Pack for wife

Hey everyone, my wife is 5’4” and 110 lbs ish. Any recommendations on a day pack/ hiking pack/ has the ability to haul meat. She would like to just get a decent hiking pack from REI bc she goes on camping hikes with a good friend a couple times of year.
We’re going out to Montana to hunt mule deer this season and like the idea of her being to help pack out meat obviously. We’re both new to western hunting this year.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
Eberlestock x2. My wife loves hers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
My wife does very well with her kifaru markor and duplex frame but it would be overkill for backpacking although we both use our Kifaru’s for backpacking.

Skins

FNG
My wife uses a Mystery Ranch Mule for day hunts and loves it.

We have done a few overnight hikes and she’s used the load shelf and a dry bag to expand its capacity for off season overnight hiking.

Fits her small frame well.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My wife is 5'8 and 130 and runs the Stone Glacier Xcurve Frame and on a 3 or more day hunt will run the sky archer 6200 to go with it. The frame in completely adjustable to fit just about any one. The frame weighs 3.1 pounds and can hold up to 155 pounds on the load shelf. Love this pack cant say enough good things about it.

I bought my wife a Kifaru Hunter frame and had them cut the shoulder strap padding three inches and re sew it. She is 5'2" and weighs 120 pounds for comparison.

My wife is 5'6" and uses the KUIU Icon Pro with the small size frame. She won't haul enough weight to really need anything else.

psirus7

WKR
Dietter, I have the same dilemma. My wife has an Eberlestock Terminator and hates it. She’s 5’5, 125 pounds. Have you settled on a new pack for her?

OP
D
Dietter, I have the same dilemma. My wife has an Eberlestock Terminator and hates it. She’s 5’5, 125 pounds. Have you settled on a new pack for her?

No we haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet but I believe we're just going to get the REI hiking pack that she really likes and fits her well. A couple reasons.
1. She is not going to be using it often for hunting at all. If we are lucky we will go out west for 1 hunt a year (and that's wishful thinking, especially with kids in the future). So it shouldn't get too beat up
2. If I were to force a hunting pack on her and she doesn't like the fit the whole week we are out there it's not going to be good.
3. She will do more back pack hikes with her friends than back pack hunting trips.

Here are the cons
1. The colors are not very hunting esk of the pack she wants. I think it is a burgundy earthy color though
2. Material is louder and swishy. But my Kifaru canvas isn't that much quieter either. Also we will taking the packs off to make a stalk.
3. It's an internal frame. so if we need to pack out (lord willing) I will just stuff the meat inside her pack or rig it to the outside some how.

I know you probably won't go the same route but that is the way I think I will be heading.

Lawnboi

WKR
Check out seek outside. Checks off a lot of boxes for a crossover pack. My wife likes her peregrine and is similar size. You might need to call and get an extra small waist belt.

Lawnboi

WKR
I also saw your post in the mule deer section and see your going in September. Make aure the both of you have packs that allow you to get a deer out fast, it can be very hot that time of year.

OP
D
I also saw your post in the mule deer section and see your going in September. Make aure the both of you have packs that allow you to get a deer out fast, it can be very hot that time of year.

Roger that,

Get a solid color badlands 2200. They have been on sale and could realistically pack any amount of meat she could.
Or if you want to get her a real pack search around for a kifaru 22" frame and a ranger green 22mag.

My wife (5'4'') uses a standard Kuiu. It just barely goes short enough for her, but she really likes it for heavier packing.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Mystery Ranch Pintler or Metcalf both come in women's specific harnessing -- either one is a great option, available in Foliage, Coyote or Sub Alpine too.

Outwest

WKR
I have an osprey posted in the classifieds that should fit her. My wife used it for a while and liked it but has since upgraded. PM me if you are interested.

psirus7

WKR
Thanks Dietter....I might just do the same thing. I can alway use a Kuiu rain cover to hide the pink. 😉