Questions on Gear?

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
Well this isn't my first year hunting alone but it's my first year that I don't have a friend with me for some of the hunt so we aren't able to split gear so I need to upgrade and get some things.

First water purification, does one style do better than another what's your preference?

What sleeping bag do you use I'm looking for a small lightweight one but I don't really want spend more than $200. I'll be using it in June-Late September mainly.

What do you use to charge your phone? This is my first year having one, I used to be able to go 4 days without charging my phone but with an Iphone I get 2 if I'm lucky.

Thanks for your help!

Water purification: Gravity feed type. I was running a MSR MiniWorks but I am sick of pumping. I am now using a Sawyer 3 way inline hooked to a 3L reservoir

Sleeping bag: I dont really have a recommendation at that price point.

External batter packs for the Iphone: New Trent and Anker

New Trent battery packs work great

Katadyn hiker pro filter, Aquamira drops or MSR aquatabs.

Marmot makes pretty good bags at the lower price point.

I use a Platypus gravity filter and love it. I tried the water purification tablets and did not like them at all.

For a sleeping bag, I'm a big fan of GoLite. I got one of their 850 fill down bags that weighs less then 2 pounds. If you watch there sight for a while, they have a tab for clearance items. I bought the bag for $150 when they were selling in the store for $400.

Phone?! Lol, I don't go anywhere that has cell phone coverage.

Check out Go Lite for a light bag. Think I got mine on sale for just over your mentioned price. You can come close to $200 if you hit a sale. Love my New Trent, I had plenty of juice left after an eight night outing.

Brent

Ya the golite bags are pretty tight. Its what i use and i like it but anybody bigger then me would probably not like it.

Check out the Sierra designs dridown bags. I picked up a zissou 23 in the $200 area at campsaver website they always have 20% off coupons and free shipping, saved myself over 2 lbs compared to my synthetic mountain equipment coop bag

The GoLite is a great deal, but I can't zip it around my chest, so you may wanna check the girth dimensions before purchasing.

Ya, that's true. It is a little tight. But I wear that sucker like a shirt and it just tosses and turns with me. The one major flaw I don't like about down is that I toss and turn a lot as I sleep (I do it at home to so it's not a bag issue), the down on the side I was laying on compresses. It takes a little bit for the down to expand back out and the side I was laying on is still squished so I suddenly get a cold draft until the down expands back out where it was compressed.

Keep an eye on the classifieds you can find the Western Mountaineering for 200 range used. Its a 1 lbs bag good down to 35 degrees. I have it and love it. Best Sleeping bag Ive ever owned.

+1 on the Western Mountaineering, I'm not familiar with the model SHTF mentions, but I've used one of their 0 deg bags quite a bit. I was definitely sleeping in comfort. This one was a little pricey though ($400-500 new). I borrowed it from a friend who use to rent out gear. But I'm sure you can buy them used. I'm always a little hesitant to buy used bags, although I buy a lot of other stuff used. My reasoning for that is that you can trash a bag real fast just by leaving it in a stuff sack or not washing it appropriately.

I've always been an ebay shopper for gear. I can't afford a lot of the top end gear so I end up buying the stuff 2-3 years old from classifieds. I've been burned twice now on sleeping bags from ebay so that's why I finally just bit the bullet and bought the new GoLite. I'm so glad I spent the $150 on this bag. I've spent a lot of nights shivering all night long. There's been a few times I couldn't stop shaking so I just got up and started a fire up and wrapped in a tarp by the fire. I've never had a bad night's sleep in my new bag.

Went over to campsaver and bought a bag. Its the montbell #3UL spiral hugger. I keep hearing about the stretch bags and how comfortable they are. Guess I'll find out. Also, got a 20% discount for 1st order on site. (got a coupon code). Spent $256 and shaved off 2# on my pack weight. sweet!

Mountain Hardwear makes a decent bag below $200. I have personally used a TNF cats meow for a number of years before switching and it worked very well.

Ba pad/bag combo
Luxurylite cot if I can sneak in an extra 3 lbs

Katadyn hiker pro

New trent charging case

I use Craigslist and the classified forum on here and a few others for gear. I go check out new products in the store and then watch the classifieds. I don't make enough money to buy it new and if I tear it up on a hunt or an outing I know I will get rather upset. I picked up a 0* Mountainsmith bag for $25, two pair of Asolo boots that were brand new for $70 and loads of other items.

Back