opinion for hunting tacoma or 4runner (already have a big truck)

I own a CCLB F350 and a 16 4runner off road. The 4runner is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It goes wherever I want, never missed my Jeep yet. Quiet, comfortable, drives nice on the road, lots of room inside for 1-2 guys on a trip. Flyrods fit inside. Rear folds completely flat for lots of cargo room. Best snow vehicle I’ve ever owned (snow, not icy road subaru stuff). I have 75k on it now and its like new. I prefer to drive it over my truck, which I only use for towing now. I love the simplicity of the vehicle, yet it is still pretty nice as far as I’m concerned. Gas mileage sucks, about 17 average. Doesn’t matter to me though. I hope they don’t screw up the nextgeneration, but I don’t think it’s avoidable.

I think the actual Hitch-Hauler. My wife had it for her car and I made it mine. It came this way. I like it but worry full coolers would be a bit much. For the ride home we could put them in the back.

I can get a better picture of it. Pretty sure I could carry three full size coolers.
I got a hitch hauler too, but I think mine is half as wide as yours. You got a real nice set up!! I got a 2002 Tacoma Double Cab I really love. I got a big Tule on top, like you got a topper. I wish it was white, white is a pretty neat color and reflects the sun. Thanks
Bill

Nothing and nobody knows better than I do when I want or need to shift gears. That's why I won't own an automatic. I can't even imagine a Toyota 4x4 with an automatic.

Are you unaware that Toyota sells auto trannies that can be manually shifted?

those are never the same as a true manual, it's a try it once or twice and never again for a old school manual person

Mine works perfectly fine for highway grades in the context that was being discussed, as you can easily time the upshifts and downshifts.

I have my eye out for one to start another project but my wife is really wanting a weekend cruiser and wants and older bronco, scout II, or FJ60 land cruiser. I like the classics but man the comforts of that 4 runner limited trim was pretty nice!!!! Plus those 70’s bronco and scouts have gotten pricey for even a decent running mildly restored unit. Anybody have any experience with the FJ60’s? They seem like a good mix of classic and somewhat modern amenities

Man I think the 60s are a little old school maybe even carburetor.
Look into the FJ80 straight 6, straight axles. More of a mid size width.
And there is some "holly grail" 91-94? With center diff lock and double axle lockers.
[/QUOTE]

My hunting "rig" is a triple locked 94 FJ80 with 3" OME lift and 33" Toyo AT's.

So from what I can tell you want new or newer.
You should really get a membership on Tacoma world if your thinking about a 2016 or newer Taco.
They seem to be really love or hate and not as reliable as the older ones. Maybe it just that people with bad experiences are the ones that talk.
They also seem under powered and in 18 or 19 they put something on called tss and it a bunch of electrical safety garbage they seem to have problems with.
I believe the 4runner has a much more vetted and powerful engine. If it was me I think I'd look for a lo mile 12-15 taco.
Or better yet the 4runner and a 10ft Trailer.
I think 4 runners are great.
But without a trailer idk how I'd want to get a smelly tick infested critter home.
I absolutely hated the transmission in my 2018 Tacoma. I have owed toyota Tacoma's since they came out in 1995. I traded my 18 Tacoma for a 19 4runner and I'll never go back to a Tacoma until they fix the shifting points on the tranny. I bought a used Chevy pickup to have around for towing and the utility they provide.
The best Tacomas had the 3.4 motor with a 5 speed manual.

The OVTune engine and transmission tune on the ‘16+ 3Rd Gen Tacoma’s completely fixes the auto transmission issue. Love my ‘17 Tacoma TRD Pro AT with OVTune

I'm a 3rd gen 4runner owner - never had another toyota. I dig the 3rd gens because their super reliable and simple. Also, if you compare price on a 3rd gen 4runner vs the same era Tacoma's, the 4runner is half the price - they are cheap! I picked up my mint 96 with 175K on it for $3500.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the Tacos, and would buy a 1st Gen double cab if I could get it for cheap, but they tend to be overpriced.

Also, the 3rd Gen 4runners were made in Japan and I don't believe they suffered the frame rust issues that the 1st Gen taco's did.

That’s for the pointer on the 3rd Gen 4Runner price advantage

Back