Puffy, Help

mh1

FNG
I've been on a couple of elk hunts and I was looking for a real puffy to add to my layering system. I have a Patagonia Nano Puffy Hoody that I've used during hunting, sometimes with a rain jacket over it to try to get warmer but it seems to me that I need a down puffy for glassing. I found a used Outdoor Research Coldfront Down Hoody for $100 and I'm wondering if that will do the trick? I tend to buy outdoor brands with earth tones. If the Coldfront doesn't work, any suggestions?

Wapiti151

WKR
i love the nano puff as an insulation/midlayer piece over my base layer...but it doesn't do much when it gets COLD. Sitka Kelvin Lite Down puffy is my go to for all scenarios down to freezing temps. That goes on over everything for me during stationary stints. If its below freezing, I break out the Sitka WS Down hoody. The WS doesn't come in solids though.

OP
M

mh1

FNG
Yeah I like the Nano Puff too and have used it as a midlayer over my merino base and fleece jacket and that's been fine but once I get to sitting for a while below freezing temps, I start getting cold so I was thinking I need something that I can put over all of that. The Coldfront seems like an option at a good price but I value good gear at a good price so value for my money is important to me.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Montbell Alpine Down Parka (evergreen color) and don't think I'll ever be cold again. Easily fits over my other layers. They are listed on their US site for $299 but you can order from Montbell Japan for like $175 total shipped- I think it would be hard to find a better value jacket. The Japanese sizes run a size small compared to US.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a Montbell Alpine Down Parka (evergreen color) and don't think I'll ever be cold again. Easily fits over my other layers. They are listed on their US site for $299 but you can order from Montbell Japan for like $175 total shipped- I think it would be hard to find a better value jacket. The Japanese sizes run a size small compared to US.
How bright is that green? looks super bright on the pics but wonder if it's less intense in person?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of Rab down jackets
I found a microlight alpine in an army green and it’s awesome!
It has treated down, dwr and tougher 30D shell

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Get the one that fits you the best. They are all the same. Never had a down sweater that was better than any other except for fit issues.

Dented

WKR
I've got a Helios in black, I'll wear a camo/ earth tone jacket over it for quiet and rain if needed. Great mid layer, not cheap but I'm NEVER cold.

Wapiti151

WKR
When your sick of screwing around, get the Sitka Kelvin WS coat. Not the lite.
Or the first light chamberin.
Or a custom.
I agree here, if you are only going to go with one down jacket as an "over everything" layer....i would get rid of all of my other down jackets before i got rid of the WS. That thing is a tank, and can you really be too warm when you are sitting there glassing? Buy once cry once. I would say, if you do, size DOWN. I am 6'4, 210 and the Large in the WS is more than big enough to go over 4 even 5 layers if need be (merino base, core heavy, nano puff, jetstream). I had the XL initially and i could have fit two more WS hoodies under it.

feanor

WKR

Pic is pretty accurate. Don't think it's that bright but definitely not a hunter green
Is it a full size smaller? What did you get versus what you wear normally?

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Is it a full size smaller? What did you get versus what you wear normally?
Normally a medium and ordered a large and it is plenty big. The measurements should be accurate.