Quitting Alcohol

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
Right!? I can't believe how much I've saved over 2 months.
976a52f1716a5a60bb1fdade414ff106.jpg

What app is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
This thread is awesome. There's certainly a revival going on in the world these days. Seeing men step up and take charge of their health is so cool.

I'm one of those weird guys that has never drank, and I'll tell you it really is one of the best decisions I've ever made. So much less drama in my 20s, no fall-off in fitness as I hit 30. When you don't drink, people only know one version of you, and in your truest form. It's a beautiful thing!

Keep it up fellas.

I gave up alcohol almost 3 years ago now, mind you I was a alcoholic to suppress depression at the young age of 22 . Giving it up helped my physical health quite a bit and just made me feel much better. Also taught me to deal with my problems instead of trying to run

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

survivalistd

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up alcohol almost 3 years ago now, mind you I was a alcoholic to suppress depression at the young age of 22 . Giving it up helped my physical health quite a bit and just made me feel much better. Also taught me to deal with my problems instead of trying to run

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Excellent post. So often it's a crutch to hide behind and completely understandable. But realizing the real harm it causes is what wakes us up. Hopefully before it's too late.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
Had a Dad who smoked all of his teenage and adult life. Usual story... too hard to quit. That is until they just don't give you cigarettes in the hospital. Miracle of miracles, he didn't smoke for the weeks in the hospital or even at home cause of the oxygen tank. Turns out he always could quit but chose not to. The emphasema got him.

I've neither quit smoking or drinking but haven't had a smoke in decades and drink in years. You can get used to anything... yes anything. Babies get potty trained so pretty much anyone can change a habit.

ChrisA

WKR
Several things came together and started me on this journey and number one was this thread which got me to listen to the Huberman episode #86 podcast. Secondly, this thread made me really think about why, what was I trying to escape or accomplish? There's more but those two reasons are key and wouldn't have happened without @Stubborn_bowhunter starting this thread, thank you.

Haro450

FNG
I never "quit" drinking. As my life changed getting married and having kids I just didn't drink. Now I drink a couple times a year. Usually I always wake up the next day regretting it. I can saw that I am glad I transitioned away from it. Better health and more motivation to be out doing the things I enjoy. Don't just quit for yourself but do it for those around you.

Damage

FNG
Hit 12 years this may 22nd. Life is a ton better. Memories are still fresh from when I was drinking... bad stuff. Cops get behind me now and I smile and don't worry. Spend a lot of time in the backcountry. Lots to be thankful for.

I drank to deal with pain, even far past the destruction caused by drinking overshadowed what I was trying to cover up. Early sobriety I realized alot of issues I had, and was covering up. Progress has been slow, but valuable. Things are pretty good, I'm healthier, happier, a better friend, son, partner.

Two years today. One of the best choices I've ever made.

Appreciate all of you!
Hell yeah man congrats! I bet you didn’t know what you were starting here when you first made this thread. I want to join in with those thanking you for getting it going. I lurked this site for a long time and finally joined up last year when I saw this thread and it helped give me a final push to give alcohol a break.

I’m at 11 months now and not sure if I’m quitting forever. All I know is that I’m not drinking today. Tomorrow will most likely be another non-drinking day. It’s not always easy, but it is so simple.

I celebrated my 17th wedding anniversary yesterday and it was one of the best I’ve had in years. We spent a day at the beach just people watching and riding bikes down the boardwalk. I used to hate the beach. A day at the beach meant I either wasn’t drinking all day, or that I had to drink early so I could “sober up” before the drive home. Yesterday I had no worries in the world and no pressure to try and figure the logistics around drinking…crazy to think how much I used to let that control me and my choices.

Anyhow, I appreciate you for starting the thread and everyone else sharing their experiences here.

ODB

WKR
Two years today. One of the best choices I've ever made.

Appreciate all of you!
awesome stuff.

