PSE Carbon Bows

Hello all,

I’m trying to commit to one bow for the next few years and currently shooting a 2009 bear assault.

The PSE carbon bows interest me and I was surprised to see how expensive these have become. (I just haven’t paid attention the last few years frankly).

Does anyone have insight as to whether the Mach 34 line is significantly better/different from the Mach 1 line? I see the ATA is longer which I believe I would like.

I’ve seen the Mach 1s used for what appear to be good prices. I plan to keep whatever I buy for a long time of it works for me.

My hunting area is typically prairie and longer shots. I also walk a lot.

I’m a 29.5 draw length shooting 70lbs typically. I also like that these bows are made in America.

I’m willing to hear any good or bad opinions. Like i said, I just haven’t paid enough attention lately and the bow shops seem to just market anything new as the best. Just looking for some insight.

Thanks all.

Marble

WKR
If you want opinions... go to a decent bow shop and shoot several bows. Don't ask what's best. The top 3-4 brands are all super close and boils down to a lot of personal preference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a mach34 with EC cam really enjoy shooting this bow

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
B
If you want opinions... go to a decent bow shop and shoot several bows. Don't ask what's best. The top 3-4 brands are all super close and boils down to a lot of personal preference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Good call. There are 3 good shops here - they’re just out of the levitate/Mach bows.

I did shoot a Mathew’s phase 4. Maybe it’s just me but I was hoping that a brand new technology bow (compared to my 15 year old bow) was going to feel “different.” It just didn’t feel overly impressive. I know my too high hopes are likely why I didn’t find it that great. Since I see the specs and new inline features are pretty innovative. I’ll keep trying to find a way to shoot a Mach style bow.

I've had a Mach 1 since it came out. Good bow, but the mach 34 fixed the biggest issue, a lousy cable rod design. I don't buy used bows, but if that's your budget, then the Mach 1 is a solid option, especially with some tap and bomar upgrades. 20230507_145837.jpg

Reactions: ZDR

STLLWTR

FNG
Biggest improvement on the Mach34 vs Mach1 is the Mach 34 features the wider limb pocket. In turn, more accurate as it will be more stable while aiming. Most of the other improvements are for the dealer making it easier to tune.

ZDR

WKR
I’m using a ‘loaner’ Mach34 right now with the S2 cams and it shoots Very well for me. My hunting bow is a V3X 33 and it weighs right at 7lbs with a QAD rest, HHA RYZ and tetra micro stabilizer. The M34 weighs in at 6.2lbs with the exact same accessories except the rest is a Hamskea epsilon. While the S2 cam is aggressive, it is surprisingly easy to shoot, just a bit rough on the draw. Setting it to 80 let off helped smooth that out. The grip is great and hard to torque so left/right misses are minimized for me.
I tried the Mach 1 and just didn’t like the string angle. Other than that, it is a nice shooting bow.

OP
B
Biggest improvement on the Mach34 vs Mach1 is the Mach 34 features the wider limb pocket. In turn, more accurate as it will be more stable while aiming. Most of the other improvements are for the dealer making it easier to tune.
That makes sense from what I’ve been able to read. Thanks for the info!

OP
B
I’m using a ‘loaner’ Mach34 right now with the S2 cams and it shoots Very well for me. My hunting bow is a V3X 33 and it weighs right at 7lbs with a QAD rest, HHA RYZ and tetra micro stabilizer. The M34 weighs in at 6.2lbs with the exact same accessories except the rest is a Hamskea epsilon. While the S2 cam is aggressive, it is surprisingly easy to shoot, just a bit rough on the draw. Setting it to 80 let off helped smooth that out. The grip is great and hard to torque so left/right misses are minimized for me.
I tried the Mach 1 and just didn’t like the string angle. Other than that, it is a nice shooting bow.
Forgive my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the string angle issue? I keep hearing about this and I worry that I’ll get into it and have an issue that ultimately will make me regret the initial savings by purchasing the Mach 1.

Would a levitate have the same issue? The price diff between the two seems to be about $200 usually in the used market and I wonder if eating that cost up front will save me headache. (It should also be known that I am NOT a good bow mechanic and likely would have to use a shop to dial me in/more money).

Thanks all

Reactions: ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Forgive my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the string angle issue? I keep hearing about this and I worry that I’ll get into it and have an issue that ultimately will make me regret the initial savings by purchasing the Mach 1.

Would a levitate have the same issue? The price diff between the two seems to be about $200 usually in the used market and I wonder if eating that cost up front will save me headache. (It should also be known that I am NOT a good bow mechanic and likely would have to use a shop to dial me in/more money).

Thanks all
The Mach 1 is a 32” ata bow and at my 29” draw length, the string angle makes the bow seem sensitive to any form errors on my side. I like longer bows like the Mach34 and even my V3X 33 which has monster cams. I just shoot them better.
Not sure about the Levitate, but I did shoot one a while back with the S2 cam and liked it over all despite the shorter ata.

OP
B
The Mach 1 is a 32” ata bow and at my 29” draw length, the string angle makes the bow seem sensitive to any form errors on my side. I like longer bows like the Mach34 and even my V3X 33 which has monster cams. I just shoot them better.
Not sure about the Levitate, but I did shoot one a while back with the S2 cam and liked it over all despite the shorter ata.
That’s good insight. I have a 29.5-30” draw. With this DL, should I avoid the 32” bows sort of in general?

The Mach 34 would be the bow I’m most interested in - unfortunately I have a hard time with the price of the bow and the total amount of money to set it up with a quality sight, rest, etc. as you know I’m sure it’s quite expensive.

ZDR

WKR
The other consideration is the lower brace height of the Mach 1. That combined with the shorter ata would be no go’s for me. The Mach 34 is pricey but the ata and the higher brace height make it an extremely forgiving bow, even with the S2 cam. There is a lot of nice bows out there that fit that criteria as well. best of luck and let us know what you end up with.

At 29.5" with the mach 1 you should still be able to easily touch your nose to the string at full draw. Not sure about 30".

Also not sure what string angle has to do with form errors, and I've shot a few thousand arrows through my mach 1 at 29" draw and it was not particularly sensitive. There's guys with longer draws shooting shorter Ata bows than the mach 1, they seem to do fine too.

Anyhow, you need to go to a shop and kick some tires, you're at the limit of what internet folks can really help you with. They're all good bows, and more similar than not.

ZDR

WKR
No question that some shoot short bows well at longer draw lengths. I don’t though. I have a Mach 34 and have shot the Mach 1 enough to know it’s not for me. Only way for the op to know for sure is to go test them.