Puffy Jacket/pants as a mid-layer for Whitetail hunting?

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Let me start with I live and hunt mostly in Michigan temps in late season are 30f to 0f. I hunt very deep in, walking between 1 mile and 3 miles to most of my stands. Right now, my outer layers are a set of old Cabalas insulated bibs and the Cabela's Woolite jacket with varying bases for the temps. I carry in a pack most of this clothing which very bulky and heavy but is a must to not overheat.

My idea is to lose some layers plus the bibs and jacket and replace with puffy pants and jacket. Then use a soft fleece thinner outer layer to make it all quiet. Anyone tried this will it still be too loud for stand hunting? I do not own any puffy stuff right now to test this out.

Thanks

Bump79

WKR
If you want to run a traditional puffy you won't want to be moving in it. You'd pack it in then put it on before you get in the stand.

OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Correct my question is more once on stand with it being covered with the fleece will it be quiet enough?

WoodBow

WKR
I think you should be fine, depending on the puffy. Pant noise should be almost nothing since they mainly make noise when your legs rub together. Fleece should solve that. You will likely still have some draw noise from the jacket but it should be greatly reduced. My FL uncomp is pretty quiet as is but not quiet enough for me to draw with no wind at close ranges. I might try the same.

Reactions: fey
OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks ya the jacket is my biggest worry I guess my next step will be finding the quietest puffy jacket.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I do since I do mobile archery hunting on public land. Keep puffy pants and puffy jacket in my pack and once I find a spot I throw the puffies on with a softshell over to keep things quiet. Not worried about quieting my puff pants since I'm not really moving my legs when I draw.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
I'd recommend an active insulation jacket for your purposes. Kuiu Kenai is extremely quiet but not as durable. Look into other companies outside the hunting brands too.

Then top with a wind resistant soft shell.

2muchhp

WKR
When the temps drop below 15 I wear my firstlite uncompahgre under my outer layer all the time. No problem with noise buried under Solitude jacket and bibs. Don't walk miles though.

Reactions: fey
OP
J

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I'd recommend an active insulation jacket for your purposes. Kuiu Kenai is extremely quiet but not as durable. Look into other companies outside the hunting brands too.

Then top with a wind resistant soft shell.
Do these pack as small and light as a puffy?

Thanks

Drenalin

WKR
Second the Kenai, but maybe a little light for the temps you described (would be for me anyway). I’d probably go base, mid, Kenai vest, Kenai jacket in your shoes. Kenai packs pretty good and is very quiet.

Lowg08

WKR
I already prescribe to this method for hunting western North Carolina mountain whitetail. So far ( still tweaking) I have found this to work very well. 250 base layer grid fleece mid down jacket and hardshell. I finally found a hardshell I believe will be great. Badlands exo. It’s brushed exterior, ceramic heat retention, wind/waterproof and packable.

Kenai is a great jacket but I prefer down any time over synthetic. I wear my brooks down allot and my chamberlain if it get way down. Can’t shell over it. I try to stay at four layers. Warmth to weight is important but willing to pay the penalty for the right item.

Bump79

WKR
Do these pack as small and light as a puffy?

Thanks
They are typically almost as light but pack a hair bigger. There are benefits of synthetic vs down but also downsides. Benefit is warm when wet, dries significantly easier but the real benefit for you will be the sound and easier layering.

Down is really designed as an outer layer as it is hard face and has very limited breathability.

I've been eyeing this one from Decathlon. Everyone swears by their down coat and for the price it might be tough to beat.

I think puffy clothes loose a lot of insulation value if you squeeze them too much under an outer layer. Make sure your out is loose.

jd1006

WKR
I’d look into that SG Cirque Jacket for up top. And then a Heater Body Bag for in the stand.

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
I also used the kenai as an insulation layer. Worked well. Under my stratus. Would recommend also it’s still quiet enough as an outer layer

DComer_55

Lil-Rokslider
I started doing this last season and didn't have any noise issues.

FL Uncompagrhe is pretty quiet, although maybe not warm enough for your climate.

Look at Thlete camo, they use primaloft gold insulation in both their tailwind puffy and their new Northstar.

You'll definitely want a soft shell to block the wind.

If you want camo, I'd go with the thlete phantom 2.0. Has a membrane in it, so its 100% wind proof.

If you are fine with solid colors, the Columbia ascender might be the best bang for your buck softshell out there. I have the FL whitetail catalyst and I am starting to prefer the Columbia over it.

fordnut

FNG
I bought uncompagre puffy jacket & pants. Best thing I’ve bought in years. It very quiet under an outer jacket & pants. I just Bowhunt & 5 deer didn’t hear nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MNWILD15

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Sitka Kelvin Aerolite jacket as an insulation piece for Late season Whitetail Sits. It is quiet for a puffy jacket and very little bulk compared to traditional Puffy jackets.