PB, Bacon and Honey Sandwich Question

Thanks for sharing your experience guys, I think I'll try some of these for part of my trip this year. Usually I eat mountain house, trail mix, jerkey, and bars throughout the day. MH doesn't bother me but I'm only 32. I'd like to get away from using it though because it's obviously not good for you to eat.

Do you guys find your sandwiches staying frozen past the first day in the field? We hang our food in a bag up in a tree to protect against bears so it does get sun on it. I'm just concerned it might accelerate the thawing and spoiling of these sandwiches. Any thoughts or input...

Josh

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your experience guys, I think I'll try some of these for part of my trip this year. Usually I eat mountain house, trail mix, jerkey, and bars throughout the day. MH doesn't bother me but I'm only 32. I'd like to get away from using it though because it's obviously not good for you to eat.

Do you guys find your sandwiches staying frozen past the first day in the field? We hang our food in a bag up in a tree to protect against bears so it does get sun on it. I'm just concerned it might accelerate the thawing and spoiling of these sandwiches. Any thoughts or input...

Josh
They definitely don't stay frozen past day 2 on most trips. I will usually just keep the bacon sealed in a package that way half of it remains sealed half of the trip. I've never had any spoilage with any of them though

Last edited:

Takeem406

WKR

Josh
So I was thinking about something this weekend while hanging a bag of trash in a tree... Pretty sure bears can climb trees... LOL but I guess this way they'll pose better for a picture if one comes to camp?

Thanks guys!
Wheat Montana makes a bagle that I believe is 350 cals or more. It's a lot. The kind of the bagle! I'll probably use these because they are local and whole wheat. No paleo for me, my grandpa would come out of his grave and whoop me if I wasn't supporting wheat farmers!

Felix40

WKR
A buddy brought some last year and I have to say I wasn't a fan. The bagel is just too dry and really doesnt have much nutritional value. It just ends up feeling heavy in your stomach and then you cant get anything else down that actually has value. I think he ended up picking all the bacon off and throwing most of the bagels away. For me personally, I'm better off with a candy bar and some bacon because Ill actually enjoy eating it and it takes up less space. The bacon is definitely a good idea though.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
So I was thinking about something this weekend while hanging a bag of trash in a tree... Pretty sure bears can climb trees... LOL but I guess this way they'll pose better for a picture if one comes to camp?

Thanks guys!
Wheat Montana makes a bagle that I believe is 350 cals or more. It's a lot. The kind of the bagle! I'll probably use these because they are local and whole wheat. No paleo for me, my grandpa would come out of his grave and whoop me if I wasn't supporting wheat farmers!

The accepted method that I've heard is to hang bags 6 feet away from the trunk. I've never hung a food bag in my life though.

Takeem406

WKR
Yeah, I didn't put much effort into finding a longer branch. But I'm not too worried about black bears. In the Front i would have put it a mile from camp lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I didn't put much effort into finding a longer branch. But I'm not too worried about black bears. In the Front i would have put it a mile from camp lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The best way I found to deal with bears possibly getting into my food bag is to hang it above my buddy's tent that way he can be the alarm

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just open the mountain house and hide my good snacks inside. Animals are way to smart to eat mountain house

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I just have a bear tag. Guaranteed to never see a bear

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

read this whole thread and man I tell ya, it is NOT the right thing to do when your sitting here hungry. Now wheres that danged PB..

Hmmm this also got me to thinking, (Bacon between 2 snickers bars and add layer of peanut butter!) Ohhh Dude,, that sounds like a BOMB of goodness right there.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I made a few of these last year. I added dehydrated bananas on top of the sandwich for a little cruch. I usually keep a handful for oatmeal so I'll toss some in in the field. Also I freeze mine before I vac seal that way nothing oozes out on the vac and it still keeps it's shape. I wanna thank everybody I would have not had this good of a lunch otherwise.

2ski

WKR
Go buy some bacon jerky. Its not refrigerated. Once you open it, it lasts a couple days. I can't remember if its just a couple or a week. It won't be crisp, but its your bacon.

as.ks.ak

WKR
f102ac20c7ee0b7ac1a86a2af840c2e9.jpg
766d8bae345c514745ace3f811c1c193.jpg
d2205a68c67b91a31fd7e667628a4964.jpg

Anybody else prepping to leave?! I take off Friday!

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

as.ks.ak

WKR
What type of bacon is that aa_smith11?

Did you bake it?

Yeah, it's just store bought peppered bacon....I might have added quite a bit more pepper myself. Cut them in half before throwing them in the oven for 11-13 min on 400.

I also toasted the English muffins before I did the bacon, let the muffins cool then added my mixture of PB & honey. Topped off with the bacon and they're in the freezer until I pull them out and vac seal them on Thursday night. Hit the road Friday after work.

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

jeffpg

WKR
I am convinced to try these bad boys out. They have to be awesome on the mountain.

Has anyone tried making these with Dave's Killer Bread?