Pack feedback / comparisons

aeasley10

WKR
Hey guys I am trying to narrow down my new pack. I have tried on in store a Stone Glacier & Kifaru. Liked different things about both. Really like the EXO but never tried on. Recently came across “Initial Ascent” and like the looks and features.

Can anyone give comparisons/feedback on the Initial Ascent packs vs any of the big 3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you live? I travel a bit maybe you can check mine out in person.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
aeasley10

aeasley10

WKR
Where do you live? I travel a bit maybe you can check mine out in person.

I’m in OKC, OK. Kinda doubt you’ll be swinging through here lol

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m in OKC, OK. Kinda doubt you’ll be swinging through here lol

Yep I typically don't get over that way. IMO Packs are like boots you have to try them and decide how they fit you.
I've used a kifaru pack for 7 or 8 years. I have a duplex for heavy hauling and bikini frame for light and fast trips like scouting.
I'm going to be running Initial Ascent pack going forward as I feel it can fill both those roles for my needs. To me it has simply been a more comfortable fit, the Initial Ascent belt is the best I've worn yet. I really love the 2 stage lumbar pad. The carbon frame gives some weight savings, it also has a nice curve that provides my lower back ventilation, and hauls a heavy load. It's passed every durability test I've given it. The Initial Ascent 4K was Cliff tested check out the video here- Cliff Test. I've packed half a bone in elk with it, put a full antelope on the meat shelf, and hope to throw a buffalo on it next month. I like the bag lay out a bunch too. Dual side entry zippers making finding things easy. Spotting scope pocket works well for my Kowa 77. I like the lid with the water bladder up there and the button holes on top to keep it tucked tightly in place. I'm thinking of going to the 6k pack after I'm done this season just for a bit more room. Hit me up with any questions or check out Les and mine on going review thread here- Initial Ascent Gen2 review.

Last edited:
OP
aeasley10

aeasley10

WKR
Yep I typically don't get over that way. IMO Packs are like boots you have to try them and decide how they fit you.
I've used a kifaru pack for 7 or 8 years. I have a duplex for heavy hauling and bikini frame for light and fast trips like scouting.
I'm going to be running Initial Ascent pack going forward as I feel it can fill both those roles for my needs. To me it has simply been a more comfortable fit, the Initial Ascent belt is the best I've worn yet. I really love the 2 stage lumbar pad. The carbon frame gives some wieght savings, it also has a nice curve that provides my lower back ventilation, and hauls a heavy load. It's passed every durability test I've given it. The Initial Ascent 4K was Cliff tested check out the video. I've packed half a bone in elk with it, put a full antelope on the meat shelf, and hope to throw a buffalo on it next month. I like the bag lay out a bunch too. Dual dude every zippers making finding things ready. Spotting scope pocket works well for my Kowa 77. I like the lid with the water bladder up there and the button holes to keep it tucked tightly in place. I'm thinking of going to the 6k pack after I'm done this season just for a bit more room. Hit me up with any questions or check out Les and mine on going review thread.

Thank you for the info, very helpful! I was kinda concerned about the tabs on the frame getting broken off. Please send me the link or title of your review on the pack if you get a chance.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok edited the links to the review thread and cliff testing in my reply above. I thought the tabs might be an issue myself but after the cliff test I'm pretty sure it isn't breaking from field use. Initial Ascent also offers a lifetime guarantee on the integous frame if a garbage truck runs it over or something crazy like that breaks it. You might look into ordering one to try -- Initial Ascent offers a 30 day money back return policy so you can order and see if the fit is right for you. Let me know if you have any questions

Team Initial Ascent

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys I am trying to narrow down my new pack. I have tried on in store a Stone Glacier & Kifaru. Liked different things about both. Really like the EXO but never tried on. Recently came across “Initial Ascent” and like the looks and features.

Can anyone give comparisons/feedback on the Initial Ascent packs vs any of the big 3?

Let us know if there are any questions we can answer for you. We have everything in stock and packs are shipped within 48 hrs of the order placement. Dennis