Pick up VS SUV

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been considering possibly going to a SUV. I have a crew cab Colorado with a tonneau cover now. When I go hunt it’s normally just my pack and everything goes on or in it. I don’t bring deer out whole. Always pack out. I do how ever haul my kids to either dance or shooting if my wife has to do one of the other. About the longest trips I make would be 6 hours one way. I don’t want a large SUV more like a four runner or something. I drive my work pick up 90% of the time. So the other truck just sits allot. I haul the trash in my work truck. I can not use my work truck outside of work. Plus it has GPS and a camera. I have several friends that have Subarus but I just ain’t a fan. Is there any pros or cons either way that I should consider

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your wife drive? If an SUV, drive hers on your next trip and see how you like it.

Pro for the pickup is any gear with a smell goes in the bed. Another would be any spare gear left under the cover is out of view.

Trees91

WKR
I tried it. Couldn't do it. I had a f250 and 4 door wrangler, sold the pickup and tried to get by. Turns out I do too many pickup things. Lasted about 6 months till I got another pickup. I know a lot of people get by without a pickup but it just didn't work for me.

I now have a f150 and 4Runner.

I've had a old tahoe for 2 seasons now. Can be a challenge, especially waterfowl hunting. It's got benefits though.
My dog and gear stay dry and warm. Its heavily tinted so it's pretty secure from people looking inside while parked. You can lay down in the back and sleep in it with the backseat folded down.

Bad things are the interior gets super messy between wet dogs and gear, blood and mud. Not as easy "throw and go" with your gear. Not hauling firewood around in it.

A hitch carrier will be your best friend.
20231109_123556.jpg

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
How about a truck cap? Allows for camping in the bed, you still get a bed you can get grimy and spray clean, you have more vertical coverage than a tonneau for contents you want to keep dry, lockable, can put a rack(s) the full length of the vehicle, can put a rooftop tent or cargo bag on top, increased weight over your rear (better handling), more aerodynamic (possibly increased fuel efficiency) than tonneau, more cargo space than SUV, dogs that get into skunks…

Cons: harder to take on/off and store if space is an issue, reduced visibility out the back (backup camera is helpful) and along sides, have to remove cap if your hauling taller items (although you can find some very tall caps), removing items near the front is more challenging (could build a drawer/deck/platform system).

In your situation I would 100% go to an suv.

Having an suv is great to do family things 98% of the time. Like running the kids and their gear around for whatever.
Sounds like you have a truck available to you with your work truck to do the small day to day truck things for that other 2% of the time.

The 4runners are nice but I'd be looking for a lexus gx. It's the 4runners tad larger, more refined, more functional, just as off road capable, V8 with same mpg, and equal if not better priced brother.

I went the GX route coming from a nissan frontier and haven't been disappointed or felt like I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of a truck. The suv is just so much more practical for a family man that does outdoor activities as well.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
It’s just a thought on my part. I’ve considered a cap also but I have a 5’ bed and I’m 6’2”. I also have a similar rear cargo rack. I’ve considered a few times before. I don’t really know what I want to do.

180ls1

WKR
You gave no compelling reasons to sell your truck.

That said, when its time to replace it I really like my SUV. The better weight distribution really helps off-road. I sleep inside it and it keeps gear safe. Nothing you cant do with a topper....

I’ve contemplated the same thing but I just can’t convince myself an SUV would be better for the things I do. Having a truck bed is too valuable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xsn10s

WKR
I miss my truck/ trucks. But I get by with my Tahoe and XJ Cherokee. If i had room for a small trailer my Tahoe would do most of my truck hauling duties. I've been thinking of getting a hitch set up. But for yard waste/ trips to the dump a trailer would be perfect.

I used to drive SUVs. I owned SUVs for 30 years. They worked ok for all my daily driving as well as hunting and fishing needs. About 5 years ago I got into kayak fishings. I got tired real fast of loading my yak on top of a SUV. I bought a crew cab pick up. I have found the pickup to a much better fit for me.
just easier not to have to worry about if my cooler is leaking in the SUV. One daily bonus is that the crew cab has less area to cool. No more dual ac systems. My cab area cools and heats very quickly.
Easy to keep looking clean as well. Hose out the bed and done. My buddy's talked me out of a cap for the pickup as they said daily drive would be a pain. I thought a tonneau cover would suck. I went with a tonneau. It didnt suck and like it. I regret no going to a crew cab pickup years ago.

Last edited: