Raccoon Recipe

I trapped a raccoon with a foothold back in February right after that snowy cold front and the meat has been sitting in my freezer ever since. I tried to cook one of the back legs by cooking it in an oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes (to get rid of any disease that may lie in the meat) and then I pan-fried the meat..... Needless to say, it wasn't good and it was probably the worst meat I've ever had. I recently feel guilty for killing the raccoon and not using the meat so I wanted to cook something that would prove me wrong about raccoon meat. Any Suggestions on how I should cook it? Thank you.

Fordguy

WKR
What color is the meat? An old coon hunter I used to know would keep the younger raccoons (with lighter colored meat) to eat. He swore by brining them and cooking them on his grill rotisserie, basting them every so often with his homemade bbq sauce. He said the older raccoons had darker meat, almost purple in color, and he would only feed them to his hounds.

OP
T
It definitely isn't an old coon with how average-sized it was however the meat isn't light looking. I'd say it's in the middle, it doesn't seem very light and it isn't a dark purplish red.

WCB

WKR
pan frying sounds like the worst possible way to cook it. Crock pot it....pulled raccoon with BBQ sauce.

I personally don't eat raccoons but know a few people who have/do once and awhile and this is how they do it.

Poser

WKR
I did one for a party once. We trussed it up, stuffed it and roasted it with veggies. Used a thermometer. It was pretty good.

Jq2

FNG
I found that pressure cooking it before how your going to prepare it works best helps loosen the tendons and fibers in the meat. I have fried it, made sauce picante, and put it in the oven on a bed of candied sweet potatoes. Have all turned out great just have to take the time to prepare it.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely get the glands out! I think their are even more than just the back legs. I would brine it before cooking and braise it in some sort of liquid to tenderize. Good on you for trying, funny what our conscious gets us in to.

OP
T
Definitely get the glands out! I think their are even more than just the back legs. I would brine it before cooking and braise it in some sort of liquid to tenderize. Good on you for trying, funny what our conscious gets us in to.
Yeah I was planning on using the rest of the meat for bait in more traps next trapping season but my conscience said no.

Jdh3

FNG
I’ve got an old cookbook from my grandfather that has some raccoon recipes in it, every single one notes to remove musk glands/nodules and parboil for some amount of time. Would be willing to try once though

Attachments

• B9DA4CA9-7C53-4608-A823-B73700008C8E.jpeg
    B9DA4CA9-7C53-4608-A823-B73700008C8E.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 79A66465-7764-4A64-BDDC-7D1DEA434339.jpeg
    79A66465-7764-4A64-BDDC-7D1DEA434339.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 19

DAD

FNG
Before I moved, I had folks that would take every raccoon carcass that I had. They would toss them in the slow cooker or smoke them. They would shred them up and add BBQ sauce and eat it like pulled pork.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I always wondered where the term "coon ass" came from now i think i know. No way i have ever been hungry enough to even think of cooking one. Southern folk will eat any thing

Poser

WKR
I always wondered where the term "coon ass" came from now i think i know. No way i have ever been hungry enough to even think of cooking one. Southern folk will eat any thing

A “Coon ass” is person from South Louisiana, more specifically, the Lafayette area.

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
Man....coon recipe...interesting. I'll try it. Worse come worse...blehhh. I've had things abroad which were way strange..don't even know what they were ..after few too many shots

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk