PA Whitetails and CWD plans

Did any of you PA guys happen to catch the special on last night about the PAGCs plan to curb CWD in our whitetail population? I got caught up glassing deer in the backyard and missed half of it. Something about planning to kill of massive amounts of deer?

I wasn't aware of that proposition but based on what I've heard and seen about CWD drastic measures are necessary. I would rather have a recovering population in 10 years than a much larger problem.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who will fight this tooth and nail.

I did not see it and would be interested in it. I know they have been using sharpshooters in some of the CWD areas to remove large quantities of deer to try to slow the spread of CWD for a few years. I don't know how effective it has been though. If anyone knows of a link to this or where it was originally aired I'd be interested in it as well.

Total knee jerk reaction that will do nothing to stop CWD. I would venture to say that G&F will kill more deer than CWD does.

When they first found cwd in WI they went the wholesale slaughter route. Think 2+ month rifle gun season instead of 9 days, lifting shotgun restrictions allowing rifles in almost all areas, unlimited free tags, dnr sharpshooters over bait, carcass drop off stations where you could dispose of whole deer, etc. They/we killed tons and tons of deer to the point few deer were left in many of the core areas. Now fast forward 18 yrs and much of the core area has come back with pockets of extremely high deer numbets in spots and we still have 40+% infection rate of adult bucks in most of the core area and the core area keeps growing every year. The massive kill off at this point seems pretty much pointless and a huge waster of a resource and $. I would think trying to reduce the areas that are grossly overpopulated along with moderate reductions in the rest of the herd and spending the $ towards testing and monitoring would be a much greater use of $ imo. But it seems almost every state that finds cwd follows the same playbook. Kill them ll before they die

Wisconsin stopped the program before reaching there goals and likely started too late.

Not sure the situation in PA. But that sux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wisconsin stopped the program before reaching there goals and likely started too late.

Not sure the situation in PA. But that sux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We didnt reach the dnr goals because hunters stopped supporting it because total eradication of a species from a large area is a tough sell. Not sure how WI couldve started eradicating any sooner either? As soon as they found the disease they started killing.

I was only sharing my experiences with cwd as i live and hunt in and around the core area(they used to call it the eradiaction zone) since it was discovered in WI

We didnt reach the dnr goals because hunters stopped supporting it because total eradication of a species from a large area is a tough sell. Not sure how WI couldve started eradicating any sooner either? As soon as they found the disease they started killing.

I was only sharing my experiences with cwd as i live and hunt in and around the core area(they used to call it the eradiaction zone) since it was discovered in WI

Not challenging you on this but did anyone publish studies on the WI effort? I hunt in Eastern PA and southern NY and it is starting to become a topic of conversation.

I hunt the CWD zone, but not the core. Hunters stopped supporting it and it became a political issue quickly. This article from 2015 compares WI vs our neighbor to the south: http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...slow-spreading-cwd-b99560237z1-322353591.html

There is still debate on the right course of action, but it's been spreading fast now that there is no longer any attempt to manage the disease. I don't know if the plan had worked in WI if the public had bought in and I don't have the right answer. But I'm afraid of what the CWD rates will be here in another decade. I like hunting mature bucks and there has to be an infection rate that it will negatively affect bucks ability to reach maturity. Plus, I find prions creepy and couldn't bring myself to eat a deer I know to be positive.

Thanks for posting the videa. That does a great job summarizing what's known about CWD right now. Well worth an hour and I will see what else I can find from the Texas CWD Symposium.

Back