Pre-scout Afognak or DCUA

I have a extra week of time off to spend over the summer. I drew both DS 203 (DCUA walk in sheep, my first time drawing this tag) and DB 291 (east afognak/marmot brown bear). I already have set aside a week to do sheep in August and plan to set aside two weeks next April/May to do Afognak.

I'd really like the week to scout the DCUA some more (there are some longer hikes I'd like to make that aren't possible in a weekend.) I've been going to the DCUA most weekends.
BUT...
I've never been to Afognak before.

I'm leaning towards spending the week in the DCUA, among other things it is closer and I will be solo. I've studied the maps of Afognak and read the reports...it's steep in areas, the weather and vegetation sucks. Lots of bears in some areas. For the folks who have been to Afognak, is my time better spent in the DCUA or on Afognak??

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I have worked bear hunts on Afognak, in the spring. Because of unpredictable snow depth in my experience it is a waste to scout there for a spring hunt. Be sure to take good snowshoes, and a sled if possible. I would also suggest a few predator calls.

I think Afognak is a hard place to hunt in the spring.

Last edited:
OP
akhunter87
I have worked bear hunts on Afognak, in the spring. Because of unpredictable snow depth in my experience it is a waste to scout there for a spring hunt. Be sure to take good snowshoes, and a sled if possible. I would also suggest a few predator calls.

I think Afognak is a hard place to hunt in the spring.

Thank you for your helpful advice.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I don't know how you would do this, but would be good to know where the mother ship for the herring fleet anchors up in some bay.

One time a hunter and I got dropped off in a bay, set up camp, went to bed, middle of the night a huge herring processor anchored, and about 20 herring boats also. With large generators, and many big flood lights it was loud and bright. They were there for a few days and nights. Very annoying, was nothing we could do as far as moving camp. Was very deep snow that spring.

I just drew the DB263. I have been to the North eastern part or raspberry island. it seems about the same but a lot steeper with narrower, rockier peaks.plan is to get high and glass low as they will be in Hyperfasia scavenging getting ready to den up.

Also allowed 3 deer. anyone with any experience on the deer population or any recommendations. this will be my 5th fly out hunt. I'm not an immature by any means. However, I have never hunted brown bears.

Bighorse

WKR
Sounds like you need to take more time developing a friendship. Having a solid and dependable partner onboard for your challenges will yield more advantage than wandering into the bush solo. Sure go hike and see mountains. Build routes and understand the topography. At the end of the day a dead bear and dead sheep should result requiring very strenuous extractions. By having a good relationship in play you'll get more range and capacity than any solo endeavor. I treat my good hunting partner better than some of the women in my life! Congrats on you success in the draw and good luck.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
If I understand your first post correctly, you were setting aside a week for the actual DCUA sheep hunt in August, not just a week to scout. My recommendation would be to bump that to a minimum of 10 days, and up to 14 days would be even better. Of course you could pull it off solo in a week, but that means that a lot of uncontrollable variables have to play into your favor. Having extra time will really increase your chances of success. You drew a great tag, and only setting aside a week for a sheep hunt isn't doing it 100% justice IMO.

I'm sure you've read and heard about the rough winter the sheep are experiencing in that area. It could take longer than expected to find a legal ram this year. I remember the weather was terrible for the sheep opener last year in multiple areas. If you figure a day of hiking in, a day of hiking out, that leaves you with 5 days hunting. Chances are not all 5 of those days are going to have weather that cooperates for sheep hunting. When you break it down like this, you can see why more time in the field is valuable.

Viper*6

FNG
Plus, you could encounter bad weather with low ceilings, low clouds and fog and not be able to hunt sheep. Plan accordingly.

DCUA all the way. Heard it was a very tough hunt last year so finding a legal ram may be a challenge. If you find one in the summer, plan to kill it opening morning