Quitting Alcohol

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
I have throttled back quite a bit. Key for me has been substitute activities. In particular I replaced having a drink or two with exercise and also taking an online course. Neither allow for a drink before and when I am done I just go to sleep.

I'm 3/13/13. Great job!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Yep I went 30 days in patient at rehab here in Nashville. As much as I wanted to stop, I physically couldn’t get past the withdrawals. Got detoxed, got out, got a home group and a sponsor, went to 90 meetings in 90 days and worked the Steps over 10 months. Now I sponsor others and have seen many young men grow.

Started drinking and smoking in middle school and by senior year in high school I could “handle” my drinking. Drank in college and my first years of marriage. Wife gave me an ultimatum to either quit or get divorced. Proceeded to be a vodka in the closet drinker for the last couple years until I got really bad.

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats!

Yep I went 30 days in patient at rehab here in Nashville. As much as I wanted to stop, I physically couldn’t get past the withdrawals. Got detoxed, got out, got a home group and a sponsor, went to 90 meetings in 90 days and worked the Steps over 10 months. Now I sponsor others and have seen many young men grow.

Started drinking and smoking in middle school and by senior year in high school I could “handle” my drinking. Drank in college and my first years of marriage. Wife gave me an ultimatum to either quit or get divorced. Proceeded to be a vodka in the closet drinker for the last couple years until I got really bad.
A lot like my path. I put myself in a rehab also. It was a way to get away from my X wife as well she still drinks. My fiance is a director for 5 sober living homes, and I give back a lot. Great job on your end!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Haven't been on Rok lately so wanted to check in to see where this thread was at, and push this back to the top. Hope everyone is progressing in 2024 as they planned, whether is quitting altogether, slowing down, or just have a healthier relationship with alcohol. Been almost a year and a quarter since I've had a drink, and I can finally say it's more normal than not. I don't get the frequent "why aren't you drinking" questions or the annoying "you start having fun again yet" poke from friends. I cannot say I'll never have another drink in my life but as for now and in the future, I want, there's just no need.

Good luck to everyone staying the course and being the best version of yourself....

I'm at 15 + months now. Heading to my Monday AA meeting tonight. I also go to a life recovery group meeting on Thursdays which is like Bible study with the 12 steps of AA. I highly recommend them if you can find one close.

In the meantime, I'm running more than I ever have. 80 miles in January, 170 in February, and my March goal is 200. The elk mountains in September should be a lot easier. Lol

hunt1up

WKR
Just passed 18 months. Pretty well on cruise control at this point. I walked by a pretty popular local brewery the other evening and everyone was looking happy and having fun with the patio open and stuff. I told my wife that was one part of drinking I missed. But that thought faded pretty fast. Even though I’d bet I could have a beer now and not start back up, the benefits of doing that are just too small when compared to the life changing benefits I’ve found from quitting.

The physical and mental health improvements are truly amazing.

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
Started month 3 beginning of march. All honesty, I thought I’d feel better than I do. I hurt more, sleep worse, and overall a more depressed feeling.
Sometimes this happens. Lean into healthy habits when you can. Drink enough water, eat healthy foods and exercise. It is hard to misbehave or stay up late when you are dead tired from kicking your own ass. It all snowballs into a happier, more fulfilling life.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
Sometimes this happens. Lean into healthy habits when you can. Drink enough water, eat healthy foods and exercise. It is hard to misbehave or stay up late when you are dead tired from kicking your own ass. It all snowballs into a happier, more fulfilling life.
I’ve ate good, and worked out hard just about my entire life which I’m still doing.

Staying asleep is my main issue right now I believe. Lack of sleep is compounding what
would otherwise be minor inconveniences.

I had a sleep study, no sleep apnea.

180ls1

WKR
I’ve ate good, and worked out hard just about my entire life which I’m still doing.

Staying asleep is my main issue right now I believe. Lack of sleep is compounding what
would otherwise be minor inconveniences.

I had a sleep study, no sleep apnea.

How much have you studied sleep? I follow the Huberman, Matt Walker and others protocol and it profoundly impacted my sleep. I almost never drink but am a poor sleeper also.

Delay caffeine for 90 mins after waking.
Try to get AM sunlight as early as possible, I ruck and walk my dog first thing.
I have a cooling fan powered bed sheet
I also take supplements. Occasionally melatonin
No blue light before sleep (1hr).
I am religious about bed time and waking time.

There is a lot else but these are critical for me.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
How much have you studied sleep? I follow the Huberman, Matt Walker and others protocol and it profoundly impacted my sleep. I almost never drink but am a poor sleeper also.

Delay caffeine for 90 mins after waking.
Try to get AM sunlight as early as possible, I ruck and walk my dog first thing.
I have a cooling fan powered bed sheet
I also take supplements. Occasionally melatonin
No blue light before sleep (1hr).
I am religious about bed time and waking time.

There is a lot else but these are critical for me.
I like huberman. Any episode numbers for me?

Happy I saw this thread. I'm just over a year of no booze. Definitely happy with my decision. My wife and I are in a much better place, I sleep better, feel better, I hope I'm generally better to be around and I really hope I am setting a better example for my kiddos. Its still tempting at times but no where near how it was the first 6 months. The first six months was real work and many conscious decisions throughout the day not to drink. Hope everyone else gets something good out of this post.

BowBaboon

FNG
Started month 3 beginning of march. All honesty, I thought I’d feel better than I do. I hurt more, sleep worse, and overall a more depressed feeling.
Congrats man. I'm on the same time frame as you. This is the longest I've been sober in 10 years.

My drinking simmered down when my wife gave birth to our son at the end of last year, but I came home far too drunk one night and decided that was enough.

I went into a pretty bad spot with depression, a newborn, work, etc., and had to seek help. I wound up on meds for depression/anxiety. Didn't feel great getting prescribed those, but man they've helped a lot and helped keep me away from the bottle.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t encountered this page yet. I just surpassed one month with no alcohol. I won’t say I was in a position that I had a problem and needed to stop, but I definitely wanted to reset that part of my life. I think I’ve grown up and been around plenty of people that didn’t have their drinking under control and it always helped keep me in line.

I took my oldest daughter to visit my family in Indiana in the end of January. I’m not sure how many of you are familiar with Indiana in January, but about the only fun activities involve alcohol and that activity is mostly sitting at a bar drinking. Most times I’m home I take that opportunity to have a couple beers with my dad, nothing wild. But I got up one morning and just thought “what good is alcohol doing in my life?” And thought about the things that are most important to me and honestly I couldn’t think of a way that it made any of those things better. I could however think of times that it negatively impacted those things.

So here I am. I don’t think it’s forever, but I’m definitely enjoying the freedom of not joining in on the “party” while out at work events in the middle of the week. I don’t think I’ve noticed a huge change in my health, but I do enjoy not having to deal with the slow mornings after a night of drinking.

Recently came to the conclusion I want/need to stop drinking. I've seen a few guys on here say they've been sober for years.

I've been pretty strong willed when it comes to kicking habits, but this one has been a one step forward three steps back one. Haha

Those of you who have stopped did you notice many benefits on your hunts, mindset, or physical shape?
Any tips on the process?
For real, the best thing I’ve done for myself in years.
Draw the will to exchange and divert energy. The money I saved has me going on a hunt I would have decided was out of reach previously. Decided?, BS i would have excused myself and made up crap to further my habit, pickling into oblivion.
Now, I will remember to live the moments and manifest a new experience.
Big words I know, but you have to clear through the incessant harbor fog to start a long journey.
You got this

Yoder

WKR
Just passed 18 months. Pretty well on cruise control at this point. I walked by a pretty popular local brewery the other evening and everyone was looking happy and having fun with the patio open and stuff. I told my wife that was one part of drinking I missed. But that thought faded pretty fast. Even though I’d bet I could have a beer now and not start back up, the benefits of doing that are just too small when compared to the life changing benefits I’ve found from quitting.

The physical and mental health improvements are truly amazing.
Have you been to a bar when everyone is hammered and you're sober? You quickly realize how stupid and annoying everyone is when they are drunk. I think drinking gets romanticized. Everyone thinks they are more funny or charming. In reality they just act like more of an ass.