This post is a great reminder about how fast precious time flies. I, along with a lot of guys on this thread, will think “has it been TWO years since this thread started???” And go back and check the first post…

Yup

Here’s to two (and many more) sober, healthy, and happy years.

Mtndawger

FNG
Whatever level your drinking has gotten too the benefits to quitting far outweigh any you get from drinking. It has to be accompanied by other behavior changes though. Better diet. Fewer screens in front of your face. More exercise. Paying more attention to your loved ones. Pursuing other interests. Everyone I know, including myself, is a healthier human being after quitting.

MHB

FNG
Congratulations to those who are celebrating milestones in recovery. Monday, I celebrated 26years of recovery. We each have our own story on how we got to where we are in this journey. Over the years a few things seemed to have remained true.

1) I can’t change the past, I can’t control tomorrow, and live for the moment. Sometimes I must take it hour by hour or even minute by minute to make it through a situation, but it is possible in recovery. Nothing lasts forever, but when you are in the middle of it, it can seem that way.

2) When I have my $#it colored glasses on I need to get out of myself and be of service to others. This ranges form picking out trash in my neighborhood to volunteering with local organizations and giving back to my community, to anonymously helping a random stranger. Whatever it is I need to get out of the self-centered attitude that got me into the position.

3) Having a trusted friend or group of friends that I can bounce my crazy azz thinking off, of to get a different perspective. This helps me see my part in the situation and address it appropriately.

Again, congratulations to those that have taken a step down the road to recovery, whether you are 24 hours or 50+ years down that road.

Matt

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
This is like the stupid shows on the radio... "long time listener, first time caller here"

I have been following this thread for quite some time. Today marks 3 years completely sober for me so I guess its my turn to comment. I decided to get sober 100% on my own. Actually when I told my wife that I was going to try and stop drinking she answered with "what, why?" I had some issues in my life at the time mostly revolving around anger and emotional stability, or lack there of. My kids were 3 and 5 and my wife and I worked opposite shifts, so basically she was a single mom in the morning and me a single dad in the evening. Every night after work I grabbed the kids and went home just the three of us. I own my own business and take on far more than I should so stress seemed to be a constant battle. Easy solution to combat stress each night was to have a couple beers, or 6.

Everyone asks me now if I was an angry drunk. I respond the same each time, I was an angry sober. When I was sober I was on edge, snippy, ready to blow up for any reason. When I had 3+ beers in me I was easy going, happy and fun to be around. I had drank 3-6 beers a weeknight for almost 15 years. On the weekends I could easily drink a 12 pack a day and feel fine. Hell if friends were around or we were going out I could do 20 beers and wake up the next day relatively hangoverless. In one week it all snowballed eventually and I had my coming to Jesus moment. My kids did not deserve to be walking on eggshells with their dad every second that he was sober. They didn't deserve to have to learn to let daddy have a half hour in the garage after work to get loaded so that they could play with him. It was not fair to my wife to constantly have to deal with me being a jerk because I didn't have any alcohol in my system.

When I told my wife I needed to stop she was hesitant because she knew I was an asshole when I was sober. She however vowed to be by my side through it all and support me. All of my friends are drinkers and heavy drinkers. Everything in my life was revolved around drinking. On July 24th 2020 I told my wife I was quitting drinking. We went to some friends house for dinner that night. I gave in and had 2 beers as everyone else had a dozen. That was the last drink I have had in 3 years.

As most everyone here has said it was the best decision of my life. Everything I do now revolves around my wife and kids instead of alcohol. I am genuinely a happy person all the time. I lost a few friends that hindsight has shown they only wanted to drink and don't bother hanging out with a sober. Honestly how good of friends could they have been anyway so not much of a loss there. Anxiety is gone, constant stress gone, emotional rollercoaster gone. I have been able to take on twice as many projects through work and home life with half the headaches. I have found not one con of me quitting drinking.

Thank you all for sharing your own stories and experience with quitting alcohol. For those trying to quit or thinking of quitting just believe in yourself. It will take time but it will benefit you in every aspect of life.

Last edited: