Razor HD 12x50 vs Swarovski EL 10x42

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
Currently own the razor HD 12x50's, and have been very happy with them for my purposes. I'm primarily a mule deer hunter across Utah, Wyoming and Colorado. I've recently noticed a couple of Swaro EL 10x42's for sale in the classifieds within a range that I can afford. For some reason, I've never seen the 12x50 ELs up for grabs. These would be my preferred model, but I just can't afford a pair unless they're used.

The only reason I'd consider not pulling the trigger on the Swaros is the loss of magnification going from 12x to 10x. I glass solely with a tripod, and have picked up game out to 2-3 miles with the razors. Would I be giving up any ability to locate game at a long distance going down to 10x, but with better glass?

Thanks

Theres a couple pair of EL 12's on here currently but they sell for quite a bit more used than the 10x42 EL's, they have a much higher retail price.

If you're going to spring for the EL 12's just wait for a deal on NL 12's, they blow the EL's out of the water and a couple pair have been listed for $2500-$2600 in the last couple months which is a steal and in the same price range as used EL 12's generally list for.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Theres a couple pair of EL 12's on here currently but they sell for quite a bit more used than the 10x42 EL's, they have a much higher retail price.

If you're going to spring for the EL 12's just wait for a deal on NL 12's, they blow the EL's out of the water and a couple pair have been listed for $2500-$2600 in the last couple months which is a steal and in the same price range as used EL 12's generally list for.
I’ve taken a bit of pause in the NLs due to rumors of eye placement sensitivity and blackout. I’ve seen this many times with higher mag glass and smaller exit pupil (10x32, etc). Not saying everyone experiences them but I don’t the sensitivity. The weight saving would be awesome though.

Not a whole lot to improve on from the ELs except ergonomics which the NLs clearly do.

I’ve taken a bit of pause in the NLs due to rumors of eye placement sensitivity and blackout. I’ve seen this many times with higher mag glass and smaller exit pupil (10x32, etc). Not saying everyone experiences them but I don’t the sensitivity. The weight saving would be awesome though.

Not a whole lot to improve on from the ELs except ergonomics which the NLs clearly do.

I have the NL 12’s, they are no more sensitive to black outs than the EL 8.5’s, neither are sensitive are all. They have a very forgiving image, I would say even more so than the EL 8.5’s due to the finer adjusting 6 position eye cups.

I had EL 12’s in the past and no way in hell would I take them over the NL’s under any circumstances. NL’s are superior in every way.

JakeSCH

WKR

I had blackouts while glassing towards sunsets with the NL 10x but none with the 12x. Blackouts are no fun and never had them with EL 10x or 8.5x.

OP, I like 12x on a tripod and would not be satisfied going back to 10x. I agree holding out for the EL 12x or NL 12x (I love my NL 12x). However, if you want an improvement in the process there are some Vortex UHD 12x50's for sale. I've heard it was a big step up between HD & UHD.

10ringer

WKR
OP, what qualities of your current razors do you feel are lacking?
In the 10x comparison i did with razors and el it was a big difference when you compared lots of viewing situations. Els can see deeper through trees and brush when searching for bedded animals. El’s can make out details in shadows much better. El’s handle glares way better when looking towards rising or setting sun. When lighting is poor, foggy and gray the el’s still produce a clear image with contrast and colors jump out more.

If 12x is working for you, hold out and save up for El 12x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ken Swenson

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
OP, what qualities of your current razors do you feel are lacking?
In the 10x comparison i did with razors and el it was a big difference when you compared lots of viewing situations. Els can see deeper through trees and brush when searching for bedded animals. El’s can make out details in shadows much better. El’s handle glares way better when looking towards rising or setting sun. When lighting is poor, foggy and gray the el’s still produce a clear image with contrast and colors jump out more.

If 12x is working for you, hold out and save up for El 12x.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of what you mention regarding shadows, looking towards the sun, and edge to edge clarity are what I’d like to see more of.

I’m 90% happy with the HDs, and I’ve glassed a lot of game with them. I’m not convinced that spending more on glass would even find me more game. If anything, it would be for a better viewing experience. Less eye-strain during multi-day hunts and more contrast in the shadows and overall image are what I’m willing to dish out more money for. Basically, I’d be happy to pay out more for a more comfortable experience in glassing.

One thing I’d be curious to experiment with is putting the razor 12’s next to some Swarovski EL 10x42s to see if the loss in magnification equates to less game spotted at long distance. If it didn’t, I’d probably jump on some 10x42s tomorrow. Same would go for comparing EL 10’s to 12’s. I already have a set of 8’s that I use for thick cover. So this second set would be for sitting on a tripod and glassing across wide canyons and spotting mulies in their beds.