rattle can paint for stock questions- * Updated 11/12/23 *

Grip it and rip it lol.

I’ve done a couple ARs. Degreased it first. Did three thin coats of a base (desert tan). Then did the patterns and covered with a matte clear coat. This is my main deer rifle. Painted it in 2016 and it is still holding up. It’s seen probably 50-60 days in the woods including rain, snow, and many miles of walking.
Man that looks extremely good!
It"# not that hard unless you was want the perfect camo look.

I started my cheap 10/22 stock.
Only gun i have that needs painting is a wood stock 870 . Wonder how wood would hold up

Tahoe1305

WKR
Nicely done.

Unrelated question: How do you like that stock?
For the weight it has been great. Only shot a few times but even at 9oz lighter than factory stock the kick doesn’t bother. The small recoil pad is better than it should be.

The BM doesn’t sit perfectly flush but it isn’t too bad and worth the cost in my opinion.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Looks good

I just did a Bergara in a Stockys CF also. Used two different shades of gray on the stock to go with the cerokote color on the barrel and action.

View attachment 472279View attachment 472280
I’m going to snag one of the VGs if I do another project.

Can you confirm weight if that stock if you recall. Their page says “well below 2lbs” but that ain’t helpful.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider

Can you confirm weight if that stock if you recall. Their page says “well below 2lbs” but that ain’t helpful.

I did weigh it, but don’t remember the exact weight. It is under 2 pounds. The Stockys weighed the same as the Bergara stock that was on the rifle. I’ll weigh the original stock later when I get home.
It wasn’t just a simple drop in for the Bergara. Had to do some inletting, and even then I wasn’t happy as the action wobbled side to side. After bedding the stock, the action fits perfect and shoots really, really good.

I think I found the paint I was looking for- Rustoleum Stone Creations

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7992830-Stone-Creations-Spray/dp/B000PIKFK2

First question - is that going to work for a synthetic stock? (Krylon makes a similar one called Coarse Stone Texture as well)

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K18201-Coarse-Texture-Granite/dp/B000C0186S

Second question - stock prep? Using rubbing alcohol enough?

Third question - should I use any primer or adhesive coat?

Fourth question - how many coats of paint, how long in between coats?

Fifth (and final :)) question - use a coat of sealer? would this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K18200007-Clear-Sealer-Ounce/dp/B0033PKFY0

Thanks a bunch!
Here's my go-to stock paint. I've painted at least seven stocks with this stuff and it has worked flawlessly. Gives a good grip on those slick synthetic stocks too. I like the tan for blued steel and the dark gray for stainless rifles.

I just wipe down the stock with a soapy rag, rinse with a wet cloth and dry with paper towels.

No primer

About 4 coats with 20 min between coats

No sealer

Finally, make sure you give it days to dry.

Basecamphunt

Lil-Rokslider
I rattle can painted a .22, 3 coats and a clear. We use it a lot around our cabin and it can get scuffed and chipped if you’re hard on it…probably like a lot of things. Definitely the cheapest route to go and looks good.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I finally got this done :). Thanks for all the tips posted- much appreciated.

I first scuffed it w/ a red pad. Wiped down with alcohol, let it dry and then sprayed two coats of the adhesive. Let it dry and then four coats of the Rustoleum. The first coat looked like $hit, second coat as well. Third coat started looking better, the fourth coat finally what I was hoping for!

24 hours between coats, figured I'd let each coat dry thoroughly.

Then hit it with two coats of clear, again 24 hour between coats.

I'm not sure how this textured stuff will hold up; if it doesn't I'll try a more traditional paint, but right now it looks (and feels) pretty good :D

eP9BcKP.jpg

PheMzzb.jpg

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well- looks like I'm only going to one season out of the paint job. I'm 99% sure it's the paint- just too granular, need a smoother finish paint. I've still got plenty of the adhesive primer and clear coat.

If anyone knows of gray speckle paint (that isn't meant to simulate rock including it's texture)- let me know.

PXnu16M.jpg

Here's my go-to stock paint. I've painted at least seven stocks with this stuff and it has worked flawlessly. Gives a good grip on those slick synthetic stocks too. I like the tan for blued steel and the dark gray for stainless rifles.

I just wipe down the stock with a soapy rag, rinse with a wet cloth and dry with paper towels.

No primer

About 4 coats with 20 min between coats

No sealer

Finally, make sure you give it days to dry.
Can youpost some pics of some finished stocks saw this at Walmart today and almost got some