AZ 6A Elk Pack Out Help 61 Year Old

hflier

WKR
Hi All,

After 10 years since my last archery hunt in AZ I got drawn again for bull elk in 6A. Last time I mixed it up pretty good with them, but did not tag out. Since then my skills have improved and now I have a dilemma. I am solo hunting and I am 61 years young. If I drop one it will be tough on me even though I am good shape. I am trying to find someone that can help with the pack out with a couple of horses. But have not been able to find anyone. I will be west of Mormon Lake. Anyone have any ideas or advice on how an older gent can get this task done? I have shot an Elk before but had a guide. I am will to pay for pack out service.

Any ideas would be appreciate.

Ron

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not far from that area. I’ll ask around and get back with you…

That country east of Munds Park is so interlaced with roads, that it shouldn't be too difficult to get an elk to your pickup truck. There's definitely guys in Verde that would do it on the cheap, though.

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Thanks guys. You are right. I am probably nervous about nothing. Take my time and find a close by road!

If I were closer I would come and help. However, prep the meat in smaller loads. Pack at night. Good luck!

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
If you get a big one down and have trouble, just quarter and hang it and drive into the nearest town (gas station, etc.) and find a couple of teenagers looking to make some money. This has worked many times and someone in town usually has stock or a quad or kids, friends, etc. Everyone gets excited when someone is successful during the season. Good luck!

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a quad or ability to borrow and bring one? The fact that you can use one in AZ is great. If you go slow, you can often get to or very close to your kill.

If you get a big one down and have trouble, just quarter and hang it and drive into the nearest town ..... Everyone gets excited when someone is successful during the season. Good luck!

Yep, there's a slew of minimum wage types in Cottonwood and Verde that are always looking for ways to make a fast buck.

Shoot me a message if you like. I will give you my cell and will be fairly close and if you get in a pinch can drive over and help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a big one down and have trouble, just quarter and hang it and drive into the nearest town (gas station, etc.) and find a couple of teenagers looking to make some money. This has worked many times and someone in town usually has stock or a quad or kids, friends, etc. Everyone gets excited when someone is successful during the season. Good luck!
Lol physical labor and teenagers don't exist these days in Flag. Or anywhere else lol

I live next to 6a. So many dang roads you’ll have atv’s within earshot the whole time.

Yes, there are a couple designated “quiet areas” that don’t allow vehicles, but you can walk across them in an hour so they aren’t that big.

I’ll be in Colorado in mid Sept for archery, but if I’m home I’ll come help you if you need it.

Send me a direct message and I’ll reply with my phone number. I don’t have enough posts here to be allowed to message you.

I live in in Flagstaff and really close to 6A. I’ll be hunting in Wyoming and won’t be back until about the 20th. Feel free to send me a message and if I can help you out, I’ll try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk