pack pad odor

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Mystery Ranch pack that I used on my sheep hunt. It has a main pad in the middle of the pack. Now every time I wear it and sweat, it emits a very powerful ammonia like smell. Once it dries it is barely noticeable to me. I have tried soaking it in cold water and Dawn dishwashing soap and then using a hose. But I think all my old sweat is too embedded in the foam padding.
Any suggestions? I am thinking I will try my power washer on the low setting nozzle. My last resort is to remove the pad from the frame and mcgyver a new one onto the frame.

Either that, or buy a new pack. My packs get relatively odiferous after after a year or two and I just live with it till it comes time to buy a new one, which is about every four years. But, you could try pressure washing it - which I don't think will help - or simply buy a new pack. Maybe next time, try a pack with webbing against your back, instead of foam padding.

BBob

WKR
I’ve had decent luck in the past with soaking in MiraZyme which is now called ReviveX. In some cases it worked fantastic and in others it was so so.

ytlogger

FNG
I can smell your pain. My first internal frame pack was a Dana Designs, kind of an earlier version of Mystery Ranch. Great pack in it's day. Somebody suggested to me to try stuffing it in a big garbage bag with about a half pound of coffee grounds for a while so I did that for a few months in winter. Don't do that - your pack will smell like really bad coffee made with chickensh!t. Recently I have had good luck with different solutions of water and vinegar in water bladders and bottles. I wonder if a soak in that stuff would work. I might try it with the shoulder straps from my SG pack, after the season is over.

svivian

WKR
Ive soaked my pack in a medley of vinegar, dawn soap and detergent over night and then let sun dry for a few days and that has taken alot of smells and stains out over many seasons.