Puffy vest or jacket

I have a few vest and use them under a shell or when pretty mild. Generally by the time I am chilled enough to put on a vest I also want my arms covered. If you are choosing one or the other go jacket IMO. Kenai is my go-to but not windblock.

If I could only have one I would say jacket. Overall more versatility and utility IMO, but They both have their uses.

I am a vest fan. Especially when I am wearing a shell that fits trim and I don’t want the bulk in the arms. If you go vest, your arms can be a source of chill in low temps though, even under a shell. However, You save a bit of money and weight too.

Depending on how far you want to go down that rabbit hole, I think their is something to be said for a mid weight or light weight puffy and a nice insulated vest. One of my favorite hiking clothes combos is a nano puff jacket and a north face nuptse vest under a soft or hard shell for bad weather or as outlayers. I have done something similar while hunting with an uncomphagre puffy and a kelvin lite vest or that same nuptse.

Trial153

WKR
I vest guy also, my arms rarely get cold if my core is warm. I pretty much always have some kind of vest on.... my Jetstream and Kevlin Lite see a lot use. my cut off for a puffy vest is about 40, below that I switch to jacket.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If only picking one definitely the jacket. I do find a lot of use for a vest too. They can be layered under a puffy jacket when and if needed. Even though down doesn’t breath a down vest worn while mildly active will breath out the arm openings. Makes a nice pillow for camping or travel.

Jacket for sure for only one.

I have been running a kelvin active jacket and a kelvin light puffy vest, with a rain shell in the pack. That’s been about as versatile as I can find as a lightweight backpacking layering system. So ideally you’d have both.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Puffy jacket for sure
But I’m a huge fan of a light weight, windproof vest. Really helps keep the chill out, without getting hot. Can layer over or under just about anything as well. I always have one with me year round.

Maverick940

Banned
I layer a super light weight fleece vests under a light weight puffy vest, and then cover that with a super light fleece jacket and hip-length rain jacket. If it's below freezing and blowing like mad, I'll wear a light weight puffy jacket over everything and then encase myself in the long rain coat.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whats everyone use the most of. A puffy vest or a jacket. Unsure about which one to get. Thanks

It honestly depends on what part of the year and what the climate is going to be like. I run both the jetstream vest and Jetstream jacket. I really like both of them, but I use them for two different occasions. I will also use both during late November/ December here in Colorado. The Jet stream vest is not going to be a puffy, but it is going to have a Gore Wind stopper membrane. I also will run the Mountain vest or Mountain jacket and the Kelvin Lite vest and Kelvin lite hoody.

That being said what are you going to be using this for? What type of hunting and what season ?

OP
Wireman07

Wireman07

WKR
It honestly depends on what part of the year and what the climate is going to be like. I run both the jetstream vest and Jetstream jacket. I really like both of them, but I use them for two different occasions. I will also use both during late November/ December here in Colorado. The Jet stream vest is not going to be a puffy, but it is going to have a Gore Wind stopper membrane. I also will run the Mountain vest or Mountain jacket and the Kelvin Lite vest and Kelvin lite hoody.

That being said what are you going to be using this for? What type of hunting and what season ?
Going to be using for elk season in montana this year. I have never elk hunted before and my first hunt out of South Dakota. Late October/ Early November

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Going to be using for elk season in montana this year. I have never elk hunted before and my first hunt out of South Dakota. Late October/ Early November

I would go with the Jet Stream vest. It is a Gore Wind stopper and is very warm. It does have a DWR finish, and is going to be an athletic fit. Possible look at the Kelvin lite vest, with a Jetstream jacket as an outer layer. The kelvin lite vest is going to be a puffy style. Personally I like the Jet Stream vest with the jet stream jacket. that is what I have found to be the best set up and I am able to run either from early September to late November/ December

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
I run really cold so I run both. I use the FL uncompahgre vest and jacket. If I had to choose only one I’d go with the jacket though.

Other bests I looked at were the Sitka kelvin lite vest (no solid color so that ruled it out) and the kuiu kenai which is great for activewear and is extremely quiet but it was the most expensive so I passed on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk