Ptarmigan

Encore4me

FNG
I’m putting this question here because I think more people hunt these as an extra while hunting something else, like Caribou than just hunting them. Anyway my son and I are going to hunt the NBR for Caribou and I was going to take a single shot .410 for ptarmigan but I’m having a hard time finding nontoxic ammo for it. Would a single action .22 work? How far are the shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of ptarmigan hunting, but I'm doing it over my dogs with shotguns. That being said, for your situation, I would definitely go with the .22 over the .410. If you find some birds you should be able to make that work just fine. I think overall more ptarmigan in AK are killed with .22s than everything else people use combined.

Alaska 4x4 Rentals

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We've used everything. You can walk right up to them sometimes. I've taken plenty with my bow and small game tips.

Ptarmingan are like caribou...sometimes they are all around you,
other times not a ptarmigan within miles.

I hunt them in August with a labrador retriever and typically finding them is a function of miles covered.
rock_ptarmigan_landscape.jpg

Typically they are a low flushing bird which I do not like.
But a great bird for pup's first upland hunt.
puppy_ptarmigan.jpg

They are dark-meat birds, like sharptails or spruce grouse.
In August, they are often eating berries and taste fine.

duchntr

WKR
I’m putting this question here because I think more people hunt these as an extra while hunting something else, like Caribou than just hunting them. Anyway my son and I are going to hunt the NBR for Caribou and I was going to take a single shot .410 for ptarmigan but I’m having a hard time finding nontoxic ammo for it. Would a single action .22 work? How far are the shots?

Not sure what the NBR is, but if there is no weight restriction on your hunt and you for sure want to kill birds then take a shotgun. My preference on big game hunts is a suppressed 22 pistol. Shouldn't be a problem to walk within 30yds of any game bird unless they've been pressured, so take whatever you want and don't over think it.

I’m also going on a NBR Caribou hunt. Will be using a Ruger 10/22 backpacker or 22/45 Lite pistol.

Catchfish

WKR
One time when a dry bag full of mtn house got left at the drop off lake we used rocks and out of shape baseball arms to supplement our diet.

Attachments

• IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 44

JMonty

FNG
You can consider a collapseable .22 with the aforementioned suppressor/subsonic rounds to reduce your noise footprint. I wouldn't really bring a shotgun as it is overkill. Generally you want a shotgun for birds that are flying away and you need the spread of the shot to take them down. The Ptargmigan/grouse here just sit still so a .22 with ironsights or even a scope is ideal.

Going up with Ram Aviation this fall... I'm not much of a fisherman but I'm not much of an upland hunter either. Would you rather bring a .22 or .410 for ptarmigan or a fishing rod and catch grayling?

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Fishing rod. Last two trips to NBR we shot ptarmigan for camp meat with our 10 mm bear pistols. That said, we had fishing rods along - there was no fishing but a million ptarmigan and they were fun to stalk with a sidearm. MTC.

He’ll, in a pinch, even a .454 Casull will work.
Edit: These were taken using .454 birdshot.

50b4ce92d5b5967f610e0759240571da.jpg

9e16d1cbbdae0b0494cb04be6a31ac32.jpg

Last edited: