me the warm fuzzies to do anything like that. The 4th has more leg room as well. The maintenance on the 4th gen can be a bit more complicated than the 3rd but anything and everything can be found easily explained on T4R.org.

I’ve owned my 07’ since 2010 and all that’s needed fixing was a ball joint and a headlight. That is, until my wife crashed it this spring during a snow storm.

At least the insurance covered the cost of a new steel front bumper and a full suspension/lift upgrade!

So I need some input.

Gen 3 or Gen 4 4Runner?

Forgot to mention in my previous post, I believe there are more “standard” airbags on the 4th gen than the 3rd. Also, I’d say the traction control system is better on the 4th gen than the 3rd.

Also, I should note: when my wife crashed our 2007, she failed to tell me that she previously lost the gas cap a week prior so the CEL was on which knocks out the traction control which I think would’ve saved her from running into the stone wall after hitting some ice.

That’s my only gripe with Toyotas. Why should your emissions affect your drivetrain? If you’re missing a gas cap, an O2 sensor goes bad, or a cat goes bad, your traction control goes out the window... At least you can finally do donuts I the snow then...

Nice points, flyinsquirel.

Is there any real difference in safety between these generations?

I'm doing research, but thought I would ask here as my primary purpose is to hunt. Drive an F250 now.

Back