Pocket rocket cup/kettle?

For those of you running the pocket rocket what cup/kettle are you using?

I was pretty set on the MSR Reactor but am considering the PR for weight and space savings, but when all I need is for about a 20oz cup not a 28oz and it seems to me a lid would make it way more efficient?.

I have been looking at the Snow Peak, the MSR Titan kettle has a lid but is big...

I have a pot with a lid and a GSI Nalgene cup. Everything fits inside of the pot and I can use the PR to boil water or I can put (and usually do) put my pot in the fire to boil the water.

For those of you running the pocket rocket what cup/kettle are you using?

I was pretty set on the MSR Reactor but am considering the PR for weight and space savings, but when all I need is for about a 20oz cup not a 28oz and it seems to me a lid would make it way more efficient?.

I have been looking at the Snow Peak, the MSR Titan kettle has a lid but is big...

The MSR Titan 0.8L is designed to fit around a standard 230 gm fuel canister. Additional space required in your pack is about nil. It's not the only one designed that way either.

0.8L is about perfect for one guy IMO. You need enough freeboard to keep it from boiling over and melting/burning things you don't want damaged (like your fingers).

Also smaller pots often heat very inefficiently due to the flames traveling up the sides of the pot. These seems to depend quite a bit on the shape of the burner head, but a 600ml is small on pretty much any canister stove. I've found the MSR Pocket Rocket works pretty well with the Titan, but the SOTO I have needs turned down a bit to work well. I've actually got one of the 600 ml Snow Peak mugs, and it's one of the GIF ideas the never leaves the gear box. Might work better with a alcohol or esbit stove, but isn't at all ideal for heating over a PR.

As a side note, an ultrathin singlewall ti mug is also a guaranteed way to burn your fingers and lips if you actually try to use it to drink from. It also cools your beverage at an amazing rate, so first you get burned, and then you get the pleasure of drinking cold coffee.

Yk

mae1993

FNG
GSI hualulite minimalist .6L insulated wrap, lid you can drink out of and silicon pot gripper. This is a great setup for a great price plus your drink stay warmer and you don't burn you lips. I have a Backcountry titanium mug with lid and folding handles but I would pay the weight penalty to use my brothers GSI and not burn my lips. The spoon is a joke.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
GSI cup with the to go style lid. Also have the GSI set that has a kettle, pot, skillet, and small cups. Have had really good luck with the brand.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got a pocket rocket and Titan kettle.

Gets the job done.
The Titan kettle is nice in that it has a lid, perfect size for one guy and you can nest the bigger diameter fuel cans in it.

The MSR Titan works well with it, as does the Oliecamp XTS.
As mentioned above a lot of the smaller pots/cups do not heat as efficiently therefore the weight saving are reduced due to an increase in fuel weight because of longer burn times.