Vortex Razor HD vs UHD

AdventureAwaits

FNG
Classified Approved
Has anyone compare the 12x50 HD side by side with the UHD glass? I looking to upgrade from my vipers and can’t decide whether to spent the extra $800. I am looking to stay with vortex strictly for the warranty they have

nobody

WKR
Worth it. I own the UHD’s, brother owns the HD’s. It’s a definite upgrade. The HD’s aren’t as bad as some people would have you believe, but the UHD’s are absolutely phenomenal.

Somebody said it perfect on another thread: if the UHD was made by ANYBODY but Vortex, they would be spoken about very differently. But since they’re made by vortex everybody turns up their nose at them.

I had 12x42 Vortex UHD last year that I bought for dad to glass and I had Swaro NL Pure 12x42 that I used.

Very close comparison. If I rem correctly - the swaro let me see a tad bit longer in low light. But considering the price disparity - the UHD were the winners because of price savings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned Vortex HD glass, and used friends UHD glass. UHD is definitely superior by a long shot.

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
UHD are far superior to HD. I've owned both, sold the HD to upgrade to the UHD. One thing that sold me on the UHDs was glassing into high-contrast areas, like dark timber shadows on a bright, sunny day. The UHDs have a much wider dynamic range (photography term, don't know if it can be used in binoculars), meaning picking detail out of dark shadows in broad daylight is much easier. For the unit I hunt, this matters quite a bit.

Any binocular with the Abbe-Koenig prisms is going to be bulky, by nature. 4-8 extra ounces in the field is more than worth it to me.

Definitely better (I was workin with 10s not 12s), skip the HD and get the UHD or something similar.

I have 10x42 UHDs. Out antelope guide in Wyoming was using EL Range Swaros. The performance wasn’t exactly the same but damn close enough for 1/2 the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
It's important to understand that one of the reasons UHD's are so good is the superior AK prisms, which by virtue of design, make them larger than most roof prism binoculars with the conventional SP prisms (like the Razor HD's). The weight of the UHD's is not bad in my opinion. I've always thought SLC's were on the heavy side.

JGRaider

WKR
I love the UHD's optics, but as I've said before, they are way bigger and bulkier, ergonomically, than competing $1400 glass. I compared them to my SLC's and optically they are right there, but are WAY bigger. Otherwise, I'd be a user.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I love the UHD's optics, but as I've said before, they are way bigger and bulkier, ergonomically, than competing $1400 glass. I compared them to my SLC's and optically they are right there, but are WAY bigger. Otherwise, I'd be a user.
I'm happy with my (Japan) Razor HDs for this reason. Tried upgrading to a set of SLCs and Meostars and they were a little too heavy for my liking with no real advantage for me optically. The Razors are a good compromise bino. Better FOV than most too. I glassed all day with them on Sunday picking out blacktail in a clearcut and had zero eye strain. Love them.