Oregon Fires

Roosiebull - I am pretty sure the LEO you are talking about I am friends with as well, and you are correct in saying that he has been going nonstop. One of very few I would completely trust. Absolutely a solid dude, and a fish killing machine. Known him since softball days. It also sounds like you live pretty close by where I do - I was one of the people who lost their house early Wednesday morning.

Spike Camp - This fire, and the others in the area, were started completely by Pacific Power not shutting down. The power at my house went off and came back on probably 10 times, associated with blue flashes in the sky and sounds of arcing, followed by the smoke and flames. I stayed up all night and have pics of the hill as the fire progressed. You would think that Pacific Power would have taken notes from Paradise California, or maybe a clue from PGE sitting down Mt Hood. Short story, they turned on the power to the main transmission lines coming over the coast range repeatedly, even after the fires started and were reported. Yep, they knew this storm was coming, and didn’t make the tough decision. At least that is my take on it - I invite any suit&tie from pacific power to talk to me face to face and tell me I am wrong.

Elk dreamer - please don’t take this the wrong way, and no disrespect meant. Given the choice, would you rather miss American Idol and have melted ice cream, or not have a house to go home to?

We will rebuild, and will come out better for this experience in the end. If you didn’t lose your house, walk around and take a video record of EVERYTHING, and zoom into the model/serial numbers. Then get that video off your phone - email, cloud based storage, whatever. This will give you proof of what you owned for insurance purposes, AND you can watch it to locate certain things if something were to happen.

A friend said it best tonight - Welcome to 2020 the game, you have achieved level August and are beginning level September, release the fires!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yep, solid dude for sure, one of my very short list of real friends.

so sorry to hear about your house man..... still cannot believe how bad it got, and the speed it happened, as well as the lack of answers to be had. sucky few days for lots of reasons, and daily i'm hearing stories of the unfortunate through my wife.... bums me out bad.

i hope you guys have a plan while things are sorted out, insurance is one thing, but what are folks supposed to do until then... and beyond that, until they get a new home built? tragic, still makes me sick thinking about it, that people are living that reality in masses.

still eerie around here, driving around, and i have not seen the bad areas yet. it sounds like you are close to me, if you need anything, reach out, i will absolutely help if i can.

I’m really glad you got out of it without losing anything TJ. Pretty sobering experience.

We are in a pretty good place right now, considering. Wife is with kids on the east coast, so I know she’s safe. I landed in a really nice spot, and the people I am staying with opened their home to me. I absolutely lucked out. Bought a truck and travel trailer for wheels and shelter (expensive weekend!). And yes, 2020 can suck it because we are going to rebuild.

Roosiebull - if you are the one he tells me about, you are a good dude too. I would like to meet you. Beer, my place, right after we can move this trailer back in!

Finally got into the property and was able to really look around. Pictures kinda speak for themselves...

3a2cd26a72f7af707024ce3acee11283.jpg

17a483beb4ba7493e1020903cd776d5b.jpg

That pool of shiny stuff is the aluminum from the block on the wife’s car.

Finally got into the property and was able to really look around. Pictures kinda speak for themselves...

3a2cd26a72f7af707024ce3acee11283.jpg

17a483beb4ba7493e1020903cd776d5b.jpg

That pool of shiny stuff is the aluminum from the block on the wife’s car.

Sucks. Sorry. Was up above Mehama/Lyons two days ago, still smoldering in the woods, similar devastation in places.

I am in Molalla. It is amazing to think one more day of hard east wind could have wiped out 4 small towns including mine. This video is my house at 8:30AM. It was like this for about 2 days. Pretty creepy experience. Nice to be able to pack up all of my hunting food stash in a hurry and we could survive for a week.
IMG_3053.PNG

Feel bad for you folks that lost structures, belongings, and equipment. My dad knows a guy who lost millions in logging equipment.

Was talking to a few sources and one mentioned that weyerhauser had about 3 times more land destroyed from these fires than what was destroyed from St. Helen's blast zone. Sounds like a few of their contractors lost everything as well.

These fires will happen again and everyone should be prepared no matter where they live.

Just got to the Riverside fire in Oregon. Lots of work left on all fires to put them to bed.

Back