Phoneskope vs novagrade

So I bought a novagrade because I thought the idea of "phone and scope specific" like the phoneskope was might be a bad investment.
I really like the adjustability the novagrade offers and it's not very hard or time consuming to get it lined up.
I have a few questions. The first picture is phone zoomed out, scope on 22x (razor 22-48) attached to the novagrade.
It feels like the phones camera lens can't get into the proper eye relief area thus eliminating a lot of field of view.

The second picture is phone zoomed out, scope on 48x with me freehanding the phone against the eyepiece. Much more FOV

Does anyone have pictures of phoneskope zoomed out on low and high X showing field of view? Any tips and advice to a new digiskoper? IMG_4542.JPGIMG_4551.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the eyecup on the spotter twisted in or out when using your adapter? I just got mine last week and it seemed to work fine with the eyecup twisted in.

OP
itsTyrtruion
Yea the eye cup is all the way in. It's just like the metal frame is too thick to get the iphones camera lens close enough. Maybe if I take off the rubber eye cup cover? Idk

Did you also make sure the adapter fits all the way down? I had to go with a larger adapter and then add some electrical tape around the eyepiece to make it work properly. Otherwise, it would catch on the rubber eyecup and not seat properly since the rubber is just slightly bigger than the eyepiece and it was right between sizes of their adapters.

Bwana

WKR
Zoom the phone camera in to eliminate the kidneybean effect.

Both of my set-ups are different from each other(1 wants the cup in, 1 the cup out), but set your cup preference, then focus the scope with your eye and chosen power level on scope, then attach the Phone adapter, zoom phone camera in for full view.

OP
itsTyrtruion
Ok I get what you're saying but maybe I didn't ask my question correctly.
Here is a picture, novagrade on all the way down rubber eye piece touching inner metal of the adapter IMG_4569.JPG
I can zoom that in to eliminate the kidney bean effect... but if I remove the adapter and freehand my phone and find the sweet spot I get this image. IMG_4570.JPG
On both, the phone is zoomed all the way out, the eye piece is all the way in and the scope is set at 22x

Free hand is obviously a better or more accurate eye relief. My question is does anyone have a phoneskope that can say or show the zoomed out fov on minimum power? I'm wondering if it's a better setup instead of the adjustable novagrade I went for.

OP
itsTyrtruion
Basically by hand I can get the phone in the correct eye relief position where on the novagrade it's a few millimeters too far away robbing me of the outside 50% of my field of view.
And if by chance you live in the top floor north west corner room of the Reno regency apartments I totally saw what you were doing to that girl... I promise I won't tell tho

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have to zoom my phone in slightly to eliminate the vignette also with the Novagrade. (Galaxy 5 sport with a Swaro 20-60x80 ats)

I don't have a phoneskope for my phone and spotter so I can't compare them side by side with the same phone.

svivian

WKR
Tomorrow I will try to take a pic with my phoneskope without zooming in on my phone so you can see what it looks like. From the pic you posted it looks a lot more tunnelish the phone skope.

Bwana

WKR
I have to zoom my phone in slightly to eliminate the vignette also with the Novagrade. (Galaxy 5 sport with a Swaro 20-60x80 ats)

I don't have a phoneskope for my phone and spotter so I can't compare them side by side with the same phone.

I have to do the same thing, with Swaro 20-60 or 30xSW 80ATM & a Samsung S7 with a Phone Skope model.

dotman

WKR
I've used tines-up, phoneskope, outdoorsmans and home made, they all do that and need the phone zoomed in and then the scope zoom adjusted. This has been my experience with both phone and p/s cameras on various spotters.

waer0502

FNG
Just got the Novagrade for my iphone X. Having a hard time getting it to work properly. My guess is I am not using the right components for the best fit. I can get minimal FOV on my phone. Must not be tight enough to the spotter lens?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got the Novagrade for my iphone X. Having a hard time getting it to work properly. My guess is I am not using the right components for the best fit. I can get minimal FOV on my phone. Must not be tight enough to the spotter lens?
Try adjusting the eye piece closer to the lens

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the novagrade for my oneplus 8pro and when mounted on my swaro atx I have the exact same issue as @itsTyrtruion . The housing of the spotter doesn't allow the novagrade to get close enough for full FOV. I have vignetting that I zoom to eliminate.

BluMtn

WKR
I have had the novagrade for several years now. Eye cup all the way in. Phone camera centered with the eyepiece so you have a picture in the middle of your phone. Then enlarge the picture on your phone until the black is gone.

Reactions: pc3

pc3

WKR
I have had the novagrade for several years now. Eye cup all the way in. Phone camera centered with the eyepiece so you have a picture in the middle of your phone. Then enlarge the picture on your phone until the black is gone.

This what I do on my sons Hawke and my Meopta S2