Reading recommendations- historical and conservation centric

Grumman

WKR
Not about hunting but The Worst Hard Time was an interesting read about the Dust Bowl and the agricultural land conservation issues. The author also wrote a book about Teddy called The Big Burn I haven’t read yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Third vote for American Coyote by Flores...I also have American Serengeti but have not started...Sand county almanac is up soon also...not conservation related but Illumination in the flat woods by Joe Hutto is a great read and also getting his book about mule deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for some recommendations on reading material. I would like to learn more about the history of conservation of the land and wildlife and would love your input. Doesn't necessarily have to be hunting related.

I'm also interested in Teddy Roosevelt as a person as well as a conservationist. Lay it on me.
I recently wrote a book about the arc of the conservation movement that you may be interested in checking out. "This Land Was Saved for You and Me" covers the roughly 100 year period from Frederick Law Olmsted's first wanderings in Yosemite (1864) to the passage of The Wilderness Act in 1964 and provides an overview of how and why our public lands were established. TR plays a prominent role, of course. Published by Stackpole Books, you can find it in all the usual places.

If you haven't read Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac" then you need to start right there. It is considered a literary classic and a conservation bible. The newest version with an introduction by Barbara Kingsolver is a must-read. She offers a modern day take on his message that is just brilliant.