Pin size .1 or .19?

Jon S

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at sights, know one can change the pins on some or the whole sight, but what do you like for what and where.
I’ve thought about diminishing pins but not sure on that.
Learn me please your experience and suggestions.
Thanks,
Jon

I prefer .010 for all my pins. I was worried they were too small when I first switched from .019 but I haven’t found any issue with not being able to see the .010 in low light.

I do find a little difference between the look of the size of pins between different brands. Black gold pins look bigger and brighter than the same size pin on a Spot Hogg. That said I have no issue seeing the Spot Hogg .010 in low light.

For .019 I like the tapered Black Gold pins.

I've got a black gold ascent 3 pin slider with 019 pins. I just added a fourth pin, 010 for my 20. I don't see much advantage with this black gold 010 pin because the pin housing is the same size as the 019 and still covers the target the same.
I still have some playing around with it to do and may try it as my 50 as well, but I'm thinking I'll probably end up back at 3 .019 pins.

The most consistent and accurate shooting I've ever done was with .029's out to 70 yards. But when I went to 7 pin sights SH only uses .019's or smaller. I tried .010's for 3D one year thinking they'd be more accurate. My score average dropped so went back to .019's and .029's. As said above, the pin float is much more apparent with smaller pins. I don't like that. Even with a larger pin I'm still aiming to hit behind the dead center of that larger pin, so that's not a big deal.

I'm pretty set on .019 anymore for hunting. I use to use .010, but prefer a little larger pin anymore.

Like others have said, smaller pin you tend to see more float.

For dots/3d I'm using a .015 pin, with a light, adjusting the brightness can basically change the pin size.

I always used 29 pins, but went to 19 several years ago. The pins on the HHA sights are bright enough that I didn’t miss the 29s. I won’t go smaller than 19, though.

20/30 .019. 40/50/60 .010. At 52 I'm struggling with the small pins. Bigger pins and/or verifier most likely in my future. Working with the eye doc too.

I’ve been using .019 pins I haven’t had a single issue with them but I have a had time leaving things alone so I might try .010 this summer.

Got a spot Hogg 2 pin on both my bows, long bar with .1 and a standard with .19, ended up putting the .19 on a long bar, and .1 on the regular. .1 on the long bar was hard to see. .19 on the long bar is money

I have Black Gold Rush sights on both of my Whitetail bows, and I hunt in bottomland hardwoods and other low light areas. I have been using .10 pins for three years now without any supplemental battery light source. At least on the Black Gold sights, they are plenty bright even with the small pin. Using my previous Spot Hogg Grinder, I needed bigger (.19) pins, and I say that as a bona fide Spot Hogg fan.

Back