PB, Bacon and Honey Sandwich Question

gethuntin

WKR
You guys that make them in the field is it best to buy precooked bacon and eat it as is out of the pack or do fry it up and pack it along in a Ziploc?

BTW, you don't have to use a bagel, i.e. - make a butthole sandwich, to make a peanut butter, bacon, and honey/syrup sandwich. You can use sandwich thins, any hearty bread, tortillas, english muffins, or anything that won't flatten out like regular sandwich bread will. They only picked up the butthole monicker because of the hole in the bagel.

BTW, you don't have to use a bagel, i.e. - make a butthole sandwich, to make a peanut butter, bacon, and honey/syrup sandwich. You can use sandwich thins, any hearty bread, tortillas, english muffins, or anything that won't flatten out like regular sandwich bread will. They only picked up the butthole monicker because of the hole in the bagel.

Yep I've been using whole wheat sandwich thins and really liking them!

Mike

AZ Ron

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a look at my sandwich in CO last week... Peanut Butter, honey, and bacon on an english muffin, assembled in the field. PB&honey in a squeeze tube, bacon in a vacuum sealed package, and english muffin in a ziploc bag. (1 tube good for ~4 sandwiches)

2013%2520CO%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520090.JPG

2013%2520CO%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520092.JPG

2013%2520CO%2520Archery%2520Deer%2520093.JPG

Here is my buddy's peanut butter and bacon sandwich on bagel thin that he made ahead of time and vacuum sealed and froze...
IMG_0092.JPG

cnelk

WKR
Everyone has failed to mention that you better have some water to drink after you eat one.
Dries your mouth out and you wont be entering any whistling contests either

But they are good.

Browtine

WKR
Creamed honey works awesome for these as well. It has the consistancy of peanut butter so doesn't tend to get your bread as soggy as regulary honey. I might just vacuum seal my bagel thins and bacon and take a Justin's PB packet and a packet of Honey Stinger Gold and finish making it in the field. Sometimes my pre-made ones can get a little messy once I vacuum seal.

Last edited:

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I typically make PB sandwiches while in the field. Pack the PB in a Ziplok snack bag. Enough PB for each day. Just bite the corner off the bag and squeeze out the PB, works great! After reading this topic, I am going full blown buttholes next time out, they sound great!

Manosteel

WKR
Yup they are good cold but if you have the chance to do a little toasting in the field then do it. I pre-make mine, vac-seal them and throw in freezer until hunt. take two out a day before to help day froast for first two days and rest are good by the time I get to them. I think I will try the English muffins next time out. The bagels get a little chewy if you cant toast, 4 days in :)

Pretty much everyone says to freeze them after they're made, are you keeping them frozen as long as you can and then packing them in with you or are some of you hunting from a base camp? I hunt from a spike camp and wonder how that scenario would affect their lifespan.

steve s

Lil-Rokslider
55 posts on how to make the perfect butthole sandwich - just two comments about that...

1 - Gotta love this site! Where else can you get so many experienced people sharing their perspective on such a great topics.
2 - Can't wait to try out some new variations!

Takeem406

WKR
OK, on page four... But I'm wondering how long bacon lasts when it's hot? What bacon works best?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Takeem406

WKR
So how's the bacon work during September in the heat for extended hunts? Doesn't most cooked bacon need to be refrigerated?

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
I make mine up and vac seal toss in freezer and take out what I need the day I leave to hunt have done up to 7 days in August/September with no side effects 😝

Takeem406

WKR
Perfect, just sounds like food poisening waiting to happen. But can't you get cured bacon that doesn't need to be refrigerated? Didn't the cowboys do this?