Pants with zipper vent on sides

feanor

WKR
Has anybody modified their hunting pants with side zipper vents on the inseam or outer seams? Early season especially can get things really steamed up in there, and it would be nice to dump that heat.

Norm555

WKR
I really like Kuiu pants since nearly all of their pants come with an exterior thigh zip vent to dump heat. Never had the motivation to modify existing pants but I'm sure it's doable.

Zipper on the inseam? That could be problematic no? Thinking about stress and failure points. Also what about potential abrasion issues? I've left my fly open before, that helps some.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
The kuiu pants were what i was basing some of it off of. I just figured i have some cheaper hiking pants that i could put a zipper on. Also, like a ski pant, which has zip vents, it seems feasible to create it without having to worry about stress points. Ive put ski pants through the wringer, and no rips etc.
I like the fly idea though! maybe get a cross breeze (=

Jimss

WKR
Take a look at Kuiu Tiburons. Boy they are nice for summer and early season hunts! Super light, less bulky, breath well....plus have the vents you are talking about. I vented the sides when I was hiking this summer but the fabric breathes so well that it would still be fine without vents. Breathable material that can still take a pounding is super important!

Last edited:
OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I do like the look of those. Maybe try to find a used pair and solve my over heating problem.

GotDraw?

WKR
I swear by Fjallraven Keb Gaiter pants-
Fjallraven Keb Gaiter Pants

Video about Keb Gaiter Pants

Not cheap, but awesome. You can find them on discount on the web if you search.
  • Thigh vents
  • Lower leg converts to a gaiters , so pants can become shorts w/gaiters or convert to shorts and leave lower leg gaiter loose around your ankle so you can pull them back up quickly if cold. This functionality is awesome when climbing and hot or moving from hot sun to cold shade.
  • Stretch material where you need it, reinforced abrasive resistant material in seat, double fronts and lower legs/gaiters
  • NOTE- sizing is European, so refer to the size chart to convert to US inches
Simply a great a durable pant, mine are 4 years old and going strong

JL