Oregon Wilderness Bull

Well I'll start off with this pic I took of my buddy Blake with his bull.
Then I'll add more as time permits. After all I'm tired & I have meat that needs cut & wrapped.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
OP
Hunt'nFish
hell ya! why isnt he a member telling his story?...
I'm working on that. He's not a real fan of hunt forums but I assured him Rokslide is different.
Took 3 loads each to get it all out. 45miles total. And to think his bull last year was even bigger.
This was our first year doing backcountry backpack hunting and it was a real learning curve.
Although we did use his goats for scouting, we elected to hunt w/o them. Kinda re-thinking that.
Originally I was supposed to just be goat/camp tender. But his partner flaked out on him and I
had to step in as main hunt partner.

Now keep in mind I'm a rifle hunter and I sound horriable w/ a bugle, but he said I had to step up and do my best. Well is wasn't pretty but he said it was enough for him to work in close. He set up at 40yds or so and the bull worked right to him...like 20-30ft close! He called me on the radio to tell me I could stop bugling now and I thought he ment I sounded so aweful it blew the stalk and the elk went away. But no... he said, "we're done, it's a nice one"! What? You got one down? "Yeah, he's a toad." SWEET!

Time for me to be his mule. I may not be fast but I'll get'er done. One load I took a hind & front shoulder out, bone in. I've forgotten how big those qtrs are, they seem smaller on mules. he, he, he.
Well after this season scouting & hunting with him, I think I've lost 20lbs of fat and replaced it w/ 30lbs of muscle! Ha, ha I know but seriously I feel great even though I'm 10lbs heavier than I was on our Rokslide hike. I'm serious. I need to keep this backpack hunting up this season as I have a big bull wilderness rifle bull tag myself later this year. Fortunately I'll have my Brother & his mules' help for that though. But hey, why stop now?
Hunt'nFish

PS: I taught Blake how to make butthole sandwiches, he's a big fan of them now!

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
I had a chance to score this bull at the shop the other day. Gorgeous bull. Very symmetrical. Pushed the 300" gross mark.

OP
Hunt'nFish
I had a chance to score this bull at the shop the other day. Gorgeous bull. Very symmetrical. Pushed the 300" gross mark.
And 300 was my exact guess too. Good thing we didn't have any shaved head bets on this one.
But I have to admit, after comparing it to the one he took last year, I was wanting to back peddle. But I tell you, for a mature bull it sure eats good!
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
And 300 was my exact guess too. Good think we didn't have any shaved head bets on this one.
But I have to admit, after comparing it to the one he took last year, I was wanting to back peddle. But I tell you, for a mature bull it sure eats good!
Hunt'nFish

In Oregon that bull is a no brainer unless hunting one of the "Big 3". Even in those units itll make you think twice